Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Geek

Default Mounting partition from one drive to another driver (bind?)

So my Debian Lenny is installed on /dev/sda1 (ext3 formatted). My VMware Virtual Machines are stored at the following locations on /dev/sda1
*
# ls -l /var/lib/vmware/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x* 3 root root 4096 2009-10-22 16:35 hostd
drwxrwxrwt 10 root root 4096 2010-01-25 12:21 Virtual Machines
#
*
I am running out of space on my sda1 partition and hence I would like to use another empty ext3 partition (/dev/sda5) to store my Virtual Machine. Here is what I am thinking to do:
*
1. Copy all the stuff from ls -l /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines onto the /dev/sda6 parition.
*
2. Put the following in my /etc/fstab on /dev/sda1:

/dev/sda6******/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines none bind 0 0
*
Just wanted to seek some opinions from experts*on the above solution. Also will the space in "Virtual Machine" will be acceptable by fstab.
*
Could I have just used:
/dev/sda6******/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
*
in my fstab?
*
Thanks in advance.
*

Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta

So my Debian Lenny is installed on /dev/sda1 (ext3 formatted). My
VMware Virtual Machines are stored at the following locations on /dev/sda1

# ls -l /var/lib/vmware/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2009-10-22 16:35 hostd
drwxrwxrwt 10 root root 4096 2010-01-25 12:21 Virtual Machines
#
I am running out of space on my sda1 partition and hence I would like
to use another empty ext3 partition (/dev/sda5) to store my Virtual
Machine. Here is what I am thinking to do:

Is sda5 or sda6? I suppose you misstype it, refering below as sda6.
1. Copy all the stuff from ls -l /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines onto
the /dev/sda6 parition.

2. Put the following in my /etc/fstab on /dev/sda1:

/dev/sda6 /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines none bind 0 0
"-bind" is not need unless you have a different mounting point for
/dev/sda6 for example /media/myotherdisk and you want to access
/media/myotherdisk from /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines, because you
can't mount twice a partitions with collateral problems then you need to
use bind over /media/myotherdisk.

Look at this: http://aplawrence.com/Linux/mount_bind.html
Just wanted to seek some opinions from experts on the above solution.
Also will the space in "Virtual Machine" will be acceptable by fstab.

Could I have just used:
/dev/sda6 /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

I think just this line is needed.

in my fstab?
Thanks in advance.

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-