Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 PM
T o n g

Default Suspend/Hibernate under Debian

Hi,

I'm trying to get Suspend/Hibernate works with my Debian Laptop. Please
recommend a good article/blog/site for me to follow.

I've done some extensive search, but it's still not working. I first
tried suspend to ram (because I know suspend to disk need extra work),
but the symptom is similar to

Laptop won't resume from suspend to ram
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/370058/focus=370097

My case: the machine won't resume from a suspend to ram. It's not
just a problem with a blank screen upon resuming; the machine
actually gets completely frozen. I can hear the hard disk
spinning though. and I can see the the wireless LED come on when
resuming, then nothing else. Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-Del, and even Caplock
keys won't respond.

Following suggestions from it, I did

PM_DEBUG=1 pm-suspend (as root)
and check the log file /var/log/pm-suspend.log, and it seems to have
suspended fine.

The last several meaningful lines are:

+ [ Thu Jan 28 17:48:01 EST 2010: performing suspend = -n ]
+ printf %s
Thu Jan 28 17:48:01 EST 2010: performing suspend
Thu Jan 28 17:48:01 EST 2010: performing suspend
+ sync
+ do_suspend
+ echo -n mem

And after that all garbage.

The Suspend/resume works out of box in Unbunto, on my Acer Aspire
(AS5536). I wasn't able to test Hibernation under Unbunto because it is
not available.

Please help.

Thanks

PS. I'll quote one page that I found that precisely express my
frustration:

"I’ve been working with Linux for ten years now. I have seen issues come
and I have seen them go. But there’s one issue that has always surprised
me because it just seems to never go away: Suspend/Hibernate. I am always
so surprised about this because it just seems like a fundamental issue on
laptops - and let’s face it, laptops are standard issue for many people -
you close the lid, the laptop suspends.

... it seems to me that hibernate and suspend IS a need that should be
given a high priority.

And it seems it is starting to gain some traction. There’s a new site
called the Ubuntu Brainstorm that allows users to add ideas for Ubuntu
and vote up or down ideas that are already posted (as well as comment on
ideas)..."

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=175&tag=rbxccnbtr1

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 AM
Celejar

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:23:56 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get Suspend/Hibernate works with my Debian Laptop. Please
> recommend a good article/blog/site for me to follow.
>
> I've done some extensive search, but it's still not working. I first
> tried suspend to ram (because I know suspend to disk need extra work),
> but the symptom is similar to

YMMV, but in my experience, s2disk "just works", while s2ram has never
really worked for me. IIUC, s2disk is much less dependent on
undocumented, mysterious hardware quirks than s2ram.

Celejar

Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 AM
T o n g

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:53:28 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> YMMV, but in my experience, s2disk "just works"

I'm afraid that's old solution --

You have searched for files named s2disk in suite squeeze, all sections,
and all architectures.

Sorry, your search gave no results

Old 01-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Celejar

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:10:28 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:53:28 -0500, Celejar wrote:
>
> > YMMV, but in my experience, s2disk "just works"
>
> I'm afraid that's old solution --
>
> You have searched for files named s2disk in suite squeeze, all sections,
> and all architectures.
>
> Sorry, your search gave no results

It's certainly not an "old solution". s2disk is in the uswsusp package,
and I use it several times a day on my uptodate Sid system.

Celejar

Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-29 05:45 +0100, Celejar wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:10:28 +0000 (UTC)
> T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:53:28 -0500, Celejar wrote:
>>
>> > YMMV, but in my experience, s2disk "just works"
>>
>> I'm afraid that's old solution --
>>
>> You have searched for files named s2disk in suite squeeze, all sections,
>> and all architectures.
>>
>> Sorry, your search gave no results
>
> It's certainly not an "old solution". s2disk is in the uswsusp package,
> and I use it several times a day on my uptodate Sid system.

The uswsusp package does not seem to be well maintained and has
accumulated six release critical bugs which prevent it from being in
squeeze. What's really worrisome is that there is no visible reaction
from the maintainer.

