Old 01-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Patrick Wiseman

Default Can only get Nvidia driver to work with 2.6.26

I've been following the threads of people frustrated with getting
nvidia drivers to work, and have experienced much of that frustration
myself over the last few days. I've tried everything to get my nvidia
working with the 2.6.30 and 2.6.32 kernels (I'm on a lenovo ThinkPad
T61p, amd64, testing) with no success, and have reverted to the 2.6.26
stock kernel, against which I successfully compiled, installed, and am
now using the 190.53 nvidia driver, which I installed using the nvidia
installer. That's the only way which has ever worked for me. I post
this just to suggest the same solution to others who have experienced
the same frustration. (And my next Linux laptop will not have Nvidia
video, however good it is - and it is - when it works.)

Patrick

Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Alex Samad

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:09:42AM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> I've been following the threads of people frustrated with getting
> nvidia drivers to work, and have experienced much of that frustration
> myself over the last few days. I've tried everything to get my nvidia
> working with the 2.6.30 and 2.6.32 kernels (I'm on a lenovo ThinkPad
> T61p, amd64, testing) with no success, and have reverted to the 2.6.26
> stock kernel, against which I successfully compiled, installed, and am
> now using the 190.53 nvidia driver, which I installed using the nvidia
> installer. That's the only way which has ever worked for me. I post
> this just to suggest the same solution to others who have experienced
> the same frustration. (And my next Linux laptop will not have Nvidia
> video, however good it is - and it is - when it works.)

very strange, my normal process for adding nvidia (built a laptop at the
end of last year)

install module assist via aptitude, install nvidia-kernel-source the
latest version with aptitude.

then

m-a prepare
m-a -t build nvidia

then I can install that deb file and the corresponding nvidia glx files.

It hasn't failed me in a while, last time was the jump to 2.6.26 Or
2.6.28 when the lastest nvidia bin wouldn't build and we had to use the
legacy packager

Alex

--
"My thoughts are, we're going to get somebody who knows what they're talking about when it comes to rebuilding cities."

- George W. Bush
09/02/2005
Biloxi, MS
On how the rebuilding of New Orleans might commence

Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:09:42 -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> I've been following the threads of people frustrated with getting
> nvidia drivers to work, and have experienced much of that frustration
> myself over the last few days. I've tried everything to get my nvidia
> working with the 2.6.30 and 2.6.32 kernels (I'm on a lenovo ThinkPad
> T61p, amd64, testing) with no success, and have reverted to the 2.6.26
> stock kernel, against which I successfully compiled, installed, and am
> now using the 190.53 nvidia driver, which I installed using the nvidia
> installer. That's the only way which has ever worked for me. I post
> this just to suggest the same solution to others who have experienced
> the same frustration. (And my next Linux laptop will not have Nvidia
> video, however good it is - and it is - when it works.)

Please pardon my ignorance, but curiosity has gotten the best of me.
What exactly is the draw that this
proprietary Nvidia driver has that the open source nv driver does not
have? I use the nv driver on two of my machines, both of which have
Nvidia chipsets, and, at least for my purposes, it works just fine.
What does the proprietary driver give you that the nv driver doesn't?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Andreas Weber

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> I post
> this just to suggest the same solution to others who have experienced
> the same frustration. (And my next Linux laptop will not have Nvidia
> video, however good it is - and it is - when it works.)

I'm curious what exactly the problems were that you faced. When I
decided to buy a new Mac Mini, I did it _because_ it has a Nvidia GPU.

I've been using all Nvidia proprietary drivers since 2.6.26 (currently
2.6.32-trunk-AMD64 on sid), and I never had the slightest problem
(except some KDE 4.0 bugs that went away with the new Nvidia drivers
since 185.x).

The proprietary drivers work extremely well for multiple displays, HDMI
and all that 3D animation bling etc. that's not really needed but just
looks fancy. ;-) Don't know if that would work with the nv drivers, too.

Mind to tell us what went wrong?

šndu

Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:17:34 -0500 (EST), Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri January 29 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Please pardon my ignorance, but curiosity has gotten the best of me.
>> What exactly is the draw that this
>> proprietary Nvidia driver has that the open source nv driver does not
>> have? *I use the nv driver on two of my machines, both of which have
>> Nvidia chipsets, and, at least for my purposes, it works just fine.
>> What does the proprietary driver give you that the nv driver doesn't?
>
> the nv driver is SLOW... S L O W....
> when you see the difference between logging in using the nv driver, and
> logging in with the nvidia driver, you will ask WHY you waited so long for
> the NV driver to load... if you have annvidia card, you really REALLY WANT
> the nvidia driver. I'm not happy with what we have to go through to load it,
> but I'd rather load it or replace it than use the nv driver. Just my
> opinion

Slow for what purposes? 3D graphics? Real-time animated games?
I don't do either of those things. I mainly use X for web browsing.
I also sometimes play a simple 2D game like Solitaire.
Is the proprietary Nvidia driver really going to make a dramatic improvement
for things like that?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri January 29 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Slow for what purposes? *3D graphics? *Real-time animated games?
> I don't do either of those things. *I mainly use X for web browsing.
> I also sometimes play a simple 2D game like Solitaire.
> Is the proprietary Nvidia driver really going to make a dramatic
> improvement for things like that?

