Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Victor Padro

Default Multiple RAID support in Debian?

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me, I'm putting together a
Server for personal use, I want to virtualize a few servers(mail, web,
ssh) and use it as a NAS, but I have a question if I can use Multiple
RAID Arrays using the following HW:

Intel Xeon Quad Core X3430
ASUS P7F-M LGA 1156
- LSI MegaRAID(integrated)
- HighPoint RocketRAID 2640x1
2 Hitachi 500GB HDDs
4 Hitachi 1TB HDDs

I want to use one array with the 2 500GB HDDs in RAID1 for the OS and
for some VMs, and the other 4 1TB HDDs I want to create an array in
RAID5 or RAID10 for file sharing across my home Network.
I found a guide but it's a little bit outdated:
http://juerd.nl/site.plp/debianraid

Do you have any other pointer I can read/use?

TIA.

--
Linux User #452368
http://twitter.com/vpadro

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"

Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Alex Samad

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:37:39PM -0600, Victor Padro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if someone could help me, I'm putting together a
> Server for personal use, I want to virtualize a few servers(mail, web,
> ssh) and use it as a NAS, but I have a question if I can use Multiple
> RAID Arrays using the following HW:

yep, this my /proc/mdstat

md3 : active raid6 sdc1[0] sdj1[7] sdi1[6] sdh1[5] sdg1[4] sdf1[3] sde1[2] sdd1[1]
5860558848 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [8/8] [UUUUUUUU]

md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[2]
1923237404 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdk2[2](S) sdb2[1]
29294400 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdk1[2](S) sdb1[1]
979840 blocks [2/2] [UU]

> Intel Xeon Quad Core X3430
> ASUS P7F-M LGA 1156
> - LSI MegaRAID(integrated)
> - HighPoint RocketRAID 2640x1
> 2 Hitachi 500GB HDDs
> 4 Hitachi 1TB HDDs
>
> I want to use one array with the 2 500GB HDDs in RAID1 for the OS and
> for some VMs, and the other 4 1TB HDDs I want to create an array in
> RAID5 or RAID10 for file sharing across my home Network.
> I found a guide but it's a little bit outdated:
> http://juerd.nl/site.plp/debianraid
>
> Do you have any other pointer I can read/use?

Use the latest debian installer you can do it all from there.

I would normally recommend sw raid, but you already have the highpoint -
heard good things although I haven't used one.

--
"And, most importantly, Alma Powell, secretary of Colin Powell, is with us."

- George W. Bush
01/30/2003
Washington, DC

Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Alex Samad put forth on 1/30/2010 7:38 AM:

> I would normally recommend sw raid, but you already have the highpoint -
> heard good things although I haven't used one.

And you should so recommend in this case as well. He has a 2600 series card
which is fakeraid. You have to step up to the 3500 series Highpoint cards to
get real hardware RAID.

--
Stan