Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Stephen Powell

Default No GNOME system sounds in Squeeze

OK, now it's my turn to ask for help. I've finally gotten around to trying
to enable system sounds in GNOME under Squeeze, and I can't seem to get it
to work. I've been able to get it to work under Lenny (see my web page
http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm for example), but under Squeeze
it doesn't work.

Basic sound works. (In other words, the "aplay" utility can be used
to play .wav files just fine.) But the Squeeze version of GNOME (2.28.2)
appears to be quite different from the Lenny version of GNOME (2.22.3)
with respect to sound configuration. When I click on
System -> Preferences -> Sound, I see something quite different than what
I see in 2.22.3. I see a mixer-like window right off the bat, and there
are no "test" buttons. When I click on the "Sound Theme" tab, everything
is grayed-out. I can't select anything. Also, the Enlightened Sound
Daemon is apparently not running, according to "ps aux", even though I
have the esound, esound-clients, and esound-common packages installed.
Nor does there appear to be any startup script in /etc/init.d/ that
would start it. The gnome-audio package is also installed. And yes,
I rebooted after installing those packages.

I searched the built-in gnome help, but to no avail. I searched
wiki.debian.org, but to no avail. I searched the internet, but found nothing
promising on the first few pages. Surely there's someone out there
who has gotten GNOME system sounds working under Squeeze. Any ideas?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:21:18 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> I've finally gotten around to trying to enable system sounds in
> GNOME under Squeeze, and I can't seem to get it to work.

I kept searching the Internet and I eventually found this item:

I didn't like what I read, but at least it's an explanation
(and a partial solution).

I've de-installed gnome-audio and installed freedesktop-sound-theme
and gnome-session-canberra. I now have at least "alert" sounds
working. Startup and shutdown sounds still don't work. The ESD
still isn't running either. And I don't have pulseaudio installed.
I wonder if GNOME now directs system sounds directly to
ALSA. And I wonder if ALSA finally enables software sound mixing
(again) by default on audio chipsets that don't support hardware sound
mixing. Wouldn't that be nice!

If anyone has any insights on this, please let me know. Otherwise,
I'll assume that it's just broken and I'll wait for them to fix it.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Jasper

FYI, this is a copy of the "README" that comes with Esound in Etch, it's
date on my computer is june 2005 :

++++++++++++

Esound is an audio mixing server that allows multiple
applications to output sound to the same audio device.
Development on Esound stopped several years ago, in the
hope that someone would write a replacement. Esound is
seriously lacking in features required for a modern
desktop environment, particularly for multi-channel
audio and audio/video synchronization. However, it is
part of the GNOME platform (for a little while longer),
so we slavishly continue to maintain it.

Bugs should be reported at http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
It's unlikely that they'll be fixed unless they're
regressions from recent versions or accompanied by
patches.

--ds

++++++++++++

Something should change, but ....

--Jasper.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:54:51 -0500 (EST), Jasper wrote:
> FYI, this is a copy of the "README" that comes with Esound in Etch, it's
> date on my computer is june 2005 :
>
> Esound is an audio mixing server that allows multiple
> applications to output sound to the same audio device.
> Development on Esound stopped several years ago, in the
> hope that someone would write a replacement. Esound is
> seriously lacking in features required for a modern
> desktop environment, particularly for multi-channel
> audio and audio/video synchronization. However, it is
> part of the GNOME platform (for a little while longer),
> so we slavishly continue to maintain it.
>
> Bugs should be reported at http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
> It's unlikely that they'll be fixed unless they're
> regressions from recent versions or accompanied by
> patches.
>
> Something should change, but ....

Yes, I remember seeing something like that on my Lenny system,
which also uses the ESD. Under Lenny, The ESD starts when GNOME
starts, and the ESD terminates when GNOME terminates;
so now that I think about it
I shouldn't be surprised that there is no startup script for
it in /etc/init.d/. But the fact that, under Squeeze, the ESD
no longer starts when GNOME starts, even though the esound
package is installed, leads me to believe that something *is*
finally changing. From the circumstantial evidence, it appears
that GNOME is now relying on sound mixing in ALSA (hardware or
software, depending on the capabilities of the audio chipset)
rather than a network-transparent audio daemon to mix sounds
from multiple applications. That is a major transition, and
bugs are likely. The suppression of startup and shutdown sounds
is apparently a circumvention for a bug.

The other possibility is that GNOME has switched to a different
network transparent audio daemon, such as pulseaudio. And
since I don't have pulseaudio installed, I'm not getting
startup and shutdown sounds. But that appears unlikely. Why
would they handle some system sounds (startup and shutdown)
through an audio server, while sending other system sounds,
such as alert, directly to ALSA?

At this point, I'm assuming that the lack of startup and
shutdown sounds is a known bug which will eventually be fixed.
If someone more knowledgeable out there wishes to correct me,
I'm all ears.