Old 01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
consul tores

Default Grub on XFS root filesystem

2010/1/28 Account for Debian group mail <debian@pcez.com>:

> Hello,
>
> On one of my machines that I'm trying to upgrade to Lenny has a XFS
> root-boot file system.
>
> The upgrade docs state that I need to switch from lilo to grub for a Lenny
> upgrade. But I cannot get grub to install on this XFS boot file system, it
> just hangs up.
>
> Anyone know how to get this done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Hi

I am having a similar problem with a Celeron 800, 384 Mb RAM.

I had Lenny as a ssh/ftp/openvpn server, then i did upgrade to Squeeze
having the mentioned problem with Grub2, It could not be installed;
after that i decide to test it installing Squeeze from scrash on ext2,
ext3, and reiserfs, using the i386 Jan/28 netinstaller, and as
results, it could not be installed again.

After that, I did a test, instaling OpenBSD, and i had a normal
installation, but at reboot, OpenBSD could not boot by the cause of
Grub2. Tomorrow i am going to install Lenny again, after i repair the
mbr.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:27:23 -0500, consul tores wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am having a similar problem with a Celeron 800, 384 Mb RAM.
>
> I had Lenny as a ssh/ftp/openvpn server, then i did upgrade to Squeeze
> having the mentioned problem with Grub2, It could not be installed;
> after that i decide to test it installing Squeeze from scrash on ext2,
> ext3, and reiserfs, using the i386 Jan/28 netinstaller, and as
> results, it could not be installed again.
>
> After that, I did a test, instaling OpenBSD, and i had a normal
> installation, but at reboot, OpenBSD could not boot by the cause of
> Grub2. Tomorrow i am going to install Lenny again, after i repair the
> mbr.

As much as I dislike grub2, as Stan mentioned, you should check
your BIOS setup program as well. Some BIOS setup programs have settings
intended to prevent writing to the master boot record. It may be
called "virus protection mode" (should be off to install) or
"Operating system install mode" (should be on to install) or
something along those lines. You won't be able to install *any*
boot loader to the mbr if this setting is not correct.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:55:06 -0500, consul tores wrote:
> 2010/1/29 Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>:
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:27:23 -0500, consul tores wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am having a similar problem with a Celeron 800, 384 Mb RAM.
>>>
>>> I had Lenny as a ssh/ftp/openvpn server, then i did upgrade to Squeeze
>>> having the mentioned problem with Grub2, It could not be installed;
>>> after that i decide to test it installing Squeeze from scrash on ext2,
>>> ext3, and reiserfs, using the i386 *Jan/28 netinstaller, and as
>>> results, it could not be installed again.
>>>
>>> After that, I did a test, instaling OpenBSD, and i had a normal
>>> installation, but at reboot, OpenBSD could not boot by the cause of
>>> Grub2. Tomorrow i am going to install Lenny again, after i repair the
>>> mbr.
>>
>> As much as I dislike grub2, as Stan mentioned, you should check
>> your BIOS setup program as well. *Some BIOS setup programs have settings
>> intended to prevent writing to the master boot record. *It may be
>> called "virus protection mode" (should be off to install) or
>> "Operating system install mode" (should be on to install) or
>> something along those lines. *You won't be able to install *any*
>> boot loader to the mbr if this setting is not correct.
>
> Yes, it is correct, but in this specific case, grub-legacy was
> installed at first, and it was working well. After my last message, i
> did another check and using the rescue mode at the netinstaller, Lenny
> and Squeeze; i saw that there were installed only grub-pc and other;
> but not Grub2. Thanks again.

First, please reply to the list, not to me.
Second, I'm glad you have your BIOS settings correct.

I think you know this, but just in case you don't, neither grub1 nor
grub2, as I use them in posts, are necessarily package names.
They are names that I use to distinguish
between two completely different programs. Lenny has a package
called grub. When I'm referring to it in posts I call it grub1.
But the actual package name is grub. Lenny also has a package called
grub-pc. In posts I call it grub2, but the package name is grub-pc.
This is a completely new program, rewritten from the ground up, but
unfortunately also called grub. Lenny also has a package called
grub2, but it is a dummy package.

Squeeze has a package called grub-legacy. It is the same program that
I call grub1 in posts. It is the same package that Lenny calls grub.
It may have some additional bug fixes and enhancements that the Lenny version
doesn't have, but it is essentially the same program. Squeeze has
a package called grub, but it is a dummy package. It also has a
package called grub2, but that is also a dummy package. Finally,
Squeeze has a package called grub-pc. It is what I call grub2 in
posts. It is essentially the same program that Lenny calls grub-pc.
It may have some additional bug fixes and enhancements over the Lenny
version of the package, but it is essentially the same program.

