Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Adam Hardy

Default webcam in skype ok but not in gimp

I got myself a webcam to skype, and plugged it in the usb port and it works fine
with skype, but i want to grab an image from it in gimp or with w3cam or vidcat
and it doesn't work.

in gimp, i don't even think i'm in the right menu but i can't find any other
menu option than "file / acquire / xsane / device dialog" which gives me the
error "failed to open device v4l:/dev/video0: invalid argument"

I can understand that since gimp is probably looking for a scanner but I see
other documentation on the net showing gimp with a dialog box showing a mix of
scanners and webcams.

In skype, the config shows the webcam under devices as "UVC camera (046d:09a4)
(/dev/video0)" so I'm at a loss now.

I tried v4l-conf but that just seems to be for settings on the camera itself,
not the OS config.

Any inspirational advice thankfully accepted

Adam

Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
randall

[...]

you cloud try cheese,

i tried that ones on my laptop and it worked right away for both
pictures and video recording

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
godo

Adam Hardy wrote:
[...]

Hi,
did you try Cheese? I my opinion it is very good app. You can record
movie with sound or take a photo from your web camera.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Adam Hardy

[...]

It would be quite amusing to set the Warp effect while skyping with people.

Yes, so OK, cheese is good - but I can't see how it's configured - presumably
though it's not using v4l. I would of course (being anal) like to sort out the
issue with gimp though.

Adam

Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
randall

Adam Hardy wrote:

[...]

there's nothing wrong with anal,

but besides that, which kernel are you running and which driver? spca5
or gspca??

believe there could be some issue with the driver with the 2.26 kernel,
either a driver or kernel ugrade could do the trick i suppose

Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Adam Hardy

[...]

I'm on Linux isengard 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Sat Dec 26 09:01:51 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux

What are the drivers? lsmod doesn't list either.

Adam

Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Adam Hardy wrote:
> godo on 28/01/10 13:14, wrote:
>> Adam Hardy wrote:
>>> I got myself a webcam to skype, and plugged it in the usb port and it
>>> works fine with skype, but i want to grab an image from it in gimp or
>>> with w3cam or vidcat and it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> in gimp, i don't even think i'm in the right menu but i can't find
>>> any other menu option than "file / acquire / xsane / device dialog"
>>> which gives me the error "failed to open device v4l:/dev/video0:
>>> invalid argument"
>>>
>>> I can understand that since gimp is probably looking for a scanner
>>> but I see other documentation on the net showing gimp with a dialog
>>> box showing a mix of scanners and webcams.
>>>
>>> In skype, the config shows the webcam under devices as "UVC camera
>>> (046d:09a4) (/dev/video0)" so I'm at a loss now.
>>>
>>> I tried v4l-conf but that just seems to be for settings on the camera
>>> itself, not the OS config.
>>
>> did you try Cheese? I my opinion it is very good app. You can record
>> movie with sound or take a photo from your web camera.
>
> It would be quite amusing to set the Warp effect while skyping with people.
>
> Yes, so OK, cheese is good - but I can't see how it's configured -
> presumably though it's not using v4l. I would of course (being anal)
> like to sort out the issue with gimp though.
>

> Adam

Hi, I have a very well supported uvc webcam working with every program I
throw at it, but never got it to work with Gimp/Xsane since Gimp2.2, it
could be related to the v4l > v4l2 shift (wild guess). Does the webcam
work with Xsane ?

You can use Guvcview to control the webcam output when "Skypping" (works
with most "uvc" webcams, and a lot of "spca/gspca" ones), launch
guvcview from a console with

guvcview --control_only

while using Skype.
The version in Debian is a bit old, you can grab a newer one from the
website: http://guvcview.berlios.de/

Not many effects available, but it's better than nothing.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
godo

Adam Hardy wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm not an expert so I might to be wrong.
If I'm understood good your web cam work with Skype. If that is true
that means that you have drivers. So just install Cheese:

"apt-get install cheese" or do it with Synaptic.

If you don't wont Cheese and wont to use web cam with GIMP and w3cam I
can't help you because I don't know the procedure.

I use my web cam with Skype and Cheese and it works fine.

If that doesn't work type in shell "lsusb"
You will get USB port output. Look for your camera manufacturer and in
this site http://www.coursevector.com/linuxcamera/ for best driver.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-01-28, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> Yes, so OK, cheese is good - but I can't see how it's configured - presumably
> though it's not using v4l.

Cheese will use whatever video input is selected when you run
'gstreamer-properties'.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Adam Hardy wrote:

> I'm on Linux isengard 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Sat Dec 26 09:01:51 UTC 2009
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> What are the drivers? lsmod doesn't list either.
>

> Adam

Given your first message:
"In skype, the config shows the webcam under devices as "UVC camera
(046d:09a4) (/dev/video0)"

the driver should be "uvcvideo" (your webcam is a Logitech Quickcam E
3500 ?). Also your kernel is a bit old, and 2.6.26 was the first kernel
to include uvcvideo, if you encounter any problem that you think could
be linked to uvcvideo driver maybe you should try a newer one.