Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
gn643202

Default Group - users, GID 100 - intenstion

What is the purpose and intent of the Group "users", GID #100?

Is this to be populated with all normal users?
I have such a purpose, but not sure whether to use Group "users" or
create a new Group (like "everyone") for that purpose. I do assume
that some files are created by the system with the Group "users" since
it is a standard Group.
I did notice if you do not have a User added to the Group Users,
then he does not have access automatically.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 05:00:00PM -0600, gn643202 wrote:
> What is the purpose and intent of the Group "users", GID #100?
>
> Is this to be populated with all normal users?

For some admin, yes.
Is this default for normal Debian: no

> I have such a purpose, but not sure whether to use Group "users" or
> create a new Group (like "everyone") for that purpose. I do assume
> that some files are created by the system with the Group "users" since
> it is a standard Group.

There is "nogroup" too :-)

> I did notice if you do not have a User added to the Group Users, then
> he does not have access automatically.

There are other way to allow user to gain member of users. PAM.

Check and read
/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.html
and pam_group(5).

dpkg -L libpam-modules|grep man