Old 11-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default CLI Addressbook

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:24:22 -0500
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 01:14:13AM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > > I always used postgresql and just did standard SQL queries, until I
> > > wrote a python front-end.
> > >
> > > Good way to learn SQL?
> > >
> > > Before that, I just used a plain-text file. Each record is a
> > > paragraph, separated by blank lines. Use standard / to search in
> > > less or vim.
> > >
> > > I suppose the best tool depends on the number of contacts and the
> > > type of queries you wan to make.
> >
> > That is actually a good idea. I love python and this could be a very
> > interesting small project. So you built a GUI using PyGTK or something
> > like that?
>
> No. plain standard readline. Could use ncurses. I don't do GUI.
> Note that the python part was just a front-end to the postgresql
> database. I didn't have to worry about storing and retreiving any data.

Interesting. I am sorry if this question sounds dumb but how did you patch everything together? So you have C program that uses the readline library and a python front-end for the sql database? If so, in your C program you simply call out the python script whenever you need to make a connection/read/write to the database?

Thanks.

Amit

Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:14:51PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:24:22 -0500

> > > That is actually a good idea. I love python and this could be a
> > > very interesting small project. So you built a GUI using PyGTK or
> > > something like that?
> >
> > No. plain standard readline. Could use ncurses. I don't do GUI.
> > Note that the python part was just a front-end to the postgresql
> > database. I didn't have to worry about storing and retreiving any
> > data.
>
> Interesting. I am sorry if this question sounds dumb but how did you
> patch everything together? So you have C program that uses the
> readline library and a python front-end for the sql database? If so,
> in your C program you simply call out the python script whenever you
> need to make a connection/read/write to the database?

No C program. Python uses readline by default. I.e. print this,
raw_input that. I used python-psycopg for the database access.

Doug.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Alex Samad

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 04:42:24PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:14:51PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:24:22 -0500

> > > No. plain standard readline. Could use ncurses. I don't do GUI.
> > > Note that the python part was just a front-end to the postgresql
> > > database. I didn't have to worry about storing and retreiving any
> > > data.
> >
> > Interesting. I am sorry if this question sounds dumb but how did you
> > patch everything together? So you have C program that uses the
> > readline library and a python front-end for the sql database? If so,
> > in your C program you simply call out the python script whenever you
> > need to make a connection/read/write to the database?
> >

> No C program. Python uses readline by default. I.e. print this,
> raw_input that. I used python-psycopg for the database access.
coming in a bit late on the thread, but. At work they use outlook so I am
stuck with putting all my stuff in to outlook, which for my use is not good, I
export the outlook contacts info to a csv file and use perl to insert into my
ldap database, and then I have some bash scripts to read the ldap DB to give me
access to the information

Old 11-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:42:24 -0500
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:14:51PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:24:22 -0500

> > > No. plain standard readline. Could use ncurses. I don't do GUI.
> > > Note that the python part was just a front-end to the postgresql
> > > database. I didn't have to worry about storing and retreiving any
> > > data.
> >
> > Interesting. I am sorry if this question sounds dumb but how did you
> > patch everything together? So you have C program that uses the
> > readline library and a python front-end for the sql database? If so,
> > in your C program you simply call out the python script whenever you
> > need to make a connection/read/write to the database?
> >

> No C program. Python uses readline by default. I.e. print this,
> raw_input that. I used python-psycopg for the database access.
>
> Doug.

Thanks for that. I will definitely check it out.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Amit

Old 11-24-2007, 09:09 AM

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:02:56AM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> You're definitely looking for abook. If you plan on using abook
> alongside Mutt you may want to add this to your ~/.muttrc:
>
> # Use abook with Mutt
> set query_command="abook --mutt-query '%s'"
> macro pager A |'abook --add-email'

> That configures Mutt so that if you type Q at any time you can query
> your adress book for names (And Mutt will automatically begin composing

Also consider lbdb.

apt-cache show lbdb

--
Chris.