FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
David Baron
 
Default Eth0 disconnects from router?

Approximately every hour, I get log entries like:

an 28 13:47:59 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
Jan 28 13:48:29 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
Jan 28 13:50:00 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
Jan 28 13:50:30 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
Jan 28 13:51:00 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
Jan 28 13:54:30 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Withdrawing address record for
10.100.101.100 on eth0.
Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Leaving mDNS multicast group
on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.100.101.100.
Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer
relevant for mDNS.
Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: HOSTNAME: requesting dovidhalevi
Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: PUMP: sending discover
Jan 28 13:55:01 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: got dhcp offer
Jan 28 13:55:01 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: PUMP: sending second discover
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: PUMP: got an offer
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: PUMP: got lease
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: device: eth0
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: set: 416
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: bootServer: 10.100.101.1
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: reqLease: 43200
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: ip: 10.100.101.100
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: next server: 10.100.101.1
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: netmask: 255.255.255.0
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: gateways[0]: 10.100.101.1
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: numGateways: 1
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: dnsServers[0]: 10.100.101.1
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: numDns: 1
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: domain: home
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: broadcast: 10.100.101.255
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: hostname: dovidhalevi
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: intf: network: 10.100.101.0
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Interface eth0.IPv6 no longer
relevant for mDNS.
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Leaving mDNS multicast group
on interface eth0.IPv6 with address fe80::250:bfff:fe5a:a202.
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Withdrawing address record for
fe80::250:bfff:fe5a:a202 on eth0.
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Joining mDNS multicast group
on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.100.101.100.
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa
0x41E1
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: New relevant interface
eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Registering new address record
for 10.100.101.100 on eth0.IPv4.
Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: configured interface eth0
Jan 28 13:55:04 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Joining mDNS multicast group
on interface eth0.IPv6 with address fe80::250:bfff:fe5a:a202.
Jan 28 13:55:04 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: New relevant interface
eth0.IPv6 for mDNS.

Sometimes, it will stay disconnected (the above reconnected). I need to
manually ifup eth0. I reinstated a cron job to check and do this like I had
when I was running pptp.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Tom H
 
Default Eth0 disconnects from router?

> Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Withdrawing address record for
> 10.100.101.100 on eth0.
> Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Leaving mDNS multicast group
> on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.100.101.100.
> Jan 28 13:55:00 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer
> relevant for mDNS.
> Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Interface eth0.IPv6 no longer
> relevant for mDNS.
> Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Leaving mDNS multicast group
> on interface eth0.IPv6 with address fe80::250:bfff:fe5a:a202.
> Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Withdrawing address record for
> fe80::250:bfff:fe5a:a202 on eth0.
> Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Joining mDNS multicast group
> on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.100.101.100.
> Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa
> 0x41E1
> Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: New relevant interface
> eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
> Jan 28 13:55:02 dovidhalevi avahi-daemon[2863]: Registering new address record
> for 10.100.101.100 on eth0.IPv4.

If you are not using avahi, run
invoke-rc.d avahi-daemon stop
and check whether you still have this problem.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Eth0 disconnects from router?

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:50:19 -0500, David Baron wrote:

> Approximately every hour, I get log entries like:
> Jan 28 13:47:59 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
> ...
> Sometimes, it will stay disconnected (the above reconnected). I need to
> manually ifup eth0. I reinstated a cron job to check and do this like I had
> when I was running pptp.

It's customary to say
"Thank You" when someone helps you. Who knows? It might even be in your
own interests to do so. It might motivate people to help you again.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, or claim that you don't,
allow me to refresh your memory.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:14:28 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:05:27 -0500, David Baron wrote:
> > Using pptp, I had a cron job to reconnect if
> > need be which ran periodically. How do I do this with the router short of
> > manually running netcardconfig?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking, since an Ethernet connection to a
> router is "permanently on". If you're having trouble with the
> interface, you can take it down and bring it back up again with
> something like
>
> ifdown eth0
> ifup eth0

Your new post indicates that you now know to use ifup.

You're welcome.

