Old 01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Joey Morris

Default losing xmodmap settings during X startup

I start my X session with startx, and lately I've noticed that some
(but not all) of my .Xmodmap settings are being lost once my X session
is up. I think this behavior started sometime in the past month or two.

I'm using xmodmap to make Caps_Lock key a second Control_L. These are
the contents of my .Xmodmap:

clear Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Control = Control_L

I'm calling xmodmap in my .xinitrc like this:

USRMODMAP=$HOME/.Xmodmap
if [ -f "$USRMODMAP" ]; then
/usr/bin/xmodmap $USRMODMAP
fi

Once my X session is up, Caps_Lock is recognized as a second Control_L
(as expected), but it's assigned to the lock modifier instead of the
control modifier. I've edited my .xinitrc to print the modifier map at
various points to demonstrate what's going on:

Before applying .Xmodmap:
lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x69)

After applying .Xmodmap (and immediately before executing the window
manager):
lock
control Control_L (0x25), Control_L (0x42), Control_R (0x69)

This is exactly how I want it to look. However, once the window
manager is up and I print the modifier map again, I get this:
lock Control_L (0x42)
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x69)

What could be moving Control_L (0x42) from control to lock? How can I
prevent it? I'm using the blackbox window manager, but I've also tried
other window managers (awesome, openbox, twm) and saw the same
behavior. I've tried moving .xinitrc to .xsession, and that didn't
help. Using xdm instead of startx does fix the problem, however. This
is on Debian unstable.

In researching this problem, I've seen a few comments that xmodmap is
deprecated. If this is true, what is the replacement? I'd like the
option to apply these settings on a per-user basis.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 31 Jan 2010, Joey Morris wrote:
> I start my X session with startx, and lately I've noticed that some
> (but not all) of my .Xmodmap settings are being lost once my X session
> is up. I think this behavior started sometime in the past month or two.

[snip]

I also use startx, with Icewm. I encountered problems with ~/.Xmodmap
some time ago. I solved it by trying out various /usr/bin/xmodmap
commands on the command line and when I got them working I put them in
.xinitrc. I no longer use ~/.Xmodmap.

I hadn't heard that xmodmap was deprecated. I certainly hope there will
be a satisfactory substitute if that is the case.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Joey Morris

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote on Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:13:41AM +0000:
> On 31 Jan 2010, Joey Morris wrote:
> > I start my X session with startx, and lately I've noticed that some
> > (but not all) of my .Xmodmap settings are being lost once my X session
> > is up. I think this behavior started sometime in the past month or two.
> >
> [snip]
>
> I also use startx, with Icewm. I encountered problems with ~/.Xmodmap
> some time ago. I solved it by trying out various /usr/bin/xmodmap
> commands on the command line and when I got them working I put them in
> .xinitrc. I no longer use ~/.Xmodmap.

Thanks. I tried removing the line that loads .Xmodmap from my .xinitrc
and replacing it with direct calls to xmodmap -e, but that didn't
help. Just like my method of loading .Xmodmap, the modifier map is
correct immediately after the calls to xmodmap -e, but once the window
manager is up and I have an xterm, the modifier map is wrong. It looks
like the keysym command survives, but something moves that second
Control_L back to the Lock modifer.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 01 Feb 2010, Joey Morris wrote:
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote on Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:13:41AM +0000:
> > On 31 Jan 2010, Joey Morris wrote:
> > > I start my X session with startx, and lately I've noticed that some
> > > (but not all) of my .Xmodmap settings are being lost once my X session
> > > is up. I think this behavior started sometime in the past month or two.
> > >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I also use startx, with Icewm. I encountered problems with ~/.Xmodmap
> > some time ago. I solved it by trying out various /usr/bin/xmodmap
> > commands on the command line and when I got them working I put them in
> > .xinitrc. I no longer use ~/.Xmodmap.
>
> Thanks. I tried removing the line that loads .Xmodmap from my .xinitrc
> and replacing it with direct calls to xmodmap -e, but that didn't
> help. Just like my method of loading .Xmodmap, the modifier map is
> correct immediately after the calls to xmodmap -e, but once the window
> manager is up and I have an xterm, the modifier map is wrong. It looks
> like the keysym command survives, but something moves that second
> Control_L back to the Lock modifer.

Did you try running the xmodmap -e e stuff at the command line in an
xterm? That might give you a clearer idea of what is wrong.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 02-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Joey Morris

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:35:29AM +0000:
> On 01 Feb 2010, Joey Morris wrote:
> > Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote on Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:13:41AM +0000:
> > > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > I also use startx, with Icewm. I encountered problems with ~/.Xmodmap
> > > some time ago. I solved it by trying out various /usr/bin/xmodmap
> > > commands on the command line and when I got them working I put them in
> > > .xinitrc. I no longer use ~/.Xmodmap.
> >
> > Thanks. I tried removing the line that loads .Xmodmap from my .xinitrc
> > and replacing it with direct calls to xmodmap -e, but that didn't
> > help. Just like my method of loading .Xmodmap, the modifier map is
> > correct immediately after the calls to xmodmap -e, but once the window
> > manager is up and I have an xterm, the modifier map is wrong. It looks
> > like the keysym command survives, but something moves that second
> > Control_L back to the Lock modifer.
> >

> Did you try running the xmodmap -e e stuff at the command line in an
> xterm? That might give you a clearer idea of what is wrong.

