Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Font substitution in OOo (was: Grepping fonts for a specific glyph)

>> OpenOffice is the wrong tool to find out if a font contains a glyph. As
>> you have discovered, OOo will substitute the glyph from another font,
>> and it won't tell you it has done so.
>
> I guess you mean the option under "Tools / Options / OpenOffice.org /
> Fonts / [x] Apply replacement table".
>
> But this can be turned off at any time or adjusted to your needs :-?

Font replacement is not the same as font substitution. Font
replacement is the user deciding that font XYZ is hard to read, so he
would like the app to use font ABC instead. Font substitution is when
a font is not available, so the application quietly uses another font.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il