Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
"Carr, Chris"

Default dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config: please help re interfaces to listen on

Hi All,

I can connect to my IMAPS server remotely to read my home email, but some
places block port 25 outbound so I can't connect to my home SMTP server to relay
email sent from that account. If I could get exim to
listen on an unblocked port I could point Outlook at that port and all would be
well – I could then send email from anywhere.

Using dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config allows me to
specify which interfaces to listen on - I usually leave it blank to listen on
all of them, but I guess I need to put any additional ports in here. Can anyone
tell me the syntax for this? It says "Please enter a semicolon-separated
list of IP addresses". So if my current setup (ie.
leaving it blank) is effectively the same as

127.0.0.1;192.168.1.1;86.2.3.4

I would expect to just add the additional port like this:

127.0.0.1;192.168.1.1;86.2.3.4;86.2.3.4:2567

but that doesn't work - exim
says "malformed IP address 86.2.3.4:2567 in local_interfaces"
so that's not how to do it.

Can anybody help me add an extra port for exim to
listen on my external interface?

Many thanks,

Chris

This e-mail may contain information which is confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected. This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer

Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Kc9EYE

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:14:13AM +0000, Carr, Chris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I can connect to my IMAPS server remotely to read my home email, but
> some places block port 25 outbound so I can't connect to my home SMTP
> server to relay email sent from that account. If I could get exim to
> listen on an unblocked port I could point Outlook at that port and all
> would be well - I could then send email from anywhere.
>
> Using dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config allows me to specify which
> interfaces to listen on - I usually leave it blank to listen on all of
> them, but I guess I need to put any additional ports in here. Can anyone
> tell me the syntax for this? It says "Please enter a semicolon-separated
> list of IP addresses". So if my current setup (ie. leaving it blank) is
> effectively the same as
>
> 127.0.0.1;192.168.1.1;86.2.3.4
>
> I would expect to just add the additional port like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1;192.168.1.1;86.2.3.4;86.2.3.4:2567
>
> but that doesn't work - exim says "malformed IP address 86.2.3.4:2567 in
> local_interfaces" so that's not how to do it.
>
> Can anybody help me add an extra port for exim to listen on my external
> interface?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> This e-mail may contain information which is confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected. This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer>

Hello,
I believe that you need to use double colons to seperate the port
number and IP address. Example: 192.1968.1.1::995

P. Lane

Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM
"Bill Jones"

The separator is a dot not a colon or double colon.

1.2.3.4.port as in 123.123.123.123.2525

HTH/Sx