Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Jan Piet Joris en Corneel

Default Realtek r8168 problems with net installer and Intel D945GSEJT motherboard

Dear all,

For some days I've trying to install Debian Lenny 5.0.3 using an USB
stick on an intel D945GSEJT motherboard (with Intel Atom N270
processor, 1 GB RAM and Realtek 8111DL gigabit onboard NIC, new home
server). I've problems with the NIC because it is not recognised by
the installer. Thus, the installation cannot continue. I've both tried
the netinst image and cd image nr 1. I copied them to USB drive with
UNetbootinst running on Win XP.

It seems numerous threads exist on this topic on multiple discussion
platforms, and it all has to do with an unsuitable module in the
kernel of the installer (and other kernel versions). It is possible to
install with a different NIC, see
http://justlinuxguide.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-i-have-installed-debian-linux-on.html.
Some people report module r8169 (..9, not 8) works partly, however
this seems to differ from installer to installer version. Apparently
r8169 is not loaded by default with the 5.0.3 installer.

Also instructions on compiling the module with the Realtek source code
are readily available and I can manage that.

The combinations confuses me. I want to run the installer but it halts
because it cannot recognise the NIC. If I want to install the NIC
driver, I need a Debian system. Sounds like a chicken and egg problem
to me.

Can somebody supply me instructions to get Lenny installed on this
board? I really want to get it up & running, Debian performed great
for five years on my previous home server.

Thanks,

Corné

Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Jan Piet Joris en Corneel

2010/1/31 Tony <tony10@silverpine.net>:
> Not sure it helps you but Squeeze installs fine on this motherboard.
Thanks, but I want Stable, not Testing.

2010/1/31 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> The first thing I would try is one of Kenshi Muto's customized debian
> installer images with backported newer kernels and therefore better
> support for newer hardware:
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
>
> (I have not checked anything for your particular NIC, therefore I cannot
> say how likely it is that the d-i with the newer kernel will work.)

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work, the installer keeps saying
it has no drivers for the NIC, asks me for a external source I don't
have.

Other thing I don't understand is why the system asks for a CD-rom
source. The system doesn't have a CD-rom drive, I want to install from
USB & internet.

I also tried two 3com PCI NICs I had available in the PCI slot
(3C900B-TPO and 3C905B-TX) but it fails. I managed to get a 3C905B up
& running in my previous Lenny home server years ago (Compaq pentium 2
and it still runs), but I don't remember how. Are those drivers
removed from the current Debian installer?

At the moment the computer is running Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 i386 from
live cd (usb), no problems, I'm actually typing this from that OS.

I've tried installing Ubuntu server 9.10, doesn't work because of
cd-rom drive error (can't find driver). Didn't use Unetbootin but the
tool at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/run-ubuntu-9-10-server-edition-installer-from-usb/.
Also tried Ubuntu desktop
(http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-ubuntu-9-10-live-usb-in-windows/)
and I can install from the booted live disc, but I don't want all GUI
stuff to install and cannot find the option to select the software I
want.

Any suggestions? I've used testing in the past, but switched to stable
at the moment Lenny was released to have less maintenance.

Corné

Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Jan Piet Joris en Corneel

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 21:41:28 +0100, Jan Piet Joris en Corneel wrote:
>> 2010/1/31 Tony:
>> > Not sure it helps you but Squeeze installs fine on this motherboard.
>> Thanks, but I want Stable, not Testing.
>>
>> 2010/1/31 Florian Kulzer:
>> > The first thing I would try is one of Kenshi Muto's customized debian
>> > installer images with backported newer kernels and therefore better
>> > support for newer hardware:
>> >
>> > http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
>> >
>> > (I have not checked anything for your particular NIC, therefore I cannot
>> > *say how likely it is that the d-i with the newer kernel will work.)
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work, the installer keeps saying
>> it has no drivers for the NIC, asks me for a external source I don't
>> have.
>
> What exactly is the vendor and the device ID of this NIC? (check the
> output of "lspci -nn")
>
> The only Realtek 8168 that I can find in /usr/share/misc/pci.ids has
> [10ec:8168] and is listed in my modules.alias as being supported by the
> r8169 driver.

I'm sorry guys, but I've switched to Ubuntu Server 9.10 Karmic Koala.
Tired of all debian driver problems, and a ubuntu live usb disc
running without problems I decided to switch.

As far as I've understood now the issue has to do with kernel
versions. Debian Lenny has 2.6.26, Lenny-backports 2.6.30 and the
netinst images of Kenshi Muto currently 2.6.32. Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic has
2.6.31.

Installation of that OS wasn't without hassle too. For documentary
reasons the way I did it on the Intel D945GSEJT board. Answer to
Florian Kulzer's questions below.

1. Get yourself a windows XP pc with admin access, an empty USB stick
of at least 1 GB. Format it (you need admin rights to do that).
2. Put Ubuntu on it according to the instructions at Pendrivelinux:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/run-ubuntu-9-10-server-edition-installer-from-usb/.
Make sure to use the windows application
"USB-Installer-For-Ubuntu-910-Server-Edition-v0.2.exe" (server edition
.exe differs from desktop edition .exe available at
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-ubuntu-9-10-live-usb-in-windows/)
and Ubuntu image "ubuntu-9.10-server-i386.iso". You cannot use x64
since the Atom N270 processor is 32 bit...
3. unmount and unplug stick from windows computer, put in D945GSEJT
board and boot.
4. select Help > F6.
5. type "install cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" and press enter. This is
needed to bypass the cdrom drive driver not found question which halts
the installer. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Known%20Issues.
6. now the installer should run fine (at least it did at my board.
Other hardware used: 1 GB ram and an Kingston Data Traveler G2 4 GB
USB stick to host the new OS. A WD5000BEVT hard drive was inserted too
but only for data storage.

2010/1/31 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> What exactly is the vendor and the device ID of this NIC? (check the
> output of "lspci -nn")
last line of lspci -nn at Karmic Koala shows this:
01:00.0 Ethernet Controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RT8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev
03)

lsmod shows r8169 is loaded after installation of Ubuntu.

> What happens if you try to "modprobe r8169" with the installer? (If I
> remember correctly, you can switch to a command prompt at any time with
> CTRL-ALT-F2.) Also check the output of dmesg after the modprobe.
Did not need to help the installer during installation for the NIC. If
that was necessary, the command should be:
modprobe r8169, which you can run in a second terminal window with Ctrl Alt F2.

Regards,
Corné