Old 01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
"Michael D. Norwick"

Default POLL: tape backup format and software

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

Could those of you who use tape (DDS, DLT, Ultrium) for backup or
archive tell me what format and software you have found most helpful?

I only have a couple of boxes to backup. Right now, they each run their
own script and create a tarball that then the main box rsyncs to its
raid1 array (and the main box rsyncs its most important data (small set)
to the other boxes.

I'm going to be transitioning to tape for long-term archiving. I could
just pass the existing tarballs out to tapes and keep a manual log of
what is where. I could use a different format. I could use some other
software.

Re format: since some things (e.g. CD.iso's to protect existing CDs
from scratches) are intended for long-term storage, I would like the
file format to be very portable. I know that nobody knows for sure what
formats will be able to be read in 20 years, but what would be a good
bet (to avoid having to copy the tape just to change formats)? For this
reason, I don't want just dump tapes since they're filesystem (and OS?)
specific.

I don't need the complexity of Amanda or Baccula. I'm not sure I need
any complexity at all.

Thanks for your POLL results and your feedback.

Doug.

Don't understand all the bandwidth used in your search for a backup
solution. You've been given a number of tape scenarios, cd, and dvd backup.
2 used DLT and DDS drives backup (and restore) all of my everyday stuff
using only tar commands (which could be scheduled from a cron job if I
wasn't so lazy)

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Backup_using_cron_(simple)
I recently downloaded Lone-Tar -
http://www.cactus.com/index.php?p=press43. It looks promising and
appears worth paying for.

CD's take care of anything I feel is REALLY important.
http://cd-utils.sourceforge.net/
http://www.linux-backup.net/App/
http://www.willowsoft.com/backup/index.html

I've also got more files stored on cheap flash media, than I'll ever be
able to figure out what I needed them for. I've got a couple of older
laptops with pcmcia slots that still read/write 8 year old media just fine.
I'm also looking at a pile of 9 and 12 GB hard drives (formatted ext3)
which hold who knows what, but will seek and access as soon as I plug
them in to a spare drive case I rigged for testing.
So, I've archived to tape (DLT, DDS, floppy tape, Travan) flash, pcmcia
media, zip, CD, DVD (usb HP unit), hard disk, and a pile of floppies.
All have saved my bacon during new installs gone wrong or utility power
interruptions. Tape rules if only for the quantity and efficiency of
data storage.

Are you archiving for posterity?

Michael

Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 07:49:05PM +0000, Michael D. Norwick wrote:

> I've also got more files stored on cheap flash media, than I'll ever be
> able to figure out what I needed them for. I've got a couple of older
> laptops with pcmcia slots that still read/write 8 year old media just fine.
> I'm also looking at a pile of 9 and 12 GB hard drives (formatted ext3)
> which hold who knows what, but will seek and access as soon as I plug
> them in to a spare drive case I rigged for testing.
> So, I've archived to tape (DLT, DDS, floppy tape, Travan) flash, pcmcia
> media, zip, CD, DVD (usb HP unit), hard disk, and a pile of floppies.
> All have saved my bacon during new installs gone wrong or utility power
> interruptions. Tape rules if only for the quantity and efficiency of
> data storage.
> Are you archiving for posterity?

What other kind of archiving is there?

I can put a tape in the bank's safety deposit box (for secure off-site)
but I can't fit a normal CD or DVD which leaves mini. Minis cost more
and hold far less.

There are lots of things that I don't backup because I don't have a
place to put them. E.g. frequently used CDs, nice to have an .iso from
which to make replacements. I could probably easily come up with at
least 20 GB that I'd like to have on an archive; who knows what in the
future.

Doug.