Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Foss User

Default Decibel value mentioned to tones (siggen package) not working as expected

I am using the tones command from siggen package.

$ rm notes.wav; tones -w notes.wav 1000 440@-2 0 440@-4 && play notes.wav

The command generates 3 tones, each one second long

1. 440 Hz at -2 dB
2. 0 Hz (silence)
3. 440 Hz at -4 dB

However, both the first and third tones sounds equally loud. From the
decibel values I have given, the first tone should have sounded louder
than the third. Can someone tell me what is going on?

N.B. The 'play' command is from sox package.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Jan Piet Joris en Corneel

A difference of 2 dB cannot be noted by most people. The minimal
difference you can hear is 3 dB, but please try some more difference
e.g. 10 dB.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Foss User

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Jan Piet Joris en Corneel
<jpjorisencorneel@gmail.com> wrote:
> A difference of 2 dB cannot be noted by most people. *The minimal
> difference you can hear is 3 dB, but please try some more difference
> e.g. 10 dB.

I tied -8 dB and -20 dB this time but both the sounds still sound the same.

Command:

rm notes.wav; tones -w notes.wav 1000 440@-8 0 440@-20 && play notes.wav