Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Default Highmem and lowmem

Roman Gelfand put forth on 1/23/2010 10:27 PM:
> What is the difference between them and why does debian distinguish the two?

Debian-users isn't a personal tutor, is it? Many/most of the questions you've
been asking have answers easily obtained via simple Google searches or in
readily available books.

For instance, first Google hit for "linux memory management":
http://linux-mm.org/

4th on the same results page:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/KernelAnalysis-HOWTO-7.html

8th on the same results page:
http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/11/30/linux-out-of-memory.html

Everything you need to know about how Linux manages memroy is in those pages.
Please research then ask here, not the other way round.

--
Stan

Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Freeman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_memory

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:37:13PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Roman Gelfand put forth on 1/23/2010 10:27 PM:
> > What is the difference between them and why does debian distinguish the two?
>
> Debian-users isn't a personal tutor, is it? Many/most of the questions you've
> been asking have answers easily obtained via simple Google searches or in
> readily available books.

If everyone did that initially, then there would only be a "few" messages
per month. Where's the fun in that?

--
Chris

Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Roman Gelfand

Point well taken. My appologies.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Chris Bannister put forth on 1/24/2010 5:50 AM:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:37:13PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Roman Gelfand put forth on 1/23/2010 10:27 PM:
>>> What is the difference between them and why does debian distinguish the two?
>>
>> Debian-users isn't a personal tutor, is it? Many/most of the questions you've
>> been asking have answers easily obtained via simple Google searches or in
>> readily available books.
>
> If everyone did that initially, then there would only be a "few" messages
> per month. Where's the fun in that?

I guess I'm just kinda down on Roman after he sent that Gmail invite to this
list a while ago. And it seems that he's using debian-users as a personal tutor
while building his system, asking here first thing every time he runs into a
small gotcha, even the really simple stuff. Look at his posts, and the volume
of such, for the past month.

We all need help now and then, but sheesh...

Maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical, as I tended to flood #debian on IRC eons ago
when I first started using Debian. And, guess what? The kind folks there told
me the same I told Roman: Make some effort to look this stuff up yourself
instead of flooding this forum.

--
Stan

Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
John Hasler

Stan Hoeppner writes:
> Look at his posts, and the volume of such, for the past month.

Don't you have a killfile?
--
John Hasler

Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Brian Ryans

Quoting Stan Hoeppner on 2010-01-24 14:08:57:
> And it seems that he's using debian-users as a personal tutor while
> building his system, asking here first thing every time he runs into a
> small gotcha, even the really simple stuff. Look at his posts, and the
> volume of such, for the past month.

I just do what several of my friends did to me when I first switched to
Debian, and back to *nix, after having been assimilated for so long by
the Borg: Just link to http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.
After a couple weeks, it caught on.

> Maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical, as I tended to flood #debian on
> IRC eons ago when I first started using Debian.

I wouldn't call it hypocrisy, Stan. I'd call it something one would grow
out of.

Anything else I can contribute to this thread has already been posted,
unfortunately.

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ UIN: 43190205 | Mail/MSN/Jabber: BrianLRyans@gmail.com ..:

Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-24 at 15:08:57 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> I guess I'm just kinda down on Roman after he sent that Gmail invite to this
> list a while ago. And it seems that he's using debian-users as a personal tutor
> while building his system, asking here first thing every time he runs into a
> small gotcha, even the really simple stuff. Look at his posts, and the volume
> of such, for the past month.
>
> We all need help now and then, but sheesh...
>
> Maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical, as I tended to flood #debian on IRC eons ago
> when I first started using Debian. And, guess what? The kind folks there told
> me the same I told Roman: Make some effort to look this stuff up yourself
> instead of flooding this forum.

I used to be an applications developer myself. I wrote custom software for users
at a large company. (Unfortunately, the specific skill sets I used back then,
such as PL/I, REXX, etc., are pretty much useless in Linux. But I digress.)
Anyway, after I wrote the program, I would of course also have to write the
documentation. For most systems that I wrote I would guess that about 20% of
my time was spent writing the documentation. I did the best job I could to
write documentation, and my manager, who spent very little time reviewing my
code, spent a great deal of his time reviewing my documentation. Documentation
was important to him as well. He wanted everyone on his staff to be known
for writing good documentation.

But some of the users tended to be lazy. It was quicker for them to pick up
the phone and call me and ask me how to do something than it was for them
to open the manual (hard copy in those days) and find the answer themselves.
With some users I had to get to the point where I would say, "The answer is
on page xx in the documentation. Read that section, then if you have any
questions give me a call back." Once they realized that they couldn't avoid
cracking the cover of the documentation, they usually stopped calling.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-24 at 18:18:28 -0500, Brian Ryans wrote:
> I just do what several of my friends did to me when I first switched to
> Debian, and back to *nix, after having been assimilated for so long by
> the Borg: Just link to http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.
> After a couple weeks, it caught on.

Great link, Brian. Thanks.