Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default grub-probe on 4TB disk = painful

I've been having problems with 64-bit Lenny/Sid during kernel upgrades,
where grub-probe will take huge amount of CPU and a very long time to
complete--and apparently goes through the process numerous times in a
row during the upgrade process.

Part of the problem appears to be that grub-pc (grub2) is building a
blocklist each time. My boot partition is only 100MB, so I'm not sure
why that's such a painful process, but maybe the total size of the disk
is in play (it's a 4TB logical drive).

I was trying to figure out if there was a fix for this. In particular, I
was considering whether I could create a new bios_grub partition and
whether that might fix the problem.

Assuming that it would, my whole drive is already partitioned by parted,
and all physical partitions assigned. So, physical partition 1 is
already assigned to /boot; can I split that into 128K for bios_grub,
with the other 99MB as sda9 for /boot? I've never tried to split a
physical partition like that after all 4 physical partitions have
already been assigned, so I want to make sure that both grub-pc and the
partition table can both deal with that.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"