Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 AM

Default virtual nics + official IP addresses: accessing internal servers

Hello,

Everything works qua NAT & redirects etc, except:
I'm trying to match virtual nic with external (official) IP i got from the
ISP.

eth0: external iFACE official IP1
eth1: internal 192.168.1.10/24

i created via eth0:1 an extra interfaces that matches official IP2 so I
can forward traffic to a specific server. I know I can redirect specific
ports on IP1 to a server and that works.

(e.g. $IPTABLES -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 9999 -j DNAT
--to 192.168.2.240:3389) = Works perfect)

IPtables doesn't accept eth0:1 as interface. But I can use the IP2.

2 questions:
1) Do i really need a virtual iFACE with IP2? I guess so
2) No other/better way to define multiple official IP's to one iFACE?
3) "IP2" is the official IP e.g. $IPTABLES -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d
"IP2" --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.240:80 => doesn't work

Any pointer on how to solve this problem? Maybe another approach. I will
need to do this for multiple servers...

thx,
Koen Linders