Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Bernard

Default serious problem upgrading sox

Hi to Everyone,

On my Debian Lenny system, the sox version that I had installed
(v14.0.1) was somewhat outdated, so I tried to install 14.3, which
appeared to be available only on 'testing' repositories. So, removed my
v14.0.1, then I modified my /etc/apt/sources.list, and after an 'apt-get
update', I reinstalled the newer version. I got no error that I can
remember of, but then I found that, despites an up to date man page, the
newer functions were not implemented in my "new" sox, which indeed must
have still be the old one.

So, I removed it and tried to re-install the old version after removing
the testing addresses in my /etc/apt/sources.list and updating. But this
backstep appear impossible to achieve... The error messages, that are in
French, can be summarized as follows : some packages cannot be
installed. The following packages contain unsatisfied dependencies. sox:
Depend: libsox0 but will not be installed

E: Defective packages

If I now try to call 'sox -h', I get this :
root@new-host:/home/bd# sox -h
sox: Symbol `sox_effect_fns' has different size in shared object,
consider re-linking
sox: Symbol `sox_format_fns' has different size in shared object,
consider re-linking

Segmentation error.

I have reached a point where I can no longer install a workable sox
version. What can I do now ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 29 January 2010 13:47:14 Bernard wrote:
> So, I removed it and tried to re-install the old version after removing
> the testing addresses in my /etc/apt/sources.list and updating. But this
> backstep appear impossible to achieve...

Downgrading package is not supported. There's a very simple explanation:
While we can modify future packages to take into account features of old
packages, we can't modify old packages to take into account features of future
packages.

> The error messages, that are in
> French, can be summarized as follows : some packages cannot be
> installed. The following packages contain unsatisfied dependencies. sox:
> Depend: libsox0 but will not be installed
> E: Defective packages

You'll have to get libsox0 installed before Lenny's sox will work.

> If I now try to call 'sox -h', I get this :
> root@new-host:/home/bd# sox -h
> sox: Symbol `sox_effect_fns' has different size in shared object,
> consider re-linking
> sox: Symbol `sox_format_fns' has different size in shared object,
> consider re-linking
> Segmentation error.

All these errors are because of the library mismatch.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM
T o n g

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:47:14 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> On my Debian Lenny system, the sox version that I had installed
> (v14.0.1) was somewhat outdated, so I tried to install 14.3, which
> appeared to be available only on 'testing' repositories...

You should never mingle Lenny & testing, even if you think you know
everything.

Have you tried backport?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Bernard

T o n g wrote:

On my Debian Lenny system, the sox version that I had installed
(v14.0.1) was somewhat outdated, so I tried to install 14.3, which
appeared to be available only on 'testing' repositories...

You should never mingle Lenny & testing, even if you think you know
everything.

Thanks for this advice. No, I don't think that I know everything...

Have you tried backport?

Yes, I have, but in this repository, the 'sox' version that was
available was the one I already had, that is : v14.0.1

Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 PM
T o n g

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:05:22 +0100, Bernard wrote:

>> You should never mingle Lenny & testing, even if you think you know
>> everything.
>>
> Thanks for this advice. No, I don't think that I know everything...

The fundamental difference between Lenny & testing (libc for eg) will
cause you never-end headaches. You can use testing and get packages from
sid without too much trouble.

>> Have you tried backport?
>>
> Yes, I have, but in this repository, the 'sox' version that was
> available was the one I already had, that is : v14.0.1

Then I personally think the only option left is to get/compile source
from testing/sid, which shouldn't be too much trouble with all those
Debian helper tools.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Bernard

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

So, I removed it and tried to re-install the old version after removing
the testing addresses in my /etc/apt/sources.list and updating. But this
backstep appear impossible to achieve...

Downgrading package is not supported. There's a very simple explanation:
While we can modify future packages to take into account features of old
packages, we can't modify old packages to take into account features of future
packages.

The error messages, that are in
French, can be summarized as follows : some packages cannot be
installed. The following packages contain unsatisfied dependencies. sox:
Depend: libsox0 but will not be installed
E: Defective packages

You'll have to get libsox0 installed before Lenny's sox will work.

I have just done this. The install went OK, so did the re-install of
Lenny's sox. But, when trying to call 'sox -h' (or any call to sox), I
get this :

bd@new-host:~$ sox -h
sox: error while loading shared libraries: libsox.so.1: cannot open

bd@new-host:~$

libsox.so.1 does not exist on my system, as
$apt-cache search libsox.so.1 seem to say

#apt-cache search libsox.so.1 says the same, so I believe no such file
exists for download either

Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Bernard

Bernard wrote:

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

You'll have to get libsox0 installed before Lenny's sox will work.

I have just done this. The install went OK, so did the re-install of
Lenny's sox. But, when trying to call 'sox -h' (or any call to sox), I
get this :

bd@new-host:~$ sox -h
sox: error while loading shared libraries: libsox.so.1: cannot open

bd@new-host:~$

libsox.so.1 does not exist on my system, as
I was mistaking in writing that. True: apt-cache search did not show any
libsox.so.1 file, but I found one using 'find' :

/usr/local/lib/libsox.so.1 is there. Still any call to 'sox' sends this
same reply :

sox: error while loading shared libraries: libsox.so.1: cannot open

Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Bernard

Bernard wrote:

Bernard wrote:

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

You'll have to get libsox0 installed before Lenny's sox will work.

I have just done this. The install went OK, so did the re-install of
Lenny's sox. But, when trying to call 'sox -h' (or any call to sox),
I get this :

bd@new-host:~$ sox -h
sox: error while loading shared libraries: libsox.so.1: cannot open

bd@new-host:~$

libsox.so.1 does not exist on my system, as
I was mistaking in writing that. True: apt-cache search did not show
any libsox.so.1 file, but I found one using 'find' :

/usr/local/lib/libsox.so.1 is there. Still any call to 'sox' sends
this same reply :

sox: error while loading shared libraries: libsox.so.1: cannot open

I just made another discovery. The 'man' file for sox that I presently
have on my system, is the one that belongs to sox v14.3, not the manfile
belonging to v14.0.1, where there was no mention of any -b option. This
knowledge reminds me that, prior to making an attempt to install from
'testing' repositories, I had tried to install from a source file that I
had downloaded from sox.sourceforge.net. At first sight, all had seemed
to go allright, there was no error in 'make', nor in 'make install', and
some sox functions seemed to work, other did not. This is when I decided
to try the Debian way with testing ; I thought that the new install
would go over the old one. This mismanagement may be part of the problem
I now have.

But then, how shall I manually remove as much as possible of what
remains of that sox installed from source, as well as what remains of
the v14.3 installed from 'testing' ?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 PM
T o n g

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:53:19 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> A 'find / | grep sox' showed me that . . .

mlocate sox

would be much much faster. Ref:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/373030/

> . . . I will later on make further attempts at
> installing the newer version from testing/sid, as Tong recommends

get/compile from Debian source, with the help of all those Debian helper
tools, can save you much trouble as you have experienced. Ref,

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/distro/debian/deb18-
PackageBuilding/single/#Building_custom_version_of_wget

and the next title.

If you have to build from source, remember to use checkinstall, eg.

checkinstall make

HTH