Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Bernard

Default opening and searching old staroffice mails

Hi to Everyone,

I need to search old mails that I had received through StarOffice 5.1
and StarOffice 5.2. The mail files had the extension '.sdm'. One cannot
edit them correctly with any text editor, StarOffice is needed for that.
Today, OpenOffice.org that I run under Debian Lenny, no longer deals
with mail. So, I made an attempt to re-install StarOffice 5.2 on to an
old computer on which I reinstalled RedHat 7.2, since I doubt if Soffice
5.2 would run on Lenny.

This being done, I don't know how to go any further. I could read my
.sdm files, but most of this old mail has not been storaged under sdm
files, and I remember having been able to recuperate ancient mails from
a file of that sort :

/home/user/office52/store/myidentifierpopfreefrpop3.scs'

I have found several of such files in storaged volumes (CD and external
HD). But, so far, installing them in my new '/home/user/office52/store'
directory, did not lead to any success. One of this files is 53.4 MB,
and could hold the mails that I am searching.

Would anyone in here have some experience in recuperating old mail files
from StarOffice ?

About 3 years ago, I had asked a similar advice in a Staroffice or
openoffice mailing list, but I had obtained no useful reply.

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:05:58 +0100, Bernard wrote:

(...)

> Would anyone in here have some experience in recuperating old mail files
> from StarOffice ?

I don't know what are the capabilities of your e-mail client, but in the
event it can handle IMAP accounts, the easiest way to transfer the e-
mails from one MUA to another, is by setting up a local IMAP server and
manually copy the e-mails from one application to another.

As IMAP server handles its own maildir/mbox format, you do not have to
worry about that on the client side :-)

Then, once all the e-mails are transferred or backed up into the new MUA,
you can archive them (if they are not being actively accessed) and
perform any search within the e-mails using standard tools.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:05:58 +0100, Bernard wrote:
[...]
> I don't know what are the capabilities of your e-mail client, but in the
> event it can handle IMAP accounts, the easiest way to transfer the e-
> mails from one MUA to another, is by setting up a local IMAP server and
> manually copy the e-mails from one application to another.

IMHO, this does not only apply to _transfering_ between applications but
also to *archiving*. You will be able to access your mails with _any_
MUA and from any computer, as long as both computers are on and online
8-)

--
Johannes

Three nations have not officially adopted the International System
of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma,
Liberia, and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_units