Old 01-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Sven Joachim

Default Octave compiled with debug symbols?

On 2010-01-23 18:08 +0100, George wrote:

> I installed the lenny Octave package and this is what I get:
>
> octave:1> octave_config_info ("CXXFLAGS")
> ans = -O2 -g
>
> Does this mean that Octave was built with debug symbols?

Yes.

> If so, why?

Because it makes debugging octave bugs possible? Note that the debug
symbols are stripped from the installed binaries and moved to a separate
octavex.y-dbg package.

See also the Debian Policy manual:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s10.1

Sven