The bottom line: it is not enough to know the names of the packages
installed on your system. You must also know whether they were
installed from the Lenny repository or the Squeeze repository to
know, in the general case, what program it really is. It's confusing
as all get-out. It is yet another reason that I still run lilo.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM
consul tores

2010/1/29 Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:55:06 -0500, consul tores wrote:

>>> As much as I dislike grub2, as Stan mentioned, you should check
>>> your BIOS setup program as well. *Some BIOS setup programs have settings
>>> intended to prevent writing to the master boot record. *It may be
>>> called "virus protection mode" (should be off to install) or
>>> "Operating system install mode" (should be on to install) or
>>> something along those lines. *You won't be able to install *any*
>>> boot loader to the mbr if this setting is not correct.
>>
>> Yes, it is correct, but in this specific case, grub-legacy was
>> installed at first, and it was working well. After my last message, i
>> did another check and using the rescue mode at the netinstaller, Lenny
>> and Squeeze; i saw that there were installed only grub-pc and other;
>> but not Grub2. Thanks again.
>
> First, please reply to the list, not to me.

Yes, it is my fault. low attention.

> Second, I'm glad you have your BIOS settings correct.

you, can not know if it is correct, just i can.

> I think you know this, but just in case you don't, neither grub1 nor
> grub2, as I use them in posts, are necessarily package names.
> They are names that I use to distinguish
> between two completely different programs. *Lenny has a package
> called grub. *When I'm referring to it in posts I call it grub1.
> But the actual package name is grub. *Lenny also has a package called
> grub-pc. *In posts I call it grub2, but the package name is grub-pc.
> This is a completely new program, rewritten from the ground up, but
> unfortunately also called grub. *Lenny also has a package called
> grub2, but it is a dummy package.
>
> Squeeze has a package called grub-legacy. *It is the same program that
> I call grub1 in posts. *It is the same package that Lenny calls grub.
> It may have some additional bug fixes and enhancements that the Lenny version
> doesn't have, but it is essentially the same program. *Squeeze has
> a package called grub, but it is a dummy package. *It also has a
> package called grub2, but that is also a dummy package. *Finally,
> Squeeze has a package called grub-pc. *It is what I call grub2 in
> posts. *It is essentially the same program that Lenny calls grub-pc.
> It may have some additional bug fixes and enhancements over the Lenny
> version of the package, but it is essentially the same program.
>
> The bottom line: it is not enough to know the names of the packages
> installed on your system. *You must also know whether they were
> installed from the Lenny repository or the Squeeze repository to
> know, in the general case, what program it really is. *It's confusing
> as all get-out. *It is yet another reason that I still run lilo.

YES, all the theory that you are bringing ahead is absolutly
important, exept that i really have not read it, before my first
message; it was not my target recording names!

My first message was sended to the person who inicieate the thread,
emphasysing the fact that Grub in Squeeze fails in almost any fs.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:13:43 -0500 (EST), consul tores wrote:
> you, can not know if it is correct, just i can.

Yes, of course. But you *told* me that it was correct. At least that
was my interpretation of what you meant when you said
> Yes, it is correct, but in this specific case ...
I just took your word for it.

> YES, all the theory that you are bringing ahead is absolutly
> important, exept that i really have not read it, before my first
> message; it was not my target recording names!

You've lost me. I don't understand what you're saying. Perhaps
this is a language barrier here.

> My first message was sended to the person who inicieate the thread,
> emphasysing the fact that Grub in Squeeze fails in almost any fs.

I'm only trying to be helpful. If I'm not being helpful, just say
so and I'll shut up.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
consul tores

2010/1/29 Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:13:43 -0500 (EST), consul tores wrote:
>> you, can not know if it is correct, just i can.
>
> Yes, of course. *But you *told* me that it was correct. *At least that
> was my interpretation of what you meant when you said
>> Yes, it is correct, but in this specific case ...
> I just took your word for it.
>
>> YES, all the theory that you are bringing ahead is absolutly
>> important, exept that i really have not read it, before my first
>> message; it was not my target recording names!
>
> You've lost me. *I don't understand what you're saying. *Perhaps
> this is a language barrier here.
>
>> My first message was sended to the person who inicieate the thread,
>> emphasysing the fact that Grub in Squeeze fails in almost any fs.
>
> I'm only trying to be helpful. *If I'm not being helpful, just say
> so and I'll shut up.

You are being very helpfull for many people, but i use Lilo! i did
some experiments using Grub2 only for testing it.
BTW, i did an installation again and grub broken the mbr.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:59:47 -0500 (EST), consul tores wrote:
> You are being very helpfull for many people, but i use Lilo!

So do I! Grub2 is not yet ready for production use, in my
humble opinion. Not by me anyway.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Stephen Powell put forth on 1/29/2010 11:47 AM:

> The bottom line: it is not enough to know the names of the packages
> installed on your system. You must also know whether they were
> installed from the Lenny repository or the Squeeze repository to
> know, in the general case, what program it really is. It's confusing
> as all get-out. It is yet another reason that I still run lilo.

+1

I'll be using lilo until they pry it from my cold dead hands.

--
Stan