Old 01-30-2010, 04:48 AM
T o n g

Default hibernate suspend to both under Debian

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:55:15 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> Re: [Solved] Suspend/Hibernate under Debian
>
>> Hooray!!!
>> It resumes fine!!!
>
> FYI,
>
> To suspend to Ram under Debian . . .

Hi,

I'm able to do both suspend to disk and suspend to RAM with hibernate,
but I'm not able to do suspend to both no matter what I tried.

Anyone can give me some hints?

Thanks

PS, hibernate suspend to both behaviour:

* When you call hibernate, your system will suspend to disk and after
that suspend to RAM instead of powering down.
* When you turn your system back on, it will resume directly from RAM
(which only takes a few seconds)
* If your battery fails in the meantime (and the image in your memory
is therefore lost), you will be able to resumes from disk.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM
T o n g

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 05:48:38 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I'm able to do both suspend to disk and suspend to RAM with hibernate,
> but I'm not able to do suspend to both no matter what I tried.

You need to modify the whitelist of the source code of s2ram to allow your
machine to suspend and resume without any special options. Normally the
recompilation and reinstallation of uswsusp is inevitable, but I found
this trick works without a recompilation:

echo '/usr/sbin/s2ram -f -a 1' > /usr/local/sbin/s2ram
chmod 755 /usr/local/sbin/s2ram
hash -r
hibernate-ram

As for combining suspend to disk with suspend to RAM, with
uswsusp, you should use s2both. You can also call s2both from the
hibernate script (with all its richness of options), resorting to
the ususpend-both.conf method. Please note that s2both works only
if s2ram works in your system. There is no way to force it to
work if your laptop model is not whitelisted in s2ram, including
the above and similar tweaking, because s2both duplicates s2ram's
functionality instead of calling it. You have to modify the
whitelist source code to allow your machine for s2ram to suspend
and resume without any special options.

See Suspend to RAM
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Suspend_to_RAM
for instructions about how to whitelist your laptop in the local
copy of s2ram and how to report that your laptop suspend to ram
properly so that it is whitelisted in the next uswsusp release.