-   -   Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/313564-recommended-method-install-firefox-3-6-lenny-64-bits.html)

Camaleón 01-22-2010 07:02 PM

Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits)

Hello,

As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for Firefox
releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and Lenny is
shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on Releases
Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the latest Firefox
64 bits version.

Someone recommended me to perform a download of the package from
Mozilla's site and just extract the files into a directory and run it
directly from there, but as all my plugins are also 64 bits version
(java, flash...) I prefer to install a 64 bits browser.

So I wonder what is the easiest method to get the latest version of
Firefox (64 bits) without breaking anything :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 01-22-2010 07:17 PM

On Friday 22 January 2010 14:02:13 Camaleón wrote:
> As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for Firefox
> releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and Lenny is
> shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on Releases
> Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the latest Firefox
> 64 bits version.

From what I understand, the debian-security guys will still backport fixes to
iceweasel in Lenny as needed until security support is terminated for Lenny.

That's how I get my "firefox".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Sven Joachim 01-22-2010 07:21 PM

On 2010-01-22 21:17 +0100, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> From what I understand, the debian-security guys will still backport fixes to
> iceweasel in Lenny as needed until security support is terminated for Lenny.

Not really, actually security support for Iceweasel could end rather
soon.

http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#mozilla-security

Sven

Sven Joachim 01-22-2010 07:39 PM

On 2010-01-22 21:02 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

> As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for Firefox
> releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and Lenny is
> shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on Releases
> Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the latest Firefox
> 64 bits version.

I'm afraid the answer is "build it from source yourself". There's no
official 64-bit tarball (and most likely there won't be any before
Firefox 4.0), and builds from other distributions will likely require
newer libraries than available in Lenny.

Try "aptitude build-dep xulrunner-1.9 iceweasel" to install the required
development packages.

Sven

Mark 01-22-2010 07:59 PM

Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits)

>On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

* >On 2010-01-22 21:17 +0100, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
**

**
> From what I understand, the debian-security guys will still backport fixes to
**
> iceweasel in Lenny as needed until security support is terminated for Lenny.

>Not really, actually security support for Iceweasel could end rather

>soon.

> http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#mozilla-security

So is epiphany a better bet for safe browing if/when this happens?

Mark

Sven Hoexter 01-22-2010 09:27 PM

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 09:39:27PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-01-22 21:02 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for Firefox
> > releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and Lenny is
> > shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on Releases
> > Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the latest Firefox
> > 64 bits version.
>
> I'm afraid the answer is "build it from source yourself". There's no
> official 64-bit tarball (and most likely there won't be any before
> Firefox 4.0), and builds from other distributions will likely require
> newer libraries than available in Lenny.

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl added Iceweasel 3.5 and the complementing
xulrunner release to backports.org a few days ago. So far I can see build
packages for amd64 and ppc.
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=iceweasel&suite=lenny-backports

If and when backports of Iceweasel 3.6 will be available depends on when
it will enter testing and if it's possible to build it on lenny.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world

Camaleón 01-22-2010 09:28 PM

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:17:04 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Friday 22 January 2010 14:02:13 Camaleón wrote:
>> As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for
>> Firefox releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and
>> Lenny is shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on
>> Releases Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the
>> latest Firefox 64 bits version.
>
> From what I understand, the debian-security guys will still backport
> fixes to iceweasel in Lenny as needed until security support is
> terminated for Lenny.
>
> That's how I get my "firefox".

That was my first thought, too.

And went to backport lists and saw some movement on this:

***
Accepted iceweasel 3.5.6-1~bpo50+1 (source all amd64)
http://lists.backports.org/lurker-bpo/message/20100116.120653.e7d54ae9.en.html
***

But I don't know what does it mean. This is the first time I have to deal
with "backports" infrastructure and I dunno how to interpret those
messages.

And there is also what Sven Joachim said, about Lenny policy on Mozilla
products... and that time has now come. I'm a bit confused.

So, do you think the package will be available in backports for stable
release (Lenny) or just indicates the package is being tested for another
branch (unstable/testing)? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 01-22-2010 09:50 PM

On Friday 22 January 2010 16:28:37 Camaleón wrote:
> And went to backport lists and saw some movement on this:
>
> ***
> Accepted iceweasel 3.5.6-1~bpo50+1 (source all amd64)
> http://lists.backports.org/lurker-bpo/message/20100116.120653.e7d54ae9.en.h
> tml ***
>
> But I don't know what does it mean. This is the first time I have to deal
> with "backports" infrastructure and I dunno how to interpret those
> messages.

It's just another repository. It isn't official, yet, but I think there was
some movement on that. (It would be nice for backports and volatile to be
able to use the existing mirror network; I don't know many Debian users that
can go completely without them.)

The "backports" repository is completely separate from the action "to
backport" that the security team sometimes does for patches. "To backport" a
patch is to take a patch for version X+n of a program and modify it to apply
to version X of a program.

> So, do you think the package will be available in backports for stable
> release (Lenny) or just indicates the package is being tested for another
> branch (unstable/testing)? :-?

Backports is packages from testing (and rarely unstable) that have been build
under a stable environment and should be installable without pulling any
packages from testing/unstable. They are not part of stable, since the
upstream version wasn't available or wasn't ready at release time, however
they should "play nice" with stable.

I've occasionally pulled packages from there, but less so now. I've been
following KDE 4.x since 4.2 entered unstable by using a mixed system. With
testing/unstable available simply, I don't much use backports. I did pull
down pidgin from backports recently though.

As far as iceweasel availability in backports goes, see Sven Hoexter's
message.

mess-mate 01-23-2010 08:30 AM

[...]

The latest firefox is 3.7.

I'm running firefox 3.6 Beta4 and it runs as a charm (amd64).

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6/releasenotes/

mess-mate

Camaleón 01-23-2010 01:40 PM

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:50:57 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Friday 22 January 2010 16:28:37 Camaleón wrote:

>> So, do you think the package will be available in backports for stable
>> release (Lenny) or just indicates the package is being tested for
>> another branch (unstable/testing)? :-?

(...)

> As far as iceweasel availability in backports goes, see Sven Hoexter's
> message.

Okay, thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it :-)

I think I'll wait a bit to see if it gets available under "backports" and
try to update from there.

I just have arrived to Debian (switched from openSUSE) and I'm still not
so skilled with the requirements for package compilation in this
distribution.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón