-   -   boot hangs on pass phrase to unock encrypted root (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/315074-boot-hangs-pass-phrase-unock-encrypted-root.html)

k b 01-26-2010 04:42 AM

boot hangs on pass phrase to unock encrypted root

hello,

i can no longer boot my computer due to the problem in the subject line. ive looked in the initramfs-tools bug reports, but can not find anything exactly like this. but im not completly sure what package i should look for the problem in.

the problem is the boot hangs on the luks passphrase. i key the passphrase and press enter, and nothing happens. before, when the system booted, upon entering the passphrase and pressing enter, i would get a newline, and soon after the message that the disk was unlocked or that the passphrase is wrong. but now i dont even get the newline.

im running debian/squeeze, kernel linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64, Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz

by the way, i can mount the encrypted disk from a live cd with out any problems using cryptsetup, vgscan and mount.

the only thing related i found on the internet, is related to a usb keyboard, but im using the integrated keyb of my lap. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1228063

thanks

Ian MacDonald 01-26-2010 03:00 PM

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 05:42 +0000, k b wrote:
> i can no longer boot my computer due to the problem in the subject
> line.

That is really no fun, so here are a few suggestions. Since you verified
the implementation of luks using the live cd, my bet is graphics or
input devices

1) If you have been messing with console modes (per another thread),
revert back to 640x480; Just fooling around with GFXPAYLOAD I have found
some interesting results on various graphics cards that might appear to
freeze and do other things; with ATI especially generally the HD ones
are useless without building kernel with fglrx (notably my laptop
HD3200)

2) Curious if you experience the same result getting rid of any
quiet/splash cmd line parameters you may be passing, or if the same
issue occurs in single user mode (this might rule out any other graphics
related issues)

> the only thing related i found on the internet, is related to a usb
> keyboard, but im using the integrated keyb of my lap.

3) On the input side, did you have any luck using an external USB
keyboard? (have you upgraded bios or changed anything there that might
impact your input devices)

If you had any interrupted upgrades, it might be worth rebuilding
initramfs (update-initramfs) from a chrooted system from the live cd in
case something has gone wrong there.

mictlan tecutli 01-27-2010 12:23 AM

boot hangs on pass phrase to unock encrypted root

im usiing a custom kernel, but ive also tried the 2.6.29-2-amd64 from debian repos and i get the same results. i also have tried single user mode with the same result . i also tried debian-live 64bit rescue image (on usb) which boots to console, and i have no keyboard their either. however with a debian-live with which boots X keyboard works fine. i can change to console with cntrl-alt-f1 and keyboard does work.

i just instaled a new kernel, linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 from sid, to see what happens with initramfs on the new kernel. on install i get the following errors. the "invalid line in /etc/cryptab -" has always appeared but not caused any harm. the grub-probe error may be related to the chroot, however should be noted that ls /dev shows that its full of devices.

Running update-initramfs.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-amd64
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169
cryptsetup: WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab -
cryptsetup: WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab -
Running update-grub.
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev
mounted?).

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Ian B. MacDonald <ian@ianbmacdonald.com> wrote:

> Hmm. On detection seems even stranger
> About that point udev is doing its work; have you made and changes wrt udev rules or installed any packages that might introduce new rules

i updated my system, but it powered down, battery ran out of juice. it was an aptitude safe-upgrade but im not sure what all packets got updated. have not touched udev rules. the next time i booted is when i could no longer login.

> The delay change (passphrase vs detection) on the hang makes me think that device detection is involved
> More details on kernel and package versions might be helpful

initramfs-tools=0.93.4
grub=0.97-59
udev=150-2

> Running memtest to ensure you are not up aainst some dying hardware might not be a bad idea
> In any event it seems strange;
> Is it safe to say this happens in single user mode too?

yes

Ian MacDonald 01-27-2010 04:22 AM

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 01:23 +0000, mictlan tecutli wrote:

> im usiing a custom kernel, but ive also tried the 2.6.29-2-amd64 from
> debian repos and i get the same results.

2.6.29-2-amd64 doesn't seem current for any of the distributions right
now. From your versions below (iniramfs, grub) you appear to be running
squeeze/testing.

http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&keywor ds=linux-image-2.6-amd64

> i also have tried single user mode with the same result
> . i also tried debian-live 64bit rescue image (on usb) which boots to
> console, and i have no keyboard their either.
> however with a debian-live with which boots X keyboard works fine.

Great, you can inspect logs, var/cache and such. Anything else funny
that might indicate udev / kernel issues? How old is this live cd?
kernel?

> i can change to console with cntrl-alt-f1 and keyboard does work.
> i just instaled a new kernel, linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 from sid,
> to see what happens with initramfs on the new kernel.

I'd suggest starting with the kernel paired with udev for your
distribution 2.6.32+23 to start.

> on install i get the following errors. the "invalid line
> in /etc/cryptab -" has always appeared but not caused any harm. the
> grub-probe error may be related to the chroot, however should be noted
> that ls /dev shows that its full of devices.
>
> Running update-initramfs.
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-amd64
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169
> cryptsetup: WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab -
> cryptsetup: WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab -
> Running update-grub.
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev
> mounted?).

> i updated my system, but it powered down, battery ran out of juice. it
> was an aptitude safe-upgrade but im not sure what all packets got
> updated. have not touched udev rules. the next time i booted is when i
> could no longer login.

Okay, this is sorta what it sounded like from the start.. bad/broken
upgrade. Correlation with an upgrade should have been the starting
point.

Using your live cd, go inspect the packages that updated/changed
using /var/log/dpkg.log and/or /var/cache/apt/archives (file
datestamps); I usually ls -al to text file and squirrel away in /root as
the next steps I suggest will flush the archives

chroot in, mount proc and any relavant fstab mount points

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade (if anything happens here.. retry boot test first)
apt-get install <packagesthat changed> --reinstall

If no change (still hung), just apt-get to the versions you had before
(per your review of apt archives or dpkg.log) and see if the issue goes
away.

Likely it will be resolved by a) corrupt upgrade fix or b) reverting to
previous package set, the later which can be narrowed down easily for a
bug report as required.

Noting that you are coming from 2.6.29-2 on squeeze means your upgrade
appears to have been from mid 2009 or earlier based on changelogs;

Since the packages below are current squeeze, IMHO you probably had an
upgrade and dist-upgrade pending and didn't get to second step

Since you are unsure the upgrade finished, and given there was such a
large number of updates pending, I would guess it probably dies on a
pre/post package configuration screen. udev would certainly have had a
warning on the deprecated_sysfs kernel compatibility issues with the
newer version if this is the case.

I would have guessed you would see incomplete package updates on your
chroot and install of the sid/trunk kernel packages. Did apt or dpkg
give you any output suggesting that the upgrade did not finish?

In any event, hopefully a re-install/upgrade resolves the issue or gives
you some more insight.

> > More details on kernel and package versions might be helpful
>
> initramfs-tools=0.93.4
> grub=0.97-59
> udev=150-2

Best of luck; I am fresh out of ideas now.