Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 AM
"s. keeling"

Default dealing with grub2?

tv.debian@googlemail.com <tv.debian@googlemail.com>:
> Liviu Andronic wrote:
>
> > Could you help to either completely get rid of grub2 or properly
> > configuring it (to recognise the other two OSs, Windows and Ubuntu)?
> >
> > For the first part, I've uninstalled grub-pc and reinstalled
> > grub-legacy, I've run update grub and checked /boot/grub/menu.lst (and
> > it contains Windows and Ubuntu entries). However, on reboot I only see
> > the Debian entries. I also installed os-prober, but it doesn't seem to
> > affect behaviour of update grub.
>
> If you want to give grub2 a chance, and you should, you can install the
> package "os-prober", which only helps with grub2 and does nothing with
> grub-legacy.

I've os-prober installed.

> Also with grub2 you have to look for /boot/grub/grub.cfg and not

I have finally seen OBSD in the boot menu, due to manually editting
/boot/menu/grugb.cfg:

menuentry "OpenBSD 4.6" {

set root=(hd0,1)
chainloader +1
boot
}

Still doesn't boot, but I've still a bone to pick with OBSD. :-)

How to make that persistent across grub upgrades ...

> "menu.lst". If os-prober fails to find the other OS, you can add an
> entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run "update-grub". Don't edit
> grub.cfg because it's overwritten every time grub is updated or a kernel

Doesn't work, sorry. Been there, done that. Still researching ...