Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Mark

Default wlan0 disappeared in Squeeze on Dell Mini 10v

Hello, any help is much appreciated.* Wireless card has worked fine for months on a Dell Mini 10v.* After updates last night, Squeeze doesn't recognize the card.* I removed/purged b43-fwcutter and wicd, and reinstalled both.* Nothing.* I pasted some output below, can anyone help?

Thank you!!
Mark

debian-ro:/home/ro# iwconfig
lo******* no wireless extensions.

eth0***** no wireless extensions.

pan0***** no wireless extensions.

debian-ro:/home/ro# ifconfig
eth0***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:24:e8:c5:f7:fc*

********* inet addr:192.168.1.109* Bcast:192.168.1.255* Mask:255.255.255.0
********* inet6 addr: fe80::224:e8ff:fec5:f7fc/64 Scope:Link
********* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1
********* RX packets:1436 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

********* TX packets:1075 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
********* RX bytes:1067859 (1.0 MiB)* TX bytes:196321 (191.7 KiB)
********* Interrupt:27 Base address:0x6000

lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback*
********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0
********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1
********* RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

********* TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
********* RX bytes:700 (700.0 B)* TX bytes:700 (700.0

Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Mark

[...]

Correction, it previously was eth1 not wlan0.* I assume a configuration file somewhere is messed up but haven't a clue how to fix it and google was no help.*

Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 PM
John Kapnogiannis

> Hello, any help is much appreciated. Wireless card has worked fine for
>months on a Dell Mini 10v. After updates last night, Squeeze doesn't
> recognize the card. I removed/purged b43-fwcutter and wicd, and reinstalled
>both. Nothing. I pasted some output below, can anyone help?
>
>Thank you!!
>Mark
>
>debian-ro:/home/ro# iwconfig
>lo no wireless extensions.
>
>eth0 no wireless extensions.
>
>pan0 no wireless extensions.
>
>debian-ro:/home/ro# ifconfig
>eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:e8:c5:f7:fc
> inet addr:192.168.1.109 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> inet6 addr: fe80::224:e8ff:fec5:f7fc/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:1067859 (1.0 MiB) TX bytes:196321 (191.7 KiB)
> Interrupt:27 Base address:0x6000
>
>lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:700 (700.0 B) TX bytes:700 (700.0

Well hello there. I got a dell studio 1555 myself with a dell wireless 1397
(broacom 4312 rev1). I got huuuuge problems with this card. As you can see in
this thread I opened in debian-laptop [1] I was using the proprietary driver
provided by the package broadcom-sta-source fetched from non-free testing.
After an upgrade in that package I lost the eth1 interface (which was the
wifi). After kernel 2.6.32 came into testing I thougth of trying the b43 driver
as of this kernel version my card is supported. To tell you the truth I didn't
see better results and I was about to post again. Well I'll tell you what's my
problem with b43 driver (of course I got b43-fwcutter installed from testing
). When using the b43 driver the wifi connection will stop working and the
interface (named correctly wifi0 this time) disappeares. When I shutdown or
restart I get a fatal error from the b43 driver and that network manager lost
connection with DMA and device phy0 (which is listed as a process in system
monitor. Shall I suppose phy0 refers to the wifi card??). Well first time I got
this I got paniced. The wifi couldn't be recongnized even under windows. In
order to see the device again I had to remove the battery AND the AC power.
Well I got through this thing many times today morning, but fortunately after
that it stopped and I could work on my laptop. The problem though is not gone,
if i suspend or something there it will be.

Sorry for the long post. I think I should fully explain my problem in order to
get better feedback. In any case I am using testing packages with the 2.6.32
kernel recently migrated. Thank you all.

And hope the tip with the AC and battery will be usefull to you Mark

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2010/01/msg00056.html

Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM
John Kapnogiannis

On Friday 29 January 2010 02:47:09 you wrote:
> [...]
> from the b43 driver and that network manager lost connection with DMA and
> device phy0 (which is listed as a process in system monitor. Shall I
> suppose phy0 refers to the wifi card??). Well first time I got this I got
> paniced. The wifi couldn't be recongnized even under windows. In order to
> see the device again I had to remove the battery AND the AC power. Well I
> got through this thing many times today morning, but fortunately after
> that it stopped and I could work on my laptop. The problem though is not
> gone, if i suspend or something there it will be.
>
> Sorry for the long post. I think I should fully explain my problem in order
> to get better feedback. In any case I am using testing packages with the
> 2.6.32 kernel recently migrated. Thank you all.
>
> And hope the tip with the AC and battery will be usefull to you Mark

Oh I forgot. If you could, please CC me in your responses cause I am
subscribed here in digest mode so I won't get the replies immediatelly and
unfortunately I may not be able to follow up the discussion. Thanks again.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Alex Samad

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 02:00:30PM -0800, Mark wrote:
> Hello, any help is much appreciated. Wireless card has worked fine for
> months on a Dell Mini 10v. After updates last night, Squeeze doesn't
> recognize the card. I removed/purged b43-fwcutter and wicd, and reinstalled
> both. Nothing. I pasted some output below, can anyone help?

did you move to 2.6.32, do you have a broadcom wlan ? if so

rebuild module and wlanX is not ethX

--
"Yo, Blair. How are you doing?"

- George W. Bush
06/16/2006
St. Petersburg, Russia
to Tony Blair at the G8 summit

Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 AM
Mark

>On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 02:00:30PM -0800, Mark wrote:

>> Hello, any help is much appreciated. *Wireless card has worked fine for

>> months on a Dell Mini 10v. *After updates last night, Squeeze doesn't

>> recognize the card. *I removed/purged b43-fwcutter and wicd, and reinstalled

>> both. *Nothing. *I pasted some output below, can anyone help?

>did you move to 2.6.32, do you have a broadcom wlan ? if so

>rebuild module and wlanX is not ethX

Thanks for the replies.* Since this isn't my laptop, I decided to wipe the Squeeze installation and use Lenny.* Previously I did not do this because Lenny doesn't have sound on this particular netbook, but the person it belongs to has accepted that as a trade-off for stability and significantly lower frequency of updates.

Hope others with similar problems can get it figured out!

Thanks,
Mark