Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Hans Vogelsberger

Default What is going on in debian-user?

Since some days debian-user list is full of spam. Most of it is already
marked SPAM in subject by my provider's filter and therefore gets
deleted by my personal filter (and shortly noted in my mailfilter.log).
So do all the protesting mails with 'spam' in their subject line, which
seem to be quite a lot. Others are found in the junk folder of Icedove.
But there are still too many coming through (even Nigeria connection and
Lottery mails!)

On Jan 2 I protested against spam with the subject 'Pls check the new
site'. After that, some big-mouth thought himself entitled to instruct
me about what anyhow everybody knows: that I only receive what the
spamfilters let through. Well, in the meantime it seems that every spam
is let through by the debian-user filters.

H. Vogelsberger

--
To ?!?avoid spam?!? this address accepts only mails 'To:' subscribed lists.
Zur ?!?Vermeidung von Spam?!? akzeptiert diese Adresse nur Mails 'An:' abonnierte Listen.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Listas Locatel

Hans Vogelsberger escribió:
Since some days debian-user list is full of spam. Most of it is
already marked SPAM in subject by my provider's filter and therefore
gets deleted by my personal filter (and shortly noted in my
mailfilter.log). So do all the protesting mails with 'spam' in their
subject line, which seem to be quite a lot. Others are found in the
junk folder of Icedove. But there are still too many coming through
(even Nigeria connection and Lottery mails!)

On Jan 2 I protested against spam with the subject 'Pls check the new
site'. After that, some big-mouth thought himself entitled to instruct
me about what anyhow everybody knows: that I only receive what the
spamfilters let through. Well, in the meantime it seems that every
spam is let through by the debian-user filters.

H. Vogelsberger
This problem seems a general problem. debian-user-spanish is full of
spam too and other lists different of Debian are receiving too much spam
in these days. I can't know what is the real problem but I am
collecting emails and learning my spam filter.

I think it's better talk about this problem with lists responsable but I
think that's better don't talk about it here.

Best regards!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
"Shane D"

You seem to think that it is just the debian-user list that is being
spammed. I personally am recieving a great deal of spam, as well, and
it is getting passed my filters as well. They have figured out a new
way of doing it, and this will die down some time soon.

Just deal with it for now.

On 1/8/08, Hans Vogelsberger <listen.hvog@schwaz.net> wrote:
> Since some days debian-user list is full of spam. Most of it is already
> marked SPAM in subject by my provider's filter and therefore gets
> deleted by my personal filter (and shortly noted in my mailfilter.log).
> So do all the protesting mails with 'spam' in their subject line, which
> seem to be quite a lot. Others are found in the junk folder of Icedove.
> But there are still too many coming through (even Nigeria connection and
> Lottery mails!)
>
> On Jan 2 I protested against spam with the subject 'Pls check the new
> site'. After that, some big-mouth thought himself entitled to instruct
> me about what anyhow everybody knows: that I only receive what the
> spamfilters let through. Well, in the meantime it seems that every spam
> is let through by the debian-user filters.
>
> H. Vogelsberger
>
> --
> To ?!?avoid spam?!? this address accepts only mails 'To:' subscribed lists.
> Zur ?!?Vermeidung von Spam?!? akzeptiert diese Adresse nur Mails 'An:'
> abonnierte Listen.
> Hans Vogelsberger, A-6130

-Shane
Blog: http://blind-geek.com/blog/
CoOwner: http://sjtechzone.com
AIM: inhaddict
Skype: chatter8712

Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Jochen Schulz

Hans Vogelsberger:

> [...] Well, in the meantime it seems that every spam is let through
> by the debian-user filters.

No: <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/04/msg00809.html>.

The amount of spam that has passed the listserver's filter mechanisms in
the last few days might be large, but it is still only a tiny fraction
of what's actually coming in at lists.debian.org.

Sometimes I have the impression that the people who complain the most
about spam from Debian lists are the ones who don't even know how *bad*
the spam problem actually is. Even on my own mail server with only four
valid mail addresses plus some aliases I reject more than a thousand
delivery attempts every day. Receiving 20-50 spam mails a day is surely
an annoyance. But you are still only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

J.
--
Driving behind lorries carrying hazardous chemicals makes me wish for a
simpler life.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:23 PM
John Hasler

Hans Vogelsberger writes:
> [...] Well, in the meantime it seems that every spam is let through
> by the debian-user filters.

If that were true you'd be seeing more than 99% spam (I'm not kidding or
exaggerating. It's that bad).

Jochen Schulz writes:
> The amount of spam that has passed the listserver's filter mechanisms in
> the last few days might be large, but it is still only a tiny fraction of
> what's actually coming in at lists.debian.org.

This is true, but there has been a surge in spam on this list recently. It
is quite clear that all the spam is not getting through, but I'm seeing
more here than on other lists. and more than usual.
--
John Hasler

Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Hans Vogelsberger

Listas Locatel schrieb:

I think it's better talk about this problem with lists responsable but I
think that's better don't talk about it here.

Thats wrong. Lists responsibles only pay attention if the matter is
discussed in the list, too.

Yours
Hans Vogelsberger

Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Raquel

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:23:30 -0600
John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

> Jochen Schulz writes:
> > The amount of spam that has passed the listserver's filter
> > mechanisms in the last few days might be large, but it is still
> > only a tiny fraction of what's actually coming in at
> > lists.debian.org.
>
> This is true, but there has been a surge in spam on this list
> recently. It is quite clear that all the spam is not getting
> through, but I'm seeing more here than on other lists. and more
> than usual. --
> John Hasler

I think that this is what bothers me. I'm on at least a dozen lists
other than debian-user and debian-isp. However, the 2 Debian lists
are the ONLY ones from which come SPAM and viruses.

--
Raquel

Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
David Brodbeck