Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM
hadi motamedi

Default Grub boot loader?

Dear All
On my Debian server , the '/boot/grub/menu.lst' has the right configuration but when I reboot my Debian server I cannot enter to grub edit menu to edit my boot kernel by pressing the 'e' key . Can you please confirm if I can activate it through issuing the followings :

#grub-install /dev/hdax
Is it a safe procedure to try with? Please confirm.
Than you
*

Old 02-01-2010, 07:04 AM
hadi motamedi

Dear All
On my*CentOS server , the '/boot/grub/menu.lst' has the right configuration but when I reboot my*CentOS server I cannot enter to grub edit menu to edit my boot kernel by pressing the 'e' key . Can you please confirm if I can activate it through issuing the followings :

#grub-install /dev/hdax
Is it a safe procedure to try with? Please confirm.
Thank you
*

Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Rico Secada

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 07:59:44 +0000
hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
> On my Debian server , the '/boot/grub/menu.lst' has the right
> configuration but when I reboot my Debian server I cannot enter to
> grub edit menu to edit my boot kernel by pressing the 'e' key . Can
> you please confirm if I can activate it through issuing the
> followings :
> #grub-install /dev/hdax
> Is it a safe procedure to try with? Please confirm.
> Than you

"grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied
by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the
boot sector."

Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 AM
MHR

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> On my*CentOS server , the '/boot/grub/menu.lst' has the right configuration
> but when I reboot my*CentOS server I cannot enter to grub edit menu to edit
> my boot kernel by pressing the 'e' key . Can you please confirm if I can
> activate it through issuing the followings :
> #grub-install /dev/hdax
> Is it a safe procedure to try with? Please confirm.
> Thank you

Are you starting with a <space> to interrupt the boot?

Have you tried editing it using a normal editor (vi or emacs) as root
while the system is up?

What exactly are you trying to do?

mhr

Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM
hadi motamedi

> On my Debian server , the '/boot/grub/menu.lst' has the right

> configuration but when I reboot my Debian server I cannot enter to
> grub edit menu to edit my boot kernel by pressing the 'e' key . Can
> you please confirm if I can activate it through issuing the

> followings :
> #grub-install /dev/hdax
> Is it a safe procedure to try with? Please confirm.
> Than you

"grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied

by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the
boot sector."

*
*
Thank you for your message . So you mean I can make use of it to activate my grub edit w/o any problem?

*

Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 AM
hadi motamedi

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:24 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> On my*CentOS server , the '/boot/grub/menu.lst' has the right configuration

> but when I reboot my*CentOS server I cannot enter to grub edit menu to edit
> my boot kernel by pressing the 'e' key . Can you please confirm if I can
> activate it through issuing the followings :

> #grub-install /dev/hdax
> Is it a safe procedure to try with? Please confirm.
> Thank you

Are you starting with a <space> to interrupt the boot?

Have you tried editing it using a normal editor (vi or emacs) as root

while the system is up?

What exactly are you trying to do?

mhr

*
Thanks for your message . When I reboot my CentOS server I see the the menu with a timer but I cannot enter to edit my boot kernel by pressing 'e' key . Then the timer will expire and the boot process will begin . I want to be able to edit my kernel through grub edit so I asked if I can try for 'grub-install /dev/hdax' w/o any harm on my CentOS server . Do you mean I can edit my '/boot/grub/menu.lst' by vi the same as I want to do inside my grub edit ? Are they the same procedures ? Please confirm.

*