Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Albretch Mueller

Default DELL PowerEdge-like ESM and OMSA for Debian?

~
DELL supports only RedHat and Suse (and Windows ...) and I was able
to update my BIOS basically from a Debian-based live CD using the
steps provided here:
~
http://www.ducea.com/2007/08/27/dell-bios-firmware-updates-on-debian/
~
Now I would to have the kind of management that ESM and OMSA allows,
but the installer is complainign about missing rpm packages
~
I know I can use alien to convert rpm to deb packages and I did seach
for such packages even though I couldn't find them, I still think
there might be something like that in Debian
~
If there isn't. Is there such thing as a mapping of the functionality
of rpm and deb packages?
~
I think I will need to install
~
rpm, pciutils, libc, libdl, libm. libc. libpthread, /bin/sh,
srvadmin-omilcore, srvadmin-ipmi, srvadmin-hapi
~
Of course I' wish I would use debian packages ...
~
Any suggestions?
~
Thank you
lbrtchx

Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 PM
"Jeremy T. Bouse"

Did ya happen to try your friend Google? A simple search for "Dell
Debian OMSA" garnered a bounty of replies and among the gems I was able
to locate
http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/debian/omsa5.1/ in
about 5 minutes. It's only 32-bit, but then Dell doesn't even have a
64-bit version for RedHat yet to my knowledge.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Albretch Mueller

~
Thank you. I am new to DELL server hardware and you let me see I was wrong
~
I thought you had to install first ESM and that OMSA was just a web
based interface to it. That is why I hadn't sought to get to OMSA yet
~
Now, what I am actually trying to do is have a way to control PE's
super intense/noisy fans
~
I have searched around quite a bit and AFAIK Dell hasn't made those
fans' microcontrollers accessible
~
Do you know how to -safely- control them?
~
lbrtchx
~