As for your new problem, it looks like your DHCP server is set up to
hand out 1 hour leases. If the DHCP server is built in to the router,
as is often the case, that comes down to reconfiguring your router.
You want a fairly long lease time. You also want a fair amount of
time between when a lease is released (or when connectivity is lost)
and when that IP address is made available for reuse.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2010, 05:24 PM
David Baron
 
Default Eth0 disconnects from router?

> Approximately every hour, I get log entries like:
> Jan 28 13:47:59 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device
eth0
> ...
> Sometimes, it will stay disconnected (the above reconnected). I need to
> manually ifup eth0. I reinstated a cron job to check and do this like I had
> when I was running pptp.
> * * * *
> Your new post indicates that you now know to use ifup.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> As for your new problem, it looks like your DHCP server is set up to
> hand out 1 hour leases. If the DHCP server is built in to the router,
> as is often the case, that comes down to reconfiguring your router.
> You want a fairly long lease time. You also want a fair amount of
> time between when a lease is released (or when connectivity is lost)
> and when that IP address is made available for reuse.
>

Of course, much thanks for all the informative replies!

This one probably hits it. The question is how to reconfigure? I have found no
configure http or anything else. This router is a WAN to ethernet and two VOIP
phone channels made by "Audiocodes." No information. The provider is Linux-
illiterate. (A separate box xlates ADSL to the WAN cable.)

>If you are not using avahi, run
>invoke-rc.d avahi-daemon stop
>and check whether you still have this problem.

I do not know why I have avahi. Seems to come with recent KDE/HAL stuff. One
more useless daemon but I doubt the cause of the problem. It just sits on the
DHCP calls.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Eth0 disconnects from router?

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:24:35 -0500 (EST), David Baron wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> As for your new problem, it looks like your DHCP server is set up to
>> hand out 1 hour leases. If the DHCP server is built in to the router,
>> as is often the case, that comes down to reconfiguring your router.
>> You want a fairly long lease time. You also want a fair amount of
>> time between when a lease is released (or when connectivity is lost)
>> and when that IP address is made available for reuse.
>
> This one probably hits it. The question is how to reconfigure? I have found no
> configure http or anything else. This router is a WAN to ethernet and two VOIP
> phone channels made by "Audiocodes." No information. The provider is Linux-
> illiterate. (A separate box xlates ADSL to the WAN cable.)

I am sympathetic, but I probably can't help you with hardware issues,
uless I have the same hardware myself, which I don't. Google is your
friend. Get to know him.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 PM
David Baron
 
Default Eth0 disconnects from router?

>>>Approximately every hour, I get log entries like:

>>>an 28 13:47:59 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device
eth0
>>>Jan 28 13:48:29 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device
eth0
>>>Jan 28 13:50:00 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device
eth0

> > As for your new problem, it looks like your DHCP server is set up to
> > hand out 1 hour leases. If the DHCP server is built in to the router,
> > as is often the case, that comes down to reconfiguring your router.
> > You want a fairly long lease time. You also want a fair amount of
> > time between when a lease is released (or when connectivity is lost)
> > and when that IP address is made available for reuse.
>
> This one probably hits it. The question is how to reconfigure? I have found
> no configure http or anything else. This router is a WAN to ethernet and
> two VOIP phone channels made by "Audiocodes." No information. The provider
> is Linux- illiterate. (A separate box xlates ADSL to the WAN cable.)
>

I was told by the supplier that the address involved is not to IP to the
internet but the router IP. This is fixed. They advised me to simply make it a
static IP and not exercise the DHCP.

I edited /etc/network/interfaces accordingly.

Seemed to work, but after the ADSL provider changed things around, the thing
no longer honors this choice. DHCP is being called despite and the lease
problem recurs. What, if at all, this should have to do with the new optical
cables laid under the street, I cannot guess. Maybe there is another place I
needed to edit?

Doing this using netcardconfig gives my hand edited entries as default choices
but the data is then blanked out in the interfaces file and ifup/ifdown do not
work correctly.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201002142228.01570.d_baron@012.net.il">http://lists.debian.org/201002142228.01570.d_baron@012.net.il
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org