-   -   Debian on EEE -- really nice, but how can I resize windows which already seem to be at their minimal size? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/318434-debian-eee-really-nice-but-how-can-i-resize-windows-already-seem-their-minimal-size.html)

Thierry Chatelet 02-01-2010 11:10 AM

On Monday 01 February 2010 12:21:12 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Debian on this EEE pc for a long time
> (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC). It is a Lenny,
> w. 2.6.26-2-686. Everything is pretty fine, but, as my scr. resolution
> has only a max. of 1024 x 600 (as I am using a 1000 HE), some of the
> windows are sometimes too big for my screen, and the buttons are
> consequently out of sight. The problem is that these windows seem to
> be unresizeable. Consequently, either I need to keep in mind where the
> `Confirm' (or `OK') button is, or I need to check on another computer,
> to see the order of these buttons. Once it is done, I am able to
> confirm using the tab key, to go from one clickable to another one.
>
> How can I resize these windows? (They seem to be at their minimal
> size.)
>
> Thanks!

Which window manager are you using?
Thierry

Merciadri Luca 02-01-2010 11:52 AM

Debian on EEE -- really nice, but how can I resize windows which already seem to be at their minimal size?

Merciadri Luca 02-01-2010 11:53 AM

Debian on EEE -- really nice, but how can I resize windows which already seem to be at their minimal size?

Thierry Chatelet 02-01-2010 12:28 PM

On Monday 01 February 2010 13:53:46 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> writes:
> > Which window manager are you using?
>
> I am using X (GNOME).

Well, I am using kde, but you must have similar feature in gnome: so, in kde:
Click on the icon on the left of the window's title bar ->Advence -> Special
Window setting, and adjust the size of your window there.
Thierry

Merciadri Luca 02-01-2010 01:06 PM

Debian on EEE -- really nice, but how can I resize windows which already seem to be at their minimal size?

Merciadri Luca 02-01-2010 01:17 PM

Debian on EEE -- really nice, but how can I resize windows which already seem to be at their minimal size?

Stephen Powell 02-01-2010 01:35 PM

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 07:53:46 -0500 (EST), Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> writes:
>> Which window manager are you using?
>
> I am using X (GNOME).

I'm not trying to split hairs here; but strictly speaking, GNOME is
a *session* manager, not a *window* manager. The default *window*
manager in the GNOME environment is metacity. It is possible to
use metacity without using GNOME. I don't recommend it, but it
is possible.

Unfortunately, this does nothing to help you with your problem. :-(

Tixy 02-01-2010 01:37 PM

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 13:52 +0100, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Tixy <debianuser@tixy.myzen.co.uk> writes:
<snip>
> > You can drag any (non-maximised) window around by clicking on it
> > anywhere with the left mouse button whilst holding down the Alt key.
> > That way, you can move it up/left until you see the things you want
> > access to.
> For sure. I knew this, but, if the windows is too big (because of the
> text it contains), moving it this way (or with other shortcuts) only
> causes it to move horizontally, and not vertically(!)
<snip>

I can move windows vertically too - that's what I do to get to menu
buttons on my EEEPC 1000HE running Debian Squeeze with the Gnome
Desktop. (I'm sure it was the same when I ran Lenny.)

--
Tixy

Klistvud 02-01-2010 01:38 PM

Debian on EEE -- really nice, but how can I resize windows which already seem to be at their minimal size?