Yes, I've done that. In fact, since this problem started, the first
thing I do after restarting X is to run the following in an xterm to
get the modifiers set up the way I want them:

$ xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
$ xmodmap -e "add Control = Control_L"

I get no errors or warnings, and everything works fine afterwards. I
skip the "keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L" step because it isn't
necessary (it's the one part of my .Xmodmap that sticks around), but I
did verify that it worked during my original troubleshooting.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 02 Feb 2010, Joey Morris wrote:

> > Did you try running the xmodmap -e e stuff at the command line in an
> > xterm? That might give you a clearer idea of what is wrong.
>
> Yes, I've done that. In fact, since this problem started, the first
> thing I do after restarting X is to run the following in an xterm to
> get the modifiers set up the way I want them:
>
> $ xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
> $ xmodmap -e "add Control = Control_L"
>
> I get no errors or warnings, and everything works fine afterwards. I
> skip the "keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L" step because it isn't
> necessary (it's the one part of my .Xmodmap that sticks around), but I
> did verify that it worked during my original troubleshooting.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, I'm afraid. I have found that the order in
which things are placed in .xinitrc can make a difference, you might try
variations there. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to
put the above commands in a script (and perhaps call it from .xinitrc).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks

Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Joey Morris

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 06:42:32PM +0000:
> On 02 Feb 2010, Joey Morris wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you try running the xmodmap -e e stuff at the command line in an
> > > xterm? That might give you a clearer idea of what is wrong.
> >
> > Yes, I've done that. In fact, since this problem started, the first
> > thing I do after restarting X is to run the following in an xterm to
> > get the modifiers set up the way I want them:
> >
> > $ xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
> > $ xmodmap -e "add Control = Control_L"
> >
> > I get no errors or warnings, and everything works fine afterwards. I
> > skip the "keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L" step because it isn't
> > necessary (it's the one part of my .Xmodmap that sticks around), but I
> > did verify that it worked during my original troubleshooting.
> >

> I'm pretty much out of ideas, I'm afraid. I have found that the order in
> which things are placed in .xinitrc can make a difference, you might try
> variations there. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to
> put the above commands in a script (and perhaps call it from .xinitrc).

I've done some more research and troubleshooting, and now I'm even
more confused.

First, I tried using IceWM instead of blackbox since IceWM is working
for you, but that didn't help.

Next, I found a few threads reporting similar problems and possible
workarounds. One suggested that numlockx was the culprit, which
sounded promising because I had recently installed numlockx.
Unfortunately, though, uninstalling it didn't help.

Other posts pointed to xkbcomp. See this thread for example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce-mcs-plugins/+bug/97175
I verified that xkbcomp was being executed during my X startup, but it
was running before xmodmap. So while it may be related to the problem,
I don't think it's the direct cause. I also verified that setxkbmap
overrides my xmodmap settings, as described in
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=508767, but it
appears that setxkbmap isn't being executed during my X startup.

Now here is where it gets strange. Testing a workaround, I changed the
xmodmap line in my .xinitrc from:

/usr/bin/xmodmap $USRMODMAP

(sleep 10 && /usr/bin/xmodmap $USRMODMAP) &

with the goal of delaying its execution until after the window manager
had started. This way it would run after whatever had been overriding
it ran. This workaround worked, but *only if* I pressed a key (any
key) during that period between the window manager coming up and when
xmodmap ran after the 10 second delay. If I started X and simply
waited 10 seconds, the xmodmap settings did not take effect. Baffling.
Does anyone have any insights about what's going on here?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 05. 02. 2010 05:26:59 je Joey Morris napisal(a):

On one of my Lenny installs, I had a somewhat similar (albeit by no
means identical) problem that turned out to be due to some missing
lines in my xorg.conf. The lines I had to add to xorg.conf in order to
make things work as expected were:

<snip>
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbLayout" "si"
<pins>

While the above lines probably won't help you with your problem, maybe
it's worth checking whether xorg.conf in general is at fault?

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Joey Morris

Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote on Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:49:47PM +0100:
> On one of my Lenny installs, I had a somewhat similar (albeit by no
> means identical) problem that turned out to be due to some missing
> lines in my xorg.conf. The lines I had to add to xorg.conf in order
> to make things work as expected were:
>
> <snip>
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbLayout" "si"
> <pins>
>
> While the above lines probably won't help you with your problem,
> maybe it's worth checking whether xorg.conf in general is at fault?

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually removed the entire keyboard
InputSection from my xorg.conf a while ago, well before I started
experiencing this problem, so I don't think the xorg.conf is the
problem.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Pall Gone

Hi Joey

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.

> Now here is where it gets strange. Testing a workaround...
Ha, pressing a key and it works. Funny...
I've tried to delay it before, but in the background, where this doesn't work

This seems to be a general Linux related problem as I am having the
same thing on Archlinux

See here for some details:
http://madduck.net/docs/extending-xkb/

Cheers,