Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Mark

Default Does lenny use grub2?

>On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Matteo Riva <muradin@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a squeeze system installed and I wanted to install a debian

>lenny in another partition and I was wondering if there could be

>issues with the bootloader. Does lenny use grub2 now?

>If not, will there be conflicts with the two versions?

Just did a fresh Lenny installation this past weekend from the 5.0.3 dvd iso and it used grub 0.97.* If you're asking whether Lenny can boot off a grub2 bootloader I don't know.

HTH.

Mark

Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:31:13 -0500 (EST), Matteo Riva wrote:
> I have a squeeze system installed and I wanted to install a debian
> lenny in another partition and I was wondering if there could be
> issues with the bootloader. Does lenny use grub2 now?
> If not, will there be conflicts with the two versions?

Grub2 should be able to boot both Squeeze (2.6.32) and Lenny (2.6.26) kernels.
But putting them in separate partitions is another matter. I've never tried
booting two completely separate Linux systems in different partitions from
the same boot loader before. It seems like it should be possible, but
I've never tried it. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Lee Winter

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:31:13 -0500 (EST), Matteo Riva wrote:
>> I have a squeeze system installed and I wanted to install a debian
>> lenny in another partition and I was wondering if there could be
>> issues with the bootloader. Does lenny use grub2 now?
>> If not, will there be conflicts with the two versions?
>
> Grub2 should be able to boot both Squeeze (2.6.32) and Lenny (2.6.26) kernels.
> But putting them in separate partitions is another matter. I've never tried
> booting two completely separate Linux systems in different partitions from
> the same boot loader before. It seems like it should be possible, but
> I've never tried it.

It is possible. With Grub. In fact the most bootable operating
systems ("environments" in the case of micros~1 window~1) ever
installed on a single PC was created exactly that way. They got more
than 150 separate bootable partitions on (IIRC) four drives.

-- Lee

Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 29 January 2010 18:31:13 Matteo Riva wrote:
> I have a squeeze system installed and I wanted to install a debian
> lenny in another partition and I was wondering if there could be
> issues with the bootloader. Does lenny use grub2 now?

Lenny has at least 3 bootloaders available for x86 architectures: lilo, grub
0.x (grub or grub-legacy packages), and grub 1.x (grub2 or grub-pc packages).

The Lenny installer defaults to configuring the grub 0.x bootloader. But, any
of them should be able to boot Lenny.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))