Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Thierry Chatelet

Default adding application software after base installation

On Sunday 24 January 2010 21:53:03 John Williams wrote:
> Hello, this is my first post to the list. I have installed the Debian
> Lenny base system using a net install iso but without access to the
> internet. Now I have internet access and want to continue the
> installation to add a "productivity" group of application software. I
> could start from scratch again but wanted to avoid that to save some
> bandwidth. Is it possible?
> John.

I dont understand what you mean by 'productivity', but have a look at:
man tasksel.
Thierry

Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-24 at 15:53:03 -0500, John Williams wrote:
> Hello, this is my first post to the list. I have installed the Debian
> Lenny base system using a net install iso but without access to the
> internet. Now I have internet access and want to continue the
> installation to add a "productivity" group of application software. I
> could start from scratch again but wanted to avoid that to save some
> bandwidth. Is it possible?
> John.

Don't ask me how you installed Debian from a "net install iso" without
access to the internet. I don't see how that's possible. But anyway,
issue the command "tasksel" to continue the installation. If you want
to install an individual package or a list of packages, use "aptitude".

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Sunday 24 January 2010 22:35:11 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On 2010-01-24 at 15:53:03 -0500, John Williams wrote:
> > Hello, this is my first post to the list. I have installed the Debian
> > Lenny base system using a net install iso but without access to the
> > internet. Now I have internet access and want to continue the
> > installation to add a "productivity" group of application software. I
> > could start from scratch again but wanted to avoid that to save some
> > bandwidth. Is it possible?
> > John.
>
> Don't ask me how you installed Debian from a "net install iso" without
> access to the internet.

It is possible, but you get only a really basic install.
Thierry

Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Joe

On 2010-01-24 at 15:53:03 -0500, John Williams wrote:
Hello, this is my first post to the list. I have installed the Debian
Lenny base system using a net install iso but without access to the
internet. Now I have internet access and want to continue the
installation to add a "productivity" group of application software. I
could start from scratch again but wanted to avoid that to save some
bandwidth. Is it possible?

John.

Don't ask me how you installed Debian from a "net install iso" without
access to the internet. I don't see how that's possible. But anyway,
issue the command "tasksel" to continue the installation. If you want
to install an individual package or a list of packages, use "aptitude".

I would assume it's like etch. I installed etch from a netinstall, using
the Internet as you say, and then was extremely surprised to find that
afterwards not only was there no Internet access, there wasn't a trace
of networking installed. No scripts, no interfaces file etc.

Further experience showed me that unless:

a) there's a local DHCP server running, or
b) you asked for the expert installation mode

you don't get any networking. In my innocence, I reported this lack of
networking as a bug, and was tersely told that it wasn't. Yes, I know
*now*, but it didn't occur to me that 'expert mode' was necessary for a
routine installation. I do have a local DHCP server running now, but
didn't then.

--
Joe

Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-24 at 18:55:31 -0500, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Sunday 24 January 2010 22:35:11 Stephen Powell wrote:
> > Don't ask me how you installed Debian from a "net install iso" without
> > access to the internet.
>
> It is possible, but you get only a really basic install.

I keep forgetting that what I use is, strictly speaking, classified
as a "netboot" CD image rather than a "netinst" CD image. Thanks
for the reminder.

(Thierry, please excuse the duplicate e-mail. I accidentally replied
to you personally instead of the list the first time.)

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,25.Jan.10, 16:43:36, Joe wrote:

> a) there's a local DHCP server running, or
> b) you asked for the expert installation mode

That's strange! Whenever DHCP failed (e.g. because there wasn't any) I
had the option to configure the network manually (address, netmask,
gateway and DNS). For PPPoE you have to add some parameter when booting
if you don't want to go the expert route.

Regards,
Andrei