I have seen where it takes longer just to load my desktop with the nv driver.
To be honest, I haven't used the nv driver, except when nvidia failed, and I
had to load nv, until I could get nvidia working.

google nv vs nvidia.. here is one example:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/nv
3D Acceleration Status

At present the nv driver has no 3D acceleration. Nvidia will not provide the
hardware specifications needed to add 3D support. However, some reverse
engineering has been done for the Riva, TNT, and Geforce hardware. The
UtahGLX project has basic 3D acceleration support. Help is needed to port
this to DRI. For details see the DRI Nvidia Page. A Freedesktop.org project
called nouveau has been started to work on 3D support. See the project's
Feature Matrix for current development status. For additional info on 3D
acceleration support in general, see the free3d.org wiki.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 01-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Andreas Weber

Stephen Powell wrote:
> Slow for what purposes? 3D graphics? Real-time animated games?
> I don't do either of those things. I mainly use X for web browsing.
> I also sometimes play a simple 2D game like Solitaire.
> Is the proprietary Nvidia driver really going to make a dramatic improvement
> for things like that?

Actually it's impressive to see users of other OSs turn their eyes round
when they see you changing the active window with Cover switch or doing
a desktop change when the cube turns. ;-)

If you like 3D stuff, you'll get it with the Nvidia driver. But I see
exactly what you're saying. You'll see no difference when you code in vi.

Could it be that the problems of the Nvidia driver not working have
their reason in a non working xorg.conf file? What is it's content? As
the driver installer suggest his own version, and from my experience
this works extremely well (screen, mouse with all buttons &c.), this
could also be the source of the problem AFAICS.

šndu

Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Andreas Weber <aendu@worldwideweber.ch> wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Slow for what purposes? *3D graphics? *Real-time animated games?
>> I don't do either of those things. *I mainly use X for web browsing.
>> I also sometimes play a simple 2D game like Solitaire.
>> Is the proprietary Nvidia driver really going to make a dramatic improvement
>> for things like that?
>
> Actually it's impressive to see users of other OSs turn their eyes round
> when they see you changing the active window with Cover switch or doing
> a desktop change when the cube turns. ;-)
>
> If you like 3D stuff, you'll get it with the Nvidia driver. But I see
> exactly what you're saying. You'll see no difference when you code in vi.
>
> Could it be that the problems of the Nvidia driver not working have
> their reason in a non working xorg.conf file? What is it's content? As
> the driver installer suggest his own version, and from my experience
> this works extremely well (screen, mouse with all buttons &c.), this
> could also be the source of the problem AFAICS.

I always let the nvidia installer replace my xorg.conf, so that's not
the problem in my case. I had suspected the headers against which I
was compiling, but I tried both the headers package and the configured
source and had the same problem, namely the Nvidia splash screen
appearing for a few seconds (meaning that the driver is working?) and
then the server crashing. Maybe there's something hanging around on
my system that's interfering, but I don't know what. Anyway, it's
working now with the 190.53 driver (installed using the nvidia
installer) and the 2.6.26 kernel, so I'm happy for now!

Patrick

Old 01-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:49:43 -0500 (EST), Andreas Weber wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Slow for what purposes? 3D graphics? Real-time animated games?
>> I don't do either of those things. I mainly use X for web browsing.
>> I also sometimes play a simple 2D game like Solitaire.
>> Is the proprietary Nvidia driver really going to make a dramatic improvement
>> for things like that?
>
> Actually it's impressive to see users of other OSs turn their eyes round
> when they see you changing the active window with Cover switch or doing
> a desktop change when the cube turns. ;-)
>
> If you like 3D stuff, you'll get it with the Nvidia driver. But I see
> exactly what you're saying. You'll see no difference when you code in vi.

Thanks, Paul and Andreas, for your indulgence in answering my curiousity
question.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, it's
> working now with the 190.53 driver (installed using the nvidia
> installer) and the 2.6.26 kernel, so I'm happy for now!

Since an xorg update a few days ago, it's not working with anything.
Compiling against the current stock 2.6.32 kernel, with the header
package installed, works, but the X server crashes after showing the
Nvidia splash screen briefly. This is way too frustrating! I'm able
to start the X server with no xorg.conf, and the Xorg.0.log indicates
that I'm using the nv driver (with no glx, because the Nvidia glx
driver, which is still installed, doesn't work with the nv driver; is
there one which does?). I tried the latest nvidia packages from sid,
but no joy there either (same symptoms). I'm next going to try sgfxi,
as Paul Cartwright suggested (thanks). I need my GoogleEarth (and it
needs functioning glx)!

Patrick