Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Jim McCloskey

Default gstreamer in squeeze (was: upgrade to testing (Gnome): audio playback borked)

vitaminx <vitaminx@callistix.net> wrote:

|> do you have any audio managers installed? (e.g. pulseaudio, jackd,
|> esd)

Thank you and sorry to be slow (I was away from the relevant machine).

Yes: jackd and pulseaudio are both installed; not esd, though.

|> can you please post the content of ~/.asoundrc and /etc/asoundrc if
|> these files exist in your installation?

.asoundrc just defines a particular card as a default:

defaults.pcm.card 0

/proc/asound/card0:

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-01-28 23:40 ice1712
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-01-28 23:40 id
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-01-28 23:40 midi0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-01-28 23:40 oss_mixer
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2010-01-28 23:40 pcm0c
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2010-01-28 23:40 pcm0p

There is no /etc/asoundrc.

But really, ALSA itself works fine. Every test reveals that.

It is all and only the applications that depend on gstreamer that are
silent. I thought that those applications might be directing sound to
the crappy onboard card by default, but I checked, and that is not the
case. I ran gstream-properties and explicitly selected Alsa as the
output plugin, and the default card (card0) as the default device. Checked
the pipeline in gstream-properties audio output and it produced the
tone with no difficulty and sent it through card0. But it remains true
that those applications that depend on gstreamer for sound output will
not send audio-data to that card.

So it's some problem either in gstreamer itself or in its negotiation
with Alsa, a problem which didn't exist before the upgrade.

Time for a bug report, I suppose,

Jim