Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
hce

Default Burn CD

Hi,

Is following burn CD command correct? I've got following errors:

$ sudo cdrecord -scanbus

cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
1,1,0 101) ' ' 'ATAPI CDROM ' '110B' Removable CD-ROM
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *

$ sudo cdrecord -v -eject speed=1 dev=1,1,0 cd.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
cdrecord: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character. Cannot
open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Thank you.

Jim

Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 AM
steef

hce wrote:

[...]

hi,

what are you trying to burn: data, i guess? if so: include -data and
-pad. what i remember of cdrecord: you should point to dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 ,
try further with -tao or -dao within the command.

hope this helps.
reg.,

steef

--
drs. steef van duin

publicist, research-journalist

Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Gerard Robin

Is following burn CD command correct? I've got following errors:

$ sudo cdrecord -scanbus

cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
1,1,0 101) ' ' 'ATAPI CDROM ' '110B' Removable CD-ROM
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *

$ sudo cdrecord -v -eject speed=1 dev=1,1,0 cd.iso

I don't use cdrecord anymore(I use wodim) but with cdrecord I wrote:

sudo cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 speed=10 -v -eject cd.iso

hth
--
Gérard

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM
hce

On 1/8/08, steef <steefvanduin@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is following burn CD command correct? I've got following errors:
> >

> > $ sudo cdrecord -scanbus
> >
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> > 1,1,0 101) ' ' 'ATAPI CDROM ' '110B' Removable CD-ROM
> > 1,2,0 102) *
> > 1,3,0 103) *
> > 1,4,0 104) *
> > 1,5,0 105) *
> > 1,6,0 106) *
> > 1,7,0 107) *
> >
> > $ sudo cdrecord -v -eject speed=1 dev=1,1,0 cd.iso
> > cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> > cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> > cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
> > dependent defaults.
> > cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> >
> > TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> > scsidev: '1,0,0'
> > scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> > cdrecord: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character. Cannot
> > open SCSI driver.
> > cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> > cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> hi,
>
> what are you trying to burn: data, i guess? if so: include -data and
> -pad. what i remember of cdrecord: you should point to dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 ,
> try further with -tao or -dao within the command.
> hope this helps.
> reg.,

To burn photos (JPG files) in iso. I tried following command, but failed again:

$ sudo cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=1 -tao -v -eject cd1.iso

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,1,0'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : ' '
Identifikation : 'ATAPI CDROM '
Revision : '110B'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-ROM.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder
found on this target.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wron

Thanks steef and hth.

Jim

Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM
steef

hce wrote:

[...]

cdrecord does not seem to accept your burner.......... strange, but not
unprecedented. i had a comparable problem with an optiac burner last year.

you *could* try to insert -data and -pad on your commandline, but i do
not think that will be much of a difference.

in your position i should install wodim. for me wodim ended these problems.

hth.,

steef

Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Bob McGowan

hce wrote:

[...]

Looking at the output for the scanbus run, your device is reported as a
CD-ROM. Either you don't have a CD writer, or it is not being recognized.

As Steef suggested, you should upgrade to wodim, which may also require
a 2.6 kernel for full support. wodim uses the IDE/ATAPI device files
directly (/dev/hdc and /dev/hdd on my system), which needs kernel help,
I believe.

--
Bob McGowan

Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 AM
hce

On 1/10/08, steef <steefvanduin@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> hce wrote:

> >> hi,
> >>
> >> what are you trying to burn: data, i guess? if so: include -data and
> >> -pad. what i remember of cdrecord: you should point to dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 ,
> >> try further with -tao or -dao within the command.
> >> hope this helps.
> >> reg.,
> >>

> > To burn photos (JPG files) in iso. I tried following command, but failed again:
> >
> > $ sudo cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=1 -tao -v -eject cd1.iso
> >
> > TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> > scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,1,0'
> > devname: 'ATAPI'
> > scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
> > Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
> > Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> > Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
> > Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
> > Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> > SCSI buffer size: 64512
> > atapi: 1
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> > Device type : Removable CD-ROM
> > Version : 0
> > Response Format: 1
> > Vendor_info : ' '
> > Identifikation : 'ATAPI CDROM '
> > Revision : '110B'
> > Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-ROM.
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> > cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder
> > found on this target.
> > cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wron
> >
> > Thanks steef and hth.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> hi,
>
> cdrecord does not seem to accept your burner.......... strange, but not
> unprecedented. i had a comparable problem with an optiac burner last year.
>
> you *could* try to insert -data and -pad on your commandline, but i do
> not think that will be much of a difference.
>
> in your position i should install wodim. for me wodim ended these problems.

Ok, I am going to install wodim (I've never used it, may take me days
to learn it). Years ago, seems everyone used cdrecord for burning CD.
Is it in now days that the wodim is more popular than the cdrecord?

Thanks steef and Bob.

Jim

Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM

>Ok, I am going to install wodim (I've never used it, may take me days
>to learn it). Years ago, seems everyone used cdrecord for burning CD.
>Is it in now days that the wodim is more popular than the cdrecord?

Why do you believe that an extremely outdated version from cdrecord
where somebody even added bugs could become more popular than the official
maintained software? If you don't know this, wodim _is_ an extremely outdated
cdrecord where some people added bugs that never have been in the original.

The answer is that some Linux distributions try to force their users to use the
defective fork instead of the original because they don't like to cooperate
with the author.

Get a recent original from

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

and make sure to install cdrecord/readcd/cdda2wav suid root.

Note that even the mkisofs variant from the fork (called genisoimage) is full
of nasty bugs that cause filesystem inconsisties. Linux may ignore these
filesystem inconsisties.... but if you like to use your media on other platorms
or even with future Linux versions you should prefer maintained original
software.

The "cdrkit" project is dead since more than 8 months and it had only 8 months
of speudo activities.... do not bet on a dead horse.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Kc9EYE

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 07:35:51PM +1100, hce wrote:

> Ok, I am going to install wodim (I've never used it, may take me days
> to learn it). Years ago, seems everyone used cdrecord for burning CD.
> Is it in now days that the wodim is more popular than the cdrecord?
>
> Thanks steef and Bob.
>
> Jim

Hello, that is apparently a long story if you start to read into it. It
has somenthing to do with licensing and philosophy. As far as I can tell
from a user standpoint, the programs appear to be almost pin for pin
from the command line as far as options and what not. Also if your sure
that the device your trying to write to is a burner, I would create a
symbolic link called "cdrw" in your /dev directory to that specific
device file. It keeps the fudge factor down, and keeps you from
declaring the device in your command. Or, wodim from trying to guess the
device.
Good Luck
P. Lane

Old 01-11-2008, 11:11 AM

>Hello, that is apparently a long story if you start to read into it. It
>has somenthing to do with licensing and philosophy. As far as I can tell

The story has nothing to do with licensing or philosophy but with the missing
will for quality oriented collaboration with the Author.

The attacks against the cdrtools project started after I rejected to integrate
a patch into the official source because it did not solve the problem but
instead added bugs.

>from a user standpoint, the programs appear to be almost pin for pin
>from the command line as far as options and what not. Also if your sure
>that the device your trying to write to is a burner, I would create a
>symbolic link called "cdrw" in your /dev directory to that specific
>device file. It keeps the fudge factor down, and keeps you from
>declaring the device in your command. Or, wodim from trying to guess the
>device.

You do not need to play these silly /dev/ games if you use the original
cdrecord.

If you only have one drive (this should be the case for > 95% of all users),
simply omit the dev= parameter and cdecord will automagically find your drive.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)