Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Adam Hardy

Default two local networks

I know this must be obvious to anyone who does this all the time, but I can't
figure it out and following a googling session I ended up trashing my network,
so I figured I'd better ask.

I am trying to install a Belkin wireless print server and it's got a web
interface factory setting on 192.168.2.253 which I currently can't browse with
my setup as it is (request timed out).

I'm working on my LAN's gateway server, which has two NICs, one for the local
network eth0 and one for the internet.

The Belkin print server is switched on, but as said, I can't browse it
presumably because my LAN is set up on 192.168.0.x

To make things possibly more complicated, the gateway is using iptables but I'm
not convinced it's iptables causing the problem. Packets should be able to get
straight out of the gateway internal interface as long as they don't come from
the external interface.

I'm more expecting it to be my subnet mask that I need to change, but like I
mentioned first, when I tried changing that I downed the whole network, which
looks like this:

eth0 inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth1 inet addr:86.182.225.179 Bcast:86.182.225.179 Mask:255.255.255.255

Any inspiration gratefully received.

Thanks
Adam

Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Jochen Schulz

Adam Hardy:

> I am trying to install a Belkin wireless print server and it's got a web
> interface factory setting on 192.168.2.253 which I currently can't browse
> with my setup as it is (request timed out).
>
> I'm working on my LAN's gateway server, which has two NICs, one for the
> local network eth0 and one for the internet.

Your problem most probably is that your gateway is missing a (host)
route to the print server. Because of that, it routes requests to the
print server through its default interface (the one connected to the
internet. AFAIK, something like

# route add -host 192.168.2.253 eth0

Should do the trick. And if that gateway is already the default gateway
for your LAN clients, these clients should be able to reach the print
server as well. Otherwise, you need to find out how to push static
routes to the clients (via DHCP) or configure them manually where
necessary.

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Robert David

Hi

First: Why cant you set the printer to apply your local network. Just set some
computer in the local network with static addres 192.168.2.x, connect to
printer administration console and set it up.

Second: If it cannot be set. Try to extend your current mask with another two
bits => 255.255.251.0 (192.168.0.0/22)

But I suggest you to do the first step. Because the second could cause
problems on some devices with static ip set and you will need to change the
config.

Robert.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Adam Hardy

First: Why cant you set the printer to apply your local network. Just set some
computer in the local network with static addres 192.168.2.x, connect to
printer administration console and set it up.

Second: If it cannot be set. Try to extend your current mask with another two
bits => 255.255.251.0 (192.168.0.0/22)

But I suggest you to do the first step. Because the second could cause
problems on some devices with static ip set and you will need to change the
config.

Yes I could do that but I'd like to understand how to do this business with the
two networks, and if for whatever reason I have to repeat the printer server
configuration, it could get tedious using another workstation and setting it up
to be on 192.168.2.1 each time.

Plus I think I did something similar before with the DSL modem, which has a web
interface on 192.168.1.1 and that currently works - although it's on the
external NIC.

Thanks though
Adam

Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
James Zuelow

>I'm more expecting it to be my subnet mask that I need to change, but like I
>mentioned first, when I tried changing that I downed the whole network, which
>looks like this:

>eth0 inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

>eth1 inet addr:86.182.225.179 Bcast:86.182.225.179 Mask:255.255.255.255
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

>Any inspiration gratefully received.

>Thanks
>Adam

Don't change the network mask for your LAN. It is fastest to just use a sub-interface:

1) as root: ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.2.1/24 up
2) as regular user: ping the Belkin & make sure it is where you think it is, then browse to the Belkin, configure it, change it's IP to match your LAN
3) as root: ifconfig eth0:0 down

You can routinely use sub-interfaces to handle situations like this where new equipment has a default IP address that isn't part of your normal subnet. Using a sub-interface won't interfere with your normal LAN traffic. Rather, you can think of them as a "virtual NIC" that is sharing the same physical network as your LAN. The ifconfig manpage will tell you more.

Cheers,

James

Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Adam Hardy

I am trying to install a Belkin wireless print server and it's got a web
interface factory setting on 192.168.2.253 which I currently can't browse
with my setup as it is (request timed out).

I'm working on my LAN's gateway server, which has two NICs, one for the
local network eth0 and one for the internet.

Your problem most probably is that your gateway is missing a (host)
route to the print server. Because of that, it routes requests to the
print server through its default interface (the one connected to the
internet. AFAIK, something like

# route add -host 192.168.2.253 eth0

OK grand, with that route cmd, I can access the printer server.

One more question - where should I put this in the gateway's networking setup to
make it permanent?

Thanks
Adam

Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Jochen Schulz

Adam Hardy:
> Jochen Schulz on 25/01/10 14:46, wrote:
>>
>> # route add -host 192.168.2.253 eth0
>
> OK grand, with that route cmd, I can access the printer server.
>
> One more question - where should I put this in the gateway's networking
> setup to make it permanent?

AFAICT, there's no special mechanism for static routes. But you can add
them to /etc/network/interfaces like this:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

up route add -host 192.168.2.253 eth0
down route del -host 192.168.2.253 eth0

J.
--
I eat meat and am concerned about bugs which are resistant to
antibiotics.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Adam Hardy

OK grand, with that route cmd, I can access the printer server.

One more question - where should I put this in the gateway's networking
setup to make it permanent?

AFAICT, there's no special mechanism for static routes. But you can add
them to /etc/network/interfaces like this:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

up route add -host 192.168.2.253 eth0
down route del -host 192.168.2.253 eth0

If I said:

route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

then all IP addresses from 1 to 255 would be routed, according to man.

I saw that using the -host option causes the routing table to set up a route
with the netmask 255.255.255.255 - not quite sure of the significance of that
though. Is that sensible though?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Jochen Schulz

Adam Hardy:

> If I said:
>
> route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>
> then all IP addresses from 1 to 255 would be routed, according to man.

True.

> I saw that using the -host option causes the routing table to set up a
> route with the netmask 255.255.255.255 - not quite sure of the
> significance of that though. Is that sensible though?

If you have just this one device with an IP address in 192.168.2.0/24,
then a host route will work. If you have several devices, you could
either go the braindead route (no pun intended) and add a host route for
all of them or use a network route like the one you proposed.

J.
--
If I won the lottery I would keep all the money and wallpaper my house
with it.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Chris Davies

Adam Hardy:

Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> OK [...] where should I put this in the gateway's networking setup to
> make it permanent?

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the printer server onto the same IP
address subnet as the rest of your kit?

Chris