Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Liviu Andronic

Default something dpkg-related hogs my resources

Dear all
Something dpkg-related hogs my system's resources. It is disturbing
since it starts by itself, takes many minutes (+/- 1h) and ends by
itself. I could also not identify one obvious process responsible for
it. WHen this happens, CPU indicator shows about 50% usage of the two
cores, while I can spot many `sh' processes (with one of them taking a
good chunk of CPU), an `md5sum' process starting and ending
sporadically and a `dpkg-query' one exhibiting similar behaviour.

Could someone suggest how to track down what triggers this and turn it
off? Thank you
Liviu

liviu@debian-liv:~$ uname -a
Linux debian-liv 2.6.30-2-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 7 05:21:45 UTC 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-31 10:59 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:

> Something dpkg-related hogs my system's resources. It is disturbing
> since it starts by itself, takes many minutes (+/- 1h) and ends by
> itself. I could also not identify one obvious process responsible for
> it. WHen this happens, CPU indicator shows about 50% usage of the two
> cores, while I can spot many `sh' processes (with one of them taking a
> good chunk of CPU), an `md5sum' process starting and ending
> sporadically and a `dpkg-query' one exhibiting similar behaviour.
>
> Could someone suggest how to track down what triggers this and turn it
> off? Thank you

>From your description I conclude that this is probably a cronjob (or
several cronjobs) that checks the installed files/packages. You can use
the 'pstree' command from the psmisc package to find out which job is
the resource hog when it starts next time.

BTW, do you run testing/unstable and have the debsums package installed?
If so, setting

CRON_CHECK="never"

in /etc/default/debsums could put an end to your problems.

Sven

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Liviu Andronic

On 1/31/10, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> >From your description I conclude that this is probably a cronjob (or
> several cronjobs) that checks the installed files/packages. You can use
> the 'pstree' command from the psmisc package to find out which job is
> the resource hog when it starts next time.

I will try next time.

> BTW, do you run testing/unstable and have the debsums package installed?

I am running testing, but debsums is not installed.

Thanks
Liviu