Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Julien Vehent

Default magazines on linux

Hey guys,

Something a little bit off Debian, I'm looking at litterature from the UK
and the US and I was wondering what are the good magazine on linux out
there.

The ideal would be to be able to order an issue online, and eventually get
a subscription after.

Thanks,
Julien

Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Michal

On 26/01/2010 16:28, Julien Vehent wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Something a little bit off Debian, I'm looking at litterature from the UK
> and the US and I was wondering what are the good magazine on linux out
> there.
>
> The ideal would be to be able to order an issue online, and eventually get
> a subscription after.
>

> Thanks,
> Julien

Linux Magazine (linux-magazine.com) is out in the UK (and US I guess)
it's not bad. Has beginner and mid-range stuff. Some copies can be a bit
user focused for my liking but it almsot always has good sysadmin stuff
like web servers, protecting networks etc. It even has a programming
section with a few articles on bits here and there

Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:28:52 +0100, Julien Vehent wrote:

> Something a little bit off Debian, I'm looking at litterature from the
> UK and the US and I was wondering what are the good magazine on linux
> out there.
>
> The ideal would be to be able to order an issue online, and eventually
> get a subscription after.

JFYI, I am subscribed to the RSS channels of:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/
http://www.linuxjournal.com/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Julien Vehent wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Something a little bit off Debian, I'm looking at litterature from the UK
> and the US and I was wondering what are the good magazine on linux out
> there.
>
> The ideal would be to be able to order an issue online, and eventually get
> a subscription after.
>

> Thanks,
> Julien

Hi,
You should have no trouble subscribe to or even find LinuxJournal
overseas http://www.linuxjournal.com/ I use to buy it sometimes at
Border or large newsagents in the UK, I can find it in Norway easily and
with a bit of luck in France too. It's general information, some (a bit
more) in-deepth articles, some DIY projects. Good for a train ride w/out
wifi.
>From the UK LinuxMagazine http://www.linux-magazine.com/ used to be of
some interest, it's shipped and sometimes available abroad, but it's
usually very expensive. It's aimed at sysadmin, a bit of development,
corporate tech. Comes with a dvd of whatever distribution of the week.

There's also LFX (stands for "LinuxFormat" I believe) in the UK, more
geared towards desktop/end-users, newbies-friendly articles often, some
"programming for beginners" mini-projects. Fairly expensive, comes with
a cd/dvd too. http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/

[OT]But IMHO paper is heavy, costly, made of dead trees, consumes lots
of fuel to ship away and often carries outdated informations... They are
also available in pdf I guess.[/OT]