Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Márcio H. Parreiras

Default shutdown after kernel upgrade

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop, Intel GMA965 chipset, with Debian Testing installed. Today morning I've made an system upgrade. Since then, when kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686 is loaded, the laptop is powering offÂ* suddenly, few minutes after boot. If I choose the old kernel the symptom do not happens. Is any bug or there are some config to do?

In time: another machine, a desktop, with the same distro, was upgraded too and didn't show any problem with the new kernel.

Best regards,
--
Márcio H. Parreiras

GNU/Linux Professional

Tel.: (31)9632-0320

Pedro Leopoldo - MG – Brasil

*** As melhores soluções em Informática ***

Â*- Monitoramento e filtragem de Internet -

Â*- Servidores e Estações de Trabalho -

Â*- Controladores de Rede -

Â*- Sistemas Virtuais -

"A caixa dizia: Requer MS Windows ou superior, então eu instalei Debian/GNU Linux!"
http://www.debian.org/index.pt.html

"The box said: Requires MS Windows or better, then I installed Debian/GNU Linux!"
http://www.debian.org/index.en.html

Codificação de caracteres / Character encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
John

On 28/01/10, ?????????????? ???????????? (gpall@ccf.auth.gr) wrote:
| Márcio H. Parreiras wrote:
| > ... Acer Aspire 5315 laptop ... kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686 ...
| > powering off suddenly, few minutes after boot. If I
| >choose the old kernel the symptom do not happen ...
| same symptom here on a Dell studio laptop (amd64) and on a classical
| pentium pc...

Same here with both Debian and vanilla versions of all 2.6.32 kernels,
home-compiled, running sid on an old IBM Thinkpad A31, with cpufreqd
and cpufrequtils. On my machine, the shutdown is caused by runaway
overheating after only a few minutes, so there's not much time for
diagnosing. 2.6.31.6 with same basic .config runs fine.

Nothing amiss that I can spot in syslog, dmesg or lsmod. ACPI shows
fan running. Powertop shows unceasing and repeated instances of
"flush-254" attributed to "bdi_writeback_task." I googled those
messages, but couldn't find anything helpful.

Clues, anyone?

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
GPG key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Thursday 28 January 2010 13:43:59 Márcio H. Parreiras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop, Intel GMA965 chipset, with Debian
> Testing installed. Today morning I've made an system upgrade. Since then,
> when kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686 is loaded, the laptop is powering off
> suddenly, few minutes after boot. If I choose the old kernel the symptom
> do not happens. Is any bug or there are some config to do?
> In time: another machine, a desktop, with the same distro, was upgraded too
> and didn't show any problem with the new kernel.
>
> Best regards,

I had the same symptom long ago on a change of kernel (don't remember which
one). I solved the problem doing a bios upgrade.(Acer aspire 5712Z)
Thierry

Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 PM
John

On 28/01/10, ?????????????? ???????????? (gpall@ccf.auth.gr) wrote:
| > Same here with both Debian and vanilla versions of all 2.6.32 kernels,
| > home-compiled, running sid on an old IBM Thinkpad A31, with cpufreqd
| > and cpufrequtils. On my machine, the shutdown is caused by runaway
| > overheating after only a few minutes, so there's not much time for
| > diagnosing. 2.6.31.6 with same basic .config runs fine.
| >

| how did you understand it was due to heating??

cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan && cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal

Old 01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
"Marcio H. Parreiras"

Dear John, you was right.
After investigating I found that the ACPI subsystem isn't measuring CPU temperature. The command 'cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ01/temperature' returns zero celsius degrees when the new kernel is loaded, so the fan never runs. This is why the symptom doesn't happen on the old desktop machine, which don't have fan control. By while, I removed the new kernel and I'm using the old kernel, which reads the real temperature and controls the fan correctly, and I will wait for a new kernel update to see if the bug was fixed.

Regards,

2010/1/28 John <JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com>

On 28/01/10, ?????????????? ???????????? (gpall@ccf.auth.gr) wrote:

| > Same here with both Debian and vanilla versions of all 2.6.32 kernels,

| > home-compiled, running sid on an old IBM Thinkpad A31, with cpufreqd

| > and cpufrequtils. On my machine, the shutdown is caused by runaway

| > overheating after only a few minutes, so there's not much time for

| > diagnosing. *2.6.31.6 with same basic .config runs fine.

| how did you understand it was due to heating??

cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan && cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal

--

JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com

GPG key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05

EE51 79E9 F244 D734 A012 1CEC 7813 9FE9 9942 1A63

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 99421A63

--
Marcio H. Parreiras

GNU/Linux Professional

Tel.: (31)9632-0320

Pedro Leopoldo - MG - Brasil

*** As melhores soluções em Informática ***

*- Monitoramento e filtragem de Internet -

*- Servidores e Estações de Trabalho -

*- Controladores de Rede -