Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
David BERCOT

Default Sound through HDMI with ATI Radeon HD 4550

Hello,

I'm not sure I'm at the right place (please, if not, tell me where I can
find a solution...) but I have a problem with multimedia hardware.
So, I've changed my graphic card and I've bought an ATI Radeon HD 4550.
My goal is to use only an HDMI cable between my computer and my AV
amplifier. I've installed Debian Sid but I can't have any sound...
Everything seems OK with Alsa (and PulseAudio), but no sound !!!

With google, I've found this :
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgxMA
[I should need a 2.6.33 kernel to have HDMI support with ATI cards]
So, I've compiled the 2.6.33RC5 kernel, but no difference !!!

The card seems to be OK :
# aplay -l
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Do you have any idea ?

Thank you.

David.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta

I'm not sure I'm at the right place (please, if not, tell me where I can
find a solution...) but I have a problem with multimedia hardware.
So, I've changed my graphic card and I've bought an ATI Radeon HD 4550.

In the ALSA supported card list is not yours:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-ATI

My goal is to use only an HDMI cable between my computer and my AV
amplifier. I've installed Debian Sid but I can't have any sound...
Everything seems OK with Alsa (and PulseAudio), but no sound !!!

A saw that your card is audio enabled:

HDMI output support

* Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x1080^2
* Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo
or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less
audio solution^4

As read on:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4550/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4550-specifications.aspx

With google, I've found this :
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgxMA
[I should need a 2.6.33 kernel to have HDMI support with ATI cards]
So, I've compiled the 2.6.33RC5 kernel, but no difference !!!

The card seems to be OK :
# aplay -l
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Try another sound output device and verify alsa-mixer ouput and digital
output source in volumen control on your desktop (gnome-sound-properties).

Look at this:

http://antiflash.org/notes/computers/linux,_radeon_4350_and_hdmi/

Also consult ATI Wiki (Many card and some comment about HDMI Sound):

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#HDMI_with_sound

Or try to tweak it with this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28199&start=0&hilit=ati+hdmi

Do you have any idea ?

Thank you.

David.

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-