Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default Downgrading xorg xserver from 1.7 to 1.6

On Friday 29 January 2010 09:51:02 Matteo Riva wrote:
> Squeeze upgrade broke fglrx driver with the new xserver.
>
> How can I downgrade the xserver from 1.7.4 back to 1.6.5 when fglrx
> driver was working fine?
> What packages do I need to downgrade, and where can I find those
> versions?

Package downgrades are not supported. The safest way would be to restore from
your last system backup.

If you still have to go the downgrade route, I suggest you start with xserver-
xorg-core.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Stefaan Himpe

I also needed to downgrade when the nvidia driver was broken a few weeks
ago. I managed to do so as root using dpkg with the -i option.
Note that apt-get from that moment on complained about some broken
packages on my system (until I did a dist-upgrade when the nvidia driver
was fixed).

For downgrading, I simply used the previous version of the packages, as
found in my /var/cache/apt/archives folder.

If you cannot find the packages there, you can try to search them via
http://snapshot.debian.net/

hth,
Stefaan.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Matteo Riva

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Stefaan Himpe <stefaan.himpe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also needed to downgrade when the nvidia driver was broken a few weeks
> ago. I managed to do so as root using dpkg with the -i option.
> Note that apt-get from that moment on complained about some broken packages
> on my system (until I did a dist-upgrade when the nvidia driver was fixed).
>
> For downgrading, I simply used the previous version of the packages, as
> found in my /var/cache/apt/archives folder.
>
> If you cannot find the packages there, you can try to search them via
> http://snapshot.debian.net/

Hello Stefaan, thanks for your reply.

Can you specify which packages you downgraded exactly? I only managed to
find a copy of xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core but installing them
didn't seem to be enough as all I got was a blank screen I could not get
out of (no ctrl+alt+f1/2/3/4).

I found snapshot.debian.net but it seems its last update was on 2008 or
am I looking in the wrong place?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Stefaan Himpe

I found snapshot.debian.net but it seems its last update was on 2008 or
am I looking in the wrong place

Sorry I should have checked before pointing you there.
Make sure to backup any important files (like configuration stuff in /etc)
before you start to fiddle with these things.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means a downgrade expert
Perhaps you could temporarily get the X packages from debian testing in
order to downgrade?

If you really want the previous version: I think if you inspect the
dependencies of the last working version of the xserver-xorg

package you should be able to find out which packages can go with that
(use dpkg --info for that).

The specific packages I downgraded too, if I recall correctly, were the
following
(i cannot give any guarantees that these actually are the right ones,
sorry,

and perhaps you need a different video driver, etc.)

xserver-common_2%3a1.6.5-1_all.deb
xserver-xephyr_2%3a1.6.5-1_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.6.5-1_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-input-evdev_1%3a2.2.5-1_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-input-kbd_1%3a1.3.2-4_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-input-mouse_1%3a1.4.0-4_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.2.0-2_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-video-nv_1%3a2.1.13-1_i386.deb

Best regards,
Stefaan.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Stefaan Himpe wrote:

>> I found snapshot.debian.net but it seems its last update was on 2008 or
>> am I looking in the wrong place
> Sorry I should have checked before pointing you there.
> Make sure to backup any important files (like configuration stuff in /etc)
> before you start to fiddle with these things.
>
> Disclaimer: I'm by no means a downgrade expert
> Perhaps you could temporarily get the X packages from debian testing in
> order to downgrade?
>
> If you really want the previous version: I think if you inspect the
> dependencies of the last working version of the xserver-xorg
> package you should be able to find out which packages can go with that
> (use dpkg --info for that).
>
> The specific packages I downgraded too, if I recall correctly, were the
> following
> (i cannot give any guarantees that these actually are the right ones,
> sorry,
> and perhaps you need a different video driver, etc.)
>
> xserver-common_2%3a1.6.5-1_all.deb
> xserver-xephyr_2%3a1.6.5-1_i386.deb
> xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.6.5-1_i386.deb
> xserver-xorg-input-evdev_1%3a2.2.5-1_i386.deb
> xserver-xorg-input-kbd_1%3a1.3.2-4_i386.deb
> xserver-xorg-input-mouse_1%3a1.4.0-4_i386.deb
> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.2.0-2_i386.deb
> xserver-xorg-video-nv_1%3a2.1.13-1_i386.deb
>
> Best regards,
> Stefaan.

