-   -   eeepc booting troubles (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/316299-eeepc-booting-troubles.html)

Daniel Dalton 01-28-2010 10:24 AM

eeepc booting troubles

Hello everyone,

I've got myself into quite a bit of trouble.

Problem: My system no longer can boot windows and if I try booting
debian it gives errors regarding the root file system.

Here is what I did:

I booted windows for the first time with no problems, so then booted a
livecd off my usb drive and did resizing with gparted.

I resized the sda1 partition, the one in which windows resides on. I
think it may have said resize and move, this may be where the problem
lies. I'm totally blind so going off what a sighted person tells
me. Apparently it said something like resize and move.

This appeared to go fine, until I rebooted (changes were reflected in
gparted).
I got the error:
"No operating system"

I decided to install linux hoping grub would correct the problem. The
machine is running windows 7 and I told the installer to use largest
continuous free space. Then when I wrote the changes to the mbr, it said
windows vista was found. I assumed this must just be because grub hadn't
been updated for win 7 so I said yes.

Now when I boot I can choose from a grub menu:
Debian linux or debian recovery
And windows vista

I try the two debian ones and get errors regarding the root file system
and it doesn't boot more than a recovery console.

I tried the windows one, this starts a recovery program however, after
trying to recover a few times nothing changes.

So if someone could help me out I would be extremely grateful. Will it
be possible for me to get a bootable windows again or should I just
install linux to the whole disk. I kind of need windows every now and
then, so hoping I can get it booting again. Or will I have to purchase
some sort of windows cd.

Finally is there any sort of full system recovery I could do that would
help me?

I'm using the asus eeepc 1008ha.

Sorry about the very long post, I thought it was important I describe
exactly what I did.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Daniel

Mark 01-29-2010 05:37 PM

eeepc booting troubles

>On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>Hello everyone,

>I've got myself into quite a bit of trouble.

>Problem: My system no longer can boot windows and if I try booting

>debian it gives errors regarding the root file system.

>Here is what I did:

>I booted windows for the first time with no problems, so then booted a

>livecd off my usb drive and did resizing with gparted.

>I resized the sda1 partition, the one in which windows resides on. I

>think it may have said resize and move, this may be where the problem

>lies. I'm totally blind so going off what a sighted person tells

>me. Apparently it said something like resize and move.

[snip]

Hi Daniel.* As long as your c: drive is still in tact, you can boot the machine from a Windows installation cd (Dell Windows XP cd's work well as an example).* After Windows loads it's files and you are presented with a blue screen with typically 3 options, at the bottom of the screen is a message like "R=Repair".* After pressing "R", Windows will scan your hard drive for any existing installations.* After that you'll get to a black screen with white text listing existing installations.* If that works, select that installation at the prompt, then run two commands: "fixmbr" and "fixboot c:".* This will rebuild the MBR and make your c: drive bootable.

Something like this ought to work for you as long as your Windows installation is still in tact.

Also cfdisk from a live Ubuntu CD has saved me in the past by recreating the partition table.

Good luck,
Mark