Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Default Root filesystem full; faubackup problem?

Tim Beauregard put forth on 1/26/2010 6:33 PM:

> If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Yes. I have a suggestion. Post _RELEVANT_ data. Show us the output of df -h
and du -ch.

--
Stan

Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 AM
bruno

hello,

I have had this problem a couple of time. df and du output would not match.

This is due to the way du and df count. See here for explanations :

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/freebsd-why-command-df-and-du-reports-different-output.html

http://www.walkernews.net/2007/07/13/df-and-du-command-show-different-used-disk-space/

Hope it helps

Bruno

Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Tim Beauregard

Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Marc Olive

El Wednesday 27 January 2010 09:45:55 Tim Beauregard va escriure:
> Apologies if the first message wasn't clear enough:
>
> df -h

> /dev/hda1 56G 55G 0 100% /
> tmpfs 237M 0 237M 0% /lib/init/rw
> udev 10M 696K 9.4M 7% /dev
> tmpfs 237M 0 237M 0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hdb1 74G 44G 27G 63% /documents
> /dev/sda1 699G 336G 363G 49% /maxtor
> overflow 1.0M 0 1.0M 0% /tmp
>
> lsof doesn't show any files greater than 5MB in size.

Maybe you copied /document files to /documents without being hdb1 monuted?
Try to umount /documents and see if there are still all files.

--

Marc Olivé
Grup Blau

marc.olive@grupblau.com

Tel. + 34 977 87 07 02
Tel i Fax. + 34 977 87 05 07

Plaça d'en Canós 9-11, 2on 1a
Espluga de Francolí
Tarragona

www.grupblau.com

Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Tim Beauregard

Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Marc Olive

El Wednesday 27 January 2010 12:20:28 Tim Beauregard va escriure:
> Marc Olive wrote:
> > Maybe you copied /document files to /documents without being hdb1
> > monuted? Try to umount /documents and see if there are still all files.
>
> tim@server:~$ umount /documents
> tim@server:~$ ls -l /documents/
> total 0
>
> As expected?

No, there aren't the files, the problem was not the one I was pointing to.
Mount again "documents" and continue searching a solution.

--

Marc Olivé
Grup Blau

Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

What is the result of

umount /documents
umount /maxtor
du -x --max-depth=1 / | sort -n

?
(Don't forget to remount /dev/hdb1 and /dev/sda1 ;-)
Jörg-Volker.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
"James Wu"

I wouldn't dismiss what Marc was onto. If you do the math, 44G in /documents + 11G in the rest of / == 55G, seems to be a bit more than coincidence. I know you already tried ls -l /documents/ after you umounted but just for curiosity's sake, I wonder what happens when you do:

umount /documents
du -sh /documents

Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Tim Beauregard

James Wu wrote:
> I wouldn't dismiss what Marc was onto. If you do the math, 44G in
> /documents + 11G in the rest of / == 55G, seems to be a bit more than
> coincidence. I know you already tried ls -l /documents/ after you
> umounted but just for curiosity's sake, I wonder what happens when you do:
>
> umount /documents
> du -sh /documents

du -sh /documents/
4.0K /documents/

I agree with you about 44+11. The mystery if this is the origin of my
problem, is that we are talking about two separate drives (/dev/hdb1 +
/dev/hda1).

> What is the result of

umount /documents
umount /maxtor
du -x --max-depth=1 / | sort -n

0 /dev
0 /proc
0 /sys
0 /tmp
4 /documents
4 /mnt
4 /opt
4 /selinux
4 /srv
12 /media
16 /lost+found
24 /root
80 /home
4132 /bin
4228 /sbin
4264 /etc
6520 /boot
68740 /lib
179776 /var
637304 /usr
11136816 /backup
44830668 /maxtor
56872608 /

Very interesting!

tim@server:~$ df
/dev/hda1 57677500 57056884 0 100% /
tmpfs 241824 0 241824 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10240 696 9544 7% /dev
tmpfs 241824 0 241824 0% /dev/shm
overflow 1024 0 1024 0% /tmp

tim@server:~$ ls -l /maxtor/
total 52
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-05-18 05:36 2009-05-18@05:36:07
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-05-25 05:50 2009-05-25@05:50:07
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-06-01 05:50 2009-06-01@05:50:29
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-06-08 05:50 2009-06-08@05:50:48
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-06-15 05:50 2009-06-15@05:50:24
drwxrwxr-- 7 root users 4096 2009-06-22 05:52 2009-06-22@05:52:22
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4096 2009-07-13 05:54 2009-07-13@05:54:45
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4096 2009-07-20 06:02 2009-07-20@06:02:14
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4096 2009-07-27 06:02 2009-07-27@06:02:03
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4096 2009-08-17 06:01 2009-08-17@06:01:50
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4096 2009-09-14 06:04 2009-09-14@06:04:43
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4096 2009-09-21 06:03 2009-09-21@06:03:12
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4096 2009-10-05 06:04 2009-10-05@06:04:48

So...there is a copy of many OLD faubackups on /dev/hda1!

tim@server:~$ sudo mount /maxtor/
tim@server:~$ ls -l /maxtor/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-09-28 06:06 2009-09-28@06:06:58
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-11-02 06:13 2009-11-02@06:13:59
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-12-07 06:15 2009-12-07@06:15:52
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-12-21 06:16 2009-12-21@06:16:07
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-12-28 06:15 2009-12-28@06:15:57
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2010-01-04 06:17 2010-01-04@06:17:13
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2010-01-11 06:17 2010-01-11@06:17:47
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2010-01-18 06:18 2010-01-18@06:18:44

My backup strategy involves two Maxtor external hard drives, one being
connected for six months and then swapped with the second which has been
stored off site. Somehow the non-connected Maxtor data has been saved
on /dev/hda1.

My easy solution is to umount /maxtor, and delete all the old backups.

I wonder, maybe faubackup can't cope with disappearing data...?

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 AM
bruno

Tim Beauregard wrote:

James Wu wrote:

[...]

Maybe it is due to the way faubackup works. In the man pages it states :

BUGS

You need a filesystem with stable device id and inode number so that
faubackup can correctly find your files again. This may be violated by
some remote filesystems, for example Samba.

Maybe swapping drives falls into this categorie too.

Bruno