Hi,

before going the (hard) downgrade way, did you try using the free
"radeon" driver (or whichever is relevant for your card). I "fixed" a
computer crippled by the same problem yesterday, running an Ati
HD2600XT, and the result is so nice that the owner doesn't want to go
back to fglrx ! I just removed the xorg.conf file and rebooted, "fixed".

Of course your luck will depend on how well supported your hardware is,
but even without "3D" acceleration it would be a workaround, I read that
Ati is about to release a new driver, maybe this one will finally catch
up with xorg and kernel development (for now...).

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzkzMQ

Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Matteo Riva

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com
<tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> before going the (hard) downgrade way, did you try using the free
> "radeon" driver (or whichever is relevant for your card). I "fixed" a
> computer crippled by the same problem yesterday, running an Ati
> HD2600XT, and the result is so nice that the owner doesn't want to go
> back to fglrx ! I just removed the xorg.conf file and rebooted, "fixed".

Yes I am using the free driver now but the performance is poor. Actually
I get a strange behavior:

with metacity as compositing manager -- I have fast window movements and
fast scrolling in applications like iceweasel, but windows resize is
very slow, as is workspace switching (takes between 1 and 2 seconds,
which is the thing I hate most)

with metacity as NON compositing manager -- workspace switching is
instant and resize is fast, but movement and scrolling is terribly slow
(you can see the frames being redrawn one by one)

Also, as I understand it, one of the problems is that part of the
graphic calculations are delegated to the CPU, which would explain why
since the upgrade the fan is almost constantly spinning while before it
was resting 80% of the time (same environmental conditions of course).

> Of course your luck will depend on how well supported your hardware is,
> but even without "3D" acceleration it would be a workaround, I read that
> Ati is about to release a new driver, maybe this one will finally catch
> up with xorg and kernel development (for now...).
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzkzMQ

I hope it will be a fast release. I know that downgrading can be a real
pain, and I honestly don't even know where to find the packages I need,
I was actually thinking about installing a lenny system to fall back on
whenever things get broken like this.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Johan Grönqvist

Matteo Riva skrev:

Yes I am using the free driver now but the performance is poor. Actually
I get a strange behavior:

Have you tried both the radeon and the radeonhd
drivers? As I understand it, they should be similar in feature set,
but I had issues (slow scrolling, among others) with the radeon driver
that I do not experience with the radeonhd driver.

/ johan

Old 01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Matteo Riva

2010/1/30 Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com>:

> Have you tried both the radeon and the radeonhd
> *drivers? As I understand it, they should be similar in feature set, but I
> had issues (slow scrolling, among others) with the radeon driver that I do
> not experience with the radeonhd driver.

Yes I have tried both drivers and couldn't see any appreciable
difference.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:04 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:
> 2010/1/30 Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com>:

> > Have you tried both the radeon and the radeonhd

> Yes I have tried both drivers and couldn't see any appreciable
> difference.

I use the radeonhd driver and am very happy with its performance. I ran
into the same behaviour you described some time ago and fixed it by using EXA
as acceleration method. The applicable part from my xorg.conf is:

--- snip ---
Section "Device"
Driver "radeonhd"
Option "DRI" "on"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection
--- snip ---

YMMV ;-)
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :

Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Matteo Riva

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Wolodja Wentland
<wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> I use the radeonhd driver and am very happy with its performance. I ran
> into the same behaviour you described some time ago and fixed it by using EXA
> as acceleration method. The applicable part from my xorg.conf is:
>
> --- snip ---
> Section "Device"
> * * * *Driver * * *"radeonhd"
> * * * *Option * * *"DRI" * "on"
> * * * *Option * * *"AccelMethod" "EXA"
> EndSection
> --- snip ---

Meh, when I read this message I instantly modified my xorg.conf
*knowing* this was the solution... but sadly it still made no difference

Can you post your full xorg.conf in case I'm missing some other required
part? Or a log of a correctly working xorg system.

Thanks for your help.