Old 01-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Marc Shapiro

Default Getting Google Sketchup to work under Wine?

Sketchup is supposed to run under wine, but I'm not having any luck. I
downloaded the file (GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe) and ran:

wine GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe

I also tried copying the file to wine's drive_c and running it from
there, but the results are the same.

The installer starts up and gets through extracting the files. Then it
tries to 'Evaluate Launch Conditions' at which point it says the my OS
is not supported and terminates unsuccessfully.

I am running Lenny, BTW. Has anyone gotten Sketchup to work under Wine
on Lenny? Alternatively, is there any other 3d drawing utility that
runs under Linux that I could use? I don't need anything real fancy,
just enough to design a simple woodworking project. My daughter wants
to design a loft bed, so we are just talking straight lines here.
Wire-frame, or solid is OK.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:24:30 -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Sketchup is supposed to run under wine, but I'm not having any luck. I
> downloaded the file (GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe) and ran:
>
> wine GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe
>
> I also tried copying the file to wine's drive_c and running it from
> there, but the results are the same.
>
> The installer starts up and gets through extracting the files. Then it
> tries to 'Evaluate Launch Conditions' at which point it says the my OS
> is not supported and terminates unsuccessfully.

There are some reports about different versions of Google SketchUp at
Wine AppDB:

Category: Main > Multimedia > Graphics > Animation/Rendering/3D > Google
SketchUp
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1815

> I am running Lenny, BTW. Has anyone gotten Sketchup to work under Wine
> on Lenny? Alternatively, is there any other 3d drawing utility that
> runs under Linux that I could use? I don't need anything real fancy,
> just enough to design a simple woodworking project. My daughter wants
> to design a loft bed, so we are just talking straight lines here.
> Wire-frame, or solid is OK.

Some time ago, a chap recommended this program:

Sweet Home 3D
http://www.sweethome3d.eu/index.jsp

It seems an easy "drag-and-drop" application, but I cannot tell you more,
I have not tested :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Marc Shapiro

Camaleón wrote:

Sketchup is supposed to run under wine, but I'm not having any luck. I
downloaded the file (GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe) and ran:

wine GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe

I also tried copying the file to wine's drive_c and running it from
there, but the results are the same.

The installer starts up and gets through extracting the files. Then it
tries to 'Evaluate Launch Conditions' at which point it says the my OS
is not supported and terminates unsuccessfully.

There are some reports about different versions of Google SketchUp at
Wine AppDB:

Category: Main > Multimedia > Graphics > Animation/Rendering/3D > Google
SketchUp

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1815

I have the latest version (7.1) of sketchup. I may have to install wine
from winehq to get the most recent version of wine and try again.

Some time ago, a chap recommended this program:

Sweet Home 3D
http://www.sweethome3d.eu/index.jsp

It seems an easy "drag-and-drop" application, but I cannot tell you more,
I have not tested :-)
As far as I can tell, it allows you to place furniture and stuff in a
room for figuring placement and space, but does not actually allow you
to design specific items.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 07:15:42 -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> Sweet Home 3D
>> http://www.sweethome3d.eu/index.jsp
>>
>> It seems an easy "drag-and-drop" application, but I cannot tell you
>> more, I have not tested :-)

> As far as I can tell, it allows you to place furniture and stuff in a
> room for figuring placement and space, but does not actually allow you
> to design specific items.

Months ago someone posted here a Debian wiki link plenty of 3D programs:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Engineering

Look there if some of them fit your daughter's needs :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón