Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Joe Neal

Default Monitor goes to sleep on X startup following upgrade in sid

Howdy

I just rebooted my sid box for the first time in about a week to find
that my monitor goes into sleep mode following X startup.
Ctl-Alt-F1-F6 wakes it up and lets me log into a console. Ctl-Alt-F7
puts it back to sleep.

There are some segfaults in the X log related to input drivers, but
nothing that looks like it would cause this problem. I can't copy and
paste easily because I'm on a different computer.

I've got a motherboard with an integrated i915 video chipset that uses
the intel X driver. The driver is being properly loaded by X
according to the logs.

I've tried switching out GDM for KDM to make sure that's not the problem.

I use apt-listbugs and only upgrade once a week or so. I skimmed the
list of RC bugs and didn't see anything like this. I searched the
debian forum, looked at several recent mailing list archives and
asked on irc. Anyone here got any ideas?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-26 08:43 +0100, Joe Neal wrote:

> I just rebooted my sid box for the first time in about a week to find
> that my monitor goes into sleep mode following X startup.
> Ctl-Alt-F1-F6 wakes it up and lets me log into a console. Ctl-Alt-F7
> puts it back to sleep.

Looks like bug #564115.

> There are some segfaults in the X log related to input drivers, but
> nothing that looks like it would cause this problem. I can't copy and
> paste easily because I'm on a different computer.
>
> I've got a motherboard with an integrated i915 video chipset that uses
> the intel X driver. The driver is being properly loaded by X
> according to the logs.

In version 2:2.9.1-2, xserver-xorg-video-intel uses kernel mode setting
by default. I assume you are running a 2.6.32 kernel?

> I've tried switching out GDM for KDM to make sure that's not the problem.
>
> I use apt-listbugs and only upgrade once a week or so. I skimmed the
> list of RC bugs and didn't see anything like this. I searched the
> debian forum, looked at several recent mailing list archives and
> asked on irc. Anyone here got any ideas?

Try adding a line

options i915 powersave=0

to /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf. Does that help?

Sven

Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Joe Neal

On 1/26/10, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-01-26 08:43 +0100, Joe Neal wrote:
>
> > I just rebooted my sid box for the first time in about a week to find
> > that my monitor goes into sleep mode following X startup.
> > Ctl-Alt-F1-F6 wakes it up and lets me log into a console. Ctl-Alt-F7
> > puts it back to sleep.
>

> Looks like bug #564115.

perhaps it's related, yes

> > There are some segfaults in the X log related to input drivers, but
> > nothing that looks like it would cause this problem. I can't copy and
> > paste easily because I'm on a different computer.
> >
> > I've got a motherboard with an integrated i915 video chipset that uses
> > the intel X driver. The driver is being properly loaded by X
> > according to the logs.
>

> In version 2:2.9.1-2, xserver-xorg-video-intel uses kernel mode setting
> by default. I assume you are running a 2.6.32 kernel?

Yes, I am.

> > I've tried switching out GDM for KDM to make sure that's not the problem.
> >
> > I use apt-listbugs and only upgrade once a week or so. I skimmed the
> > list of RC bugs and didn't see anything like this. I searched the
> > debian forum, looked at several recent mailing list archives and
> > asked on irc. Anyone here got any ideas?
>

> Try adding a line
>
> options i915 powersave=0
>
> to /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf. Does that help?

Sorry, no luck.Thanks though. That produced no change.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Joe Neal

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> Try adding a line
>
> options i915 powersave=0
>
> to /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf. *Does that help?
>
> Sven

I just disabled KMS entirely and that seemed to fix it. I filed a new
bug report since there didn't seem to be anything that quite touched
on it already there.