Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Grepping fonts for a specific glyph

I need to know which of my installed fonts have glyphs for a specific
Unicode character (U+05D0). How can I do that?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:32:56 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I need to know which of my installed fonts have glyphs for a specific
> Unicode character (U+05D0). How can I do that?

The "aleph"? א

:-)

I've tried with TrueType fonts (Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, Times New
Roma...) and also with Liberation and Lucida Sans. It seems to be present
in all of them.

On GNOME you can get accurate info about availabe fonts that can
represent that character with "Char Map" (gucharmap) application.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 28 January 2010 12:42, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:32:56 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> I need to know which of my installed fonts have glyphs for a specific
>> Unicode character (U+05D0). How can I do that?
>
> The "aleph"? א

Yes, I'd like to see which fonts have Hebrew glyphs.

> I've tried with TrueType fonts (Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, Times New
> Roma...) and also with Liberation and Lucida Sans. It seems to be present
> in all of them.

I have some (=tens of) unusual fonts which may or may not have that
glyph, I'd like to know.

> On GNOME you can get accurate info about availabe fonts that can
> represent that character with "Char Map" (gucharmap) application.

Yes, but I cannot search for fonts by glyph with that application.

How about this, is there a script that will let me enter a character,
and it will show me that character in all the fonts which have a glyph
for it?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Camalen

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:24:24 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 28 January 2010 12:42, Camalen wrote:

> I have some (=tens of) unusual fonts which may or may not have that
> glyph, I'd like to know.

"Tens" or "tons"? :-)

If there are less than 25 fonts is a relatively easy/fast task for doing
it manually.

>> On GNOME you can get accurate info about availabe fonts that can
>> represent that character with "Char Map" (gucharmap) application.
>>

> Yes, but I cannot search for fonts by glyph with that application.

You can search for the glyph code (00a5) and once selected, choose the
desired font face from the dropdown menu to check its availabity.

> How about this, is there a script that will let me enter a character,
> and it will show me that character in all the fonts which have a glyph
> for it?

Not that I'm aware of :-?

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Dotan Cohen

>> I have some (=tens of) unusual fonts which may or may not have that
>> glyph, I'd like to know.
>
> "Tens" or "tons"? :-)
>
> If there are less than 25 fonts is a relatively easy/fast task for doing
> it manually.

Over 40

> You can search for the glyph code (00a5) and once selected, choose the
> desired font face from the dropdown menu to check its availabity.

If a font does not contain the glyph, the system substitutes another
font. Most apps do this, and I don't know the mechanism behind it so I
don't know how to prevent it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:05:42 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>> I have some (=tens of) unusual fonts which may or may not have that
>>> glyph, I'd like to know.
>>
>> "Tens" or "tons"? :-)
>>
>> If there are less than 25 fonts is a relatively easy/fast task for
>> doing it manually.
>>

> Over 40

Okay, that will take no more than... 5 minutes? :-)

Open OOo Writer and write down the symbol to test it against all the
fonts. If some fonts do not display the Aleph, then you know it is not
available for that font-family.

>> You can search for the glyph code (00a5) and once selected, choose the
>> desired font face from the dropdown menu to check its availabity.
>>

> If a font does not contain the glyph, the system substitutes another
> font. Most apps do this, and I don't know the mechanism behind it so I
> don't know how to prevent it.

I am not following you here :-?

If the font has not available the symbol, it will display a "fallback
alternative" sign, this is a suggested standard feature of unicode fonts.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 28 January 2010 16:40, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "Tens" or "tons"? :-)
>>>
>>> If there are less than 25 fonts is a relatively easy/fast task for
>>> doing it manually.
>>>

>> Over 40
>
> Okay, that will take no more than... 5 minutes? :-)
>
> Open OOo Writer and write down the symbol to test it against all the
> fonts. If some fonts do not display the Aleph, then you know it is not
> available for that font-family.

That is fine for a one-time test, but I would like to automate this as
it is something that I will be doing often in a new project that I am
involved in.

> If the font has not available the symbol, it will display a "fallback
> alternative" sign, this is a suggested standard feature of unicode fonts.

For instance, when I have Hebrew text but use a font that does not
have Hebrew glyphs, I still see Hebrew letters. Obviously another font
is being substituted.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:58:17 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 28 January 2010 16:40, Camalen wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:05:42 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> Open OOo Writer and write down the symbol to test it against all the
>> fonts. If some fonts do not display the Aleph, then you know it is not
>> available for that font-family.
>>

> That is fine for a one-time test, but I would like to automate this as
> it is something that I will be doing often in a new project that I am
> involved in.

So what you are looking for is a kind of file descriptor listing the
font's capabilities about unicode sygns, right? I don't know if such file
is available for easy grepping. My understanting (I can be wrong, of
course) is that such features are hard-coded within font system libraries
(as "Pango" in GTK, etc...) :-?

>> If the font has not available the symbol, it will display a "fallback
>> alternative" sign, this is a suggested standard feature of unicode
>> fonts.
>>

> For instance, when I have Hebrew text but use a font that does not have
> Hebrew glyphs, I still see Hebrew letters. Obviously another font is
> being substituted.

I think standard letters are treated slightly different than extended
unicode characters.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
John Jason Jordan

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:58:17 +0200
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> dijo:

>On 28 January 2010 16:40, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:05:42 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> Open OOo Writer and write down the symbol to test it against all the
>> fonts. If some fonts do not display the Aleph, then you know it is
>> not available for that font-family.

>That is fine for a one-time test, but I would like to automate this as
>it is something that I will be doing often in a new project that I am
>involved in.

I suggest Fontmatrix or FontForge. They cannot automate the task, but
at least if they say the font contains the glyph, then you know it's
really there. (See comment below for additional options.)

>> If the font has not available the symbol, it will display a "fallback
>> alternative" sign, this is a suggested standard feature of unicode
>> fonts.

>For instance, when I have Hebrew text but use a font that does not
>have Hebrew glyphs, I still see Hebrew letters. Obviously another font
>is being substituted.

OpenOffice is the wrong tool to find out if a font contains a glyph. As
you have discovered, OOo will substitute the glyph from another font,
and it won't tell you it has done so. As far as I know this is also
true for MS Office, KOffice and AbiWord. Apparently users find this
"feature" so useful that Apple included it in the operating system for
MacOS.

A better tool would be Scribus, in canvas view (not in Story Editor
view). I needed to do a similar task for glyphs required by the
International Phonetic Alphabet. I created a document where I typed all
the glyphs (about 60), then copied and pasted over and over. I set each
set to one of the fonts I was considering and then looked for holes. If
you line the sets up to look like a table it makes it easy to see the
results.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Dotan Cohen

> So what you are looking for is a kind of file descriptor listing the
> font's capabilities about unicode sygns, right?

That would be great, but I was thinking more about accessing the
glyphs directly. Of course, I have no idea if this is possible but
something like (psuedocode, language soup):

for (fonts in /path/to/fonts) {
if ( glyph_in_font(א) ) {
print $fontName."
";
}
}

> I don't know if such file
> is available for easy grepping. My understanting (I can be wrong, of
> course) is that such features are hard-coded within font system libraries
> (as "Pango" in GTK, etc...) :-?

I googled Pango, but I'm still a bit unclear on the whole subject.

>> For instance, when I have Hebrew text but use a font that does not have
>> Hebrew glyphs, I still see Hebrew letters. Obviously another font is
>> being substituted.
>
> I think standard letters are treated slightly different than extended
> unicode characters.

I see. By standard letters do you mean ASCII characters?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il