Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Mark Fletcher

Default ipw3945 takes a while to warm up???

Hi list

I'm running etch on a Toshiba Satellite laptop I picked up about a year
ago now in Hong Kong. It's on my home wireless LAN supported by a
Buffalo Airstation 54G which I bought recently here in Japan. The
wireless LAN card in the laptop is an inbuilt Intel ipw3945.

If I configure my interfaces file to use WEP, and configure my wireless
router accordingly, everything works perfectly.

However, I recently made the switch to WPA. What I notice now is that
when I boot up the initial attempt to get an IP address from the
wireless router via DHCP USUALLY fails (very occasionally works first
time, but hasn't for ages now) -- times out and eventually gives up. The
boot then continues and I end up in gdm as normal. If I now log straight
in I will find networking is not working. However, if I just leave it
for a while and go make a coffee or something, when I come back and log
in, networking will be working. So something is clearly trying again
later and succeeding the second time.

It's not a huge deal but I'd like it to work the first time. Previously
I noticed a kernel module ieee80211_crypt_ccmp being loaded just after
the initial attempt to connect to the router during boot, so I added
that to /etc/modules to see if that would help (the idea being to put it
in place before the attempt to connect) but it hasn't made any
difference.

I'm thinking that some of my startup scripts are out of order but I'm
not sure which ones are relevant, so looking for advice.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Mark Fletcher

A few days ago, in the middle of a spam storm, I wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I'm running etch on a Toshiba Satellite laptop I picked up about a year
> ago now in Hong Kong. It's on my home wireless LAN supported by a
> Buffalo Airstation 54G which I bought recently here in Japan. The
> wireless LAN card in the laptop is an inbuilt Intel ipw3945.
>
> If I configure my interfaces file to use WEP, and configure my wireless
> router accordingly, everything works perfectly.
>
> However, I recently made the switch to WPA. What I notice now is that
> when I boot up the initial attempt to get an IP address from the
> wireless router via DHCP USUALLY fails (very occasionally works first
> time, but hasn't for ages now) -- times out and eventually gives up. The
> boot then continues and I end up in gdm as normal. If I now log straight
> in I will find networking is not working. However, if I just leave it
> for a while and go make a coffee or something, when I come back and log
> in, networking will be working. So something is clearly trying again
> later and succeeding the second time.

I just discovered last night that, whilst my machine displays the below symptoms
using the stock etch-packaged 2.6.18-5-686 kernel, a 2.6.22 kernel I built
myself from kernel.org does not -- the network comes up properly at boot time.
For that kernel I built the ipw3945 driver myself (with help from the source
package maintainer!) from the source in unstable (was advised to do so by the
package maintainer, don't remember why). Wonder if the ipw3945 driver in the
stock kernel is at the root of this? Or am I getting too OT for this list?

Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:21:08AM +0000, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> A few days ago, in the middle of a spam storm, I wrote:
>

> > Hi list
> >
> > I'm running etch on a Toshiba Satellite laptop I picked up about a year
> > ago now in Hong Kong. It's on my home wireless LAN supported by a
> > Buffalo Airstation 54G which I bought recently here in Japan. The
> > wireless LAN card in the laptop is an inbuilt Intel ipw3945.
> >
> > If I configure my interfaces file to use WEP, and configure my wireless
> > router accordingly, everything works perfectly.
> >
> > However, I recently made the switch to WPA. What I notice now is that
> > when I boot up the initial attempt to get an IP address from the
> > wireless router via DHCP USUALLY fails (very occasionally works first
> > time, but hasn't for ages now) -- times out and eventually gives up. The
> > boot then continues and I end up in gdm as normal. If I now log straight
> > in I will find networking is not working. However, if I just leave it
> > for a while and go make a coffee or something, when I come back and log
> > in, networking will be working. So something is clearly trying again
> > later and succeeding the second time.
>
> I just discovered last night that, whilst my machine displays the below symptoms
> using the stock etch-packaged 2.6.18-5-686 kernel, a 2.6.22 kernel I built
> myself from kernel.org does not -- the network comes up properly at boot time.
> For that kernel I built the ipw3945 driver myself (with help from the source
> package maintainer!) from the source in unstable (was advised to do so by the
> package maintainer, don't remember why). Wonder if the ipw3945 driver in the
> stock kernel is at the root of this? Or am I getting too OT for this list?

FWIW I've seen some similar behavior with no explicable
pattern. Sometimes my networking comes right up and sometimes it
doesn't. The other day I had to actually modprobe -r ipw3945 and then
reinsert it to get it all working while also working some mojo with
the radio control switch. This is on sid, relatively up-to-date and no
relevant upgrades between the time it was working and not.

Of course now it just works again, for no known reason. I think it's
safe to say that ipw3945 can be a little flaky?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list
>
> I'm running etch on a Toshiba Satellite laptop I picked up about a year
> ago now in Hong Kong. It's on my home wireless LAN supported by a
> Buffalo Airstation 54G which I bought recently here in Japan. The
> wireless LAN card in the laptop is an inbuilt Intel ipw3945.
>
> If I configure my interfaces file to use WEP, and configure my wireless
> router accordingly, everything works perfectly.
>
> However, I recently made the switch to WPA. What I notice now is that
> when I boot up the initial attempt to get an IP address from the
> wireless router via DHCP USUALLY fails (very occasionally works first
> time, but hasn't for ages now) -- times out and eventually gives up. The
> boot then continues and I end up in gdm as normal. If I now log straight
> in I will find networking is not working.

I have the same problem with my HP Pavillion/etch/ipw3945, although I
have a Belkin N1 as access point.

I found that delaying the wlan set-up by moving it from
/etc/init.d/networking to /etc/rc.local is an improvement - now it
works at least 9 times out of 10.

> However, if I just leave it for a while and go make a coffee or
> something, when I come back and log in, networking will be
> working. So something is clearly trying again later and succeeding
> the second time.

I suppose you have network-manager or something similar installed?

Cheers
--
Björn Wirén