Sven

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=uswsusp&sev-inc=critical&sev-inc=grave&sev-inc=serious

Old 01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:11:29 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> The uswsusp package does not seem to be well maintained and has
> accumulated six release critical bugs which prevent it from being in
> squeeze. What's really worrisome is that there is no visible reaction
> from the maintainer.

Hm, I had no idea. I'm not sure why apt-listbugs didn't howl when I
upgraded to 0.8-1.2, but so far, I haven't been bitten by these bugs -
I guess that I've been lucky.

In any event, when I originally wrote 's2disk', I really meant the
in-kernel suspend-to-disk functionality, which can be invoked in
various other ways.

Moreover, in the most common use case for suspending, where a machine
will be disconnected from its external power source, it's not a great
idea to use suspend-to-ram without a working suspend-to-disk backup,
since if the internal battery drains before the external power source
is reconnected, the system will crash, with possible data loss, etc.

Celejar

Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM
T o n g

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:53:28 -0500, Celejar wrote:

>> I'm trying to get Suspend/Hibernate works with my Debian Laptop. Please
>> recommend a good article/blog/site for me to follow. . .
>
> YMMV, but in my experience, s2disk "just works", while s2ram has never
> really worked for me. IIUC, s2disk is much less dependent on
> undocumented, mysterious hardware quirks than s2ram.

Thanks, I managed to successfully

- install uswsusp
- configed /etc/uswsusp.conf
- did update-initramfs -u

and s2disk preserves the system and shuts down fine.

However, on turning on the machine, everything goes back to old routine
and does a normal boot, instead of resuming from my suspension.
What I've missed?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:59:13 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I managed to successfully
>
> - install uswsusp
> - configed /etc/uswsusp.conf
> - did update-initramfs -u
>
> and s2disk preserves the system and shuts down fine.
>
> However, on turning on the machine, everything goes back to old routine
> and does a normal boot, instead of resuming from my suspension.
> What I've missed?

It looks like the kernel / initrd isn't properly configured to use the
resume image. I'm not really expert on this stuff, but please post:

a) your uswsusp.conf
b) (relevant parts of) the dmesg / syslog from a boot after a suspend

Celejar

Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
T o n g

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:32:53 -0500, Celejar wrote:

>> and s2disk preserves the system and shuts down fine.
>>
>> However, on turning on the machine, everything goes back to old routine
>> and does a normal boot, instead of resuming from my suspension. What
>> I've missed?
>
> It looks like the kernel / initrd isn't properly configured to use the
> resume image. I'm not really expert on this stuff, but please post:
>
> a) your uswsusp.conf

$ cat /etc/uswsusp.conf
# /etc/uswsusp.conf(8) -- Configuration file for s2disk/s2both
resume device = /dev/sda9
compress = y
early writeout = y
image size = 1786029178
shutdown method = shutdown
#compute checksum = y

I've double checked again that "resume device" and "image size" settings
are appropriate:

$ blkid | grep sda9
/dev/sda9: LABEL="swap" UUID="05858bd5-e713-421a-a4c3-02fda431ec44"
TYPE="swap"

$ cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal
MemTotal: 3791672 kB

> b) (relevant parts of) the dmesg / syslog from a boot after a suspend

Hmm... I didn't spot anything relevant in /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/
syslog. Could you post yours so that I know what to look for pleae?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 29 January 2010 12:32:53 Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:59:13 +0000 (UTC)
> T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Thanks, I managed to successfully
> >
> > - install uswsusp
> > - configed /etc/uswsusp.conf
> > - did update-initramfs -u
> >
> > and s2disk preserves the system and shuts down fine.
> >
> > However, on turning on the machine, everything goes back to old routine
> > and does a normal boot, instead of resuming from my suspension.
> > What I've missed?
>
> It looks like the kernel / initrd isn't properly configured to use the
> resume image.

What does you kernel line look like in your lilo/grub1/grub2 configuration. I
think it may be helpful to have a resume= argument there somewhere.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))