Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Florian Kulzer

Default Realtek r8168 problems with net installer and Intel D945GSEJT motherboard

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:09:51 +0100, Jan Piet Joris en Corneel wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> For some days I've trying to install Debian Lenny 5.0.3 using an USB
> stick on an intel D945GSEJT motherboard (with Intel Atom N270
> processor, 1 GB RAM and Realtek 8111DL gigabit onboard NIC, new home
> server). I've problems with the NIC because it is not recognised by
> the installer.

[...]

> The combinations confuses me. I want to run the installer but it halts
> because it cannot recognise the NIC. If I want to install the NIC
> driver, I need a Debian system. Sounds like a chicken and egg problem
> to me.
>
> Can somebody supply me instructions to get Lenny installed on this
> board? I really want to get it up & running, Debian performed great
> for five years on my previous home server.

The first thing I would try is one of Kenshi Muto's customized debian
installer images with backported newer kernels and therefore better
support for newer hardware:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

(I have not checked anything for your particular NIC, therefore I cannot
say how likely it is that the d-i with the newer kernel will work.)

--
Regards, |
Florian |

Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Tony

Not sure it helps you but Squeeze installs fine on this motherboard.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 21:41:28 +0100, Jan Piet Joris en Corneel wrote:
> 2010/1/31 Tony:
> > Not sure it helps you but Squeeze installs fine on this motherboard.
> Thanks, but I want Stable, not Testing.
>
> 2010/1/31 Florian Kulzer:
> > The first thing I would try is one of Kenshi Muto's customized debian
> > installer images with backported newer kernels and therefore better
> > support for newer hardware:
> >
> > http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
> >
> > (I have not checked anything for your particular NIC, therefore I cannot
> > say how likely it is that the d-i with the newer kernel will work.)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work, the installer keeps saying
> it has no drivers for the NIC, asks me for a external source I don't
> have.

What exactly is the vendor and the device ID of this NIC? (check the
output of "lspci -nn")

The only Realtek 8168 that I can find in /usr/share/misc/pci.ids has
[10ec:8168] and is listed in my modules.alias as being supported by the
r8169 driver.

What happens if you try to "modprobe r8169" with the installer? (If I
remember correctly, you can switch to a command prompt at any time with
CTRL-ALT-F2.) Also check the output of dmesg after the modprobe.

--
Regards, |
Florian |