Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Geek87

Default Question about having an always clean base system in Debian Sid

Hi all!

I'm new on the list so I hope my question is not stupid and I'm asking
it in the good list.

I have Sid installed on my computer and I would like to know how to keep
my base system (~prequired, ~pimportant, ~pstandard) always clean and up
to date automatically: if package A is no longer needed it should be
removed automatically and if package B is new and with one of the 3
priority above it should be installed automatically.

For the autoremove problem I found a solution: I put all ~prequired,
~pimportant, ~pstandard packages in "automatically installed" state and
put "~prequired, ~pimportant, ~pstandard" in the APT::NeverAutoRemove
directive of the apt.conf file. In this case every package that is
repacked with a new priority not in the 3 above will be automatically
removed unless there is a dependence on it.

For the autoinstall problem I didn't face the situation yet but I don't
know how I'll do.

I also would like to have it working similarly for the tasks: for
example if I have a task "Mail server" installed depending on Sendmail
and that the new version of this task now depends on Postfix, I would
like Sendmail to be automatically removed and Postfix to be
automatically installed. The technique above doesn't work for the tasks.

Do you have any idea? Is the technique I used bad and dirty?

Thanks in advance.

Geek87

Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:33:53 +0100, Geek87 <geek87@gmx.com> wrote:

> Do you have any idea? Is the technique I used bad and dirty?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Geek87

I don't think it's a good idea. Because if in your example sendmail is
replaced with postfix. Config files will not be magically filled it for
the
new system. Not that the above will happen often. The only thing you
should automate
is installing security updates every night, there is a package for this if
I remember correct.

When security is a concern, and it should, configure IPTABLES after
install before plugging in your system.

It depends on what you'll be using the system for.
I have Debian Samba PDC with DHCP and DNS: I really don't want this to
update just like that. Everything depends on it.

If it's your local desktop, it doens't really matter. But then you don't
have to automate it because you can do it at logon or whatever.

Koen Linders

Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Geek87

Le jeudi 28 janvier 2010 à 11:30 +0100, koen.news@koca.be a écrit :
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:33:53 +0100, Geek87 <geek87@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you have any idea? Is the technique I used bad and dirty?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Geek87
>
> I don't think it's a good idea. Because if in your example sendmail is
> replaced with postfix. Config files will not be magically filled it for
> the
> new system. Not that the above will happen often. The only thing you
> should automate
> is installing security updates every night, there is a package for this if
> I remember correct.
>
> When security is a concern, and it should, configure IPTABLES after
> install before plugging in your system.
>
> It depends on what you'll be using the system for.
> I have Debian Samba PDC with DHCP and DNS: I really don't want this to
> update just like that. Everything depends on it.
>
> If it's your local desktop, it doens't really matter. But then you don't
> have to automate it because you can do it at logon or whatever.
>
> Koen Linders

Thank you for the answer. So this is a bad idea for the tasks I agree
with you, I didn't see the things this way. But for the base system
(~prequired, ~pimportant and ~pstandard) do you think it's a bad idea
too? Why would it be bad idea to have the new packages (which now have
one of the 3 priorities above) and old packages (which no longer have
one of the 3 priorities) automatically proposed respectively for install
or removal on updates?

Geek87