Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Kelly Clowers

Default Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 20:39, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-01-22 21:02 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for Firefox
>> releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and Lenny is
>> shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on Releases
>> Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the latest Firefox
>> 64 bits version.
>
> I'm afraid the answer is "build it from source yourself". *There's no
> official 64-bit tarball (and most likely there won't be any before
> Firefox 4.0), and builds from other distributions will likely require
> newer libraries than available in Lenny.

But there are 64-bit Linux nightlies available. And if you dl, extract and
run one of those, it will automatically update from trunk (i.e. it will never
branch for 3.7, just move from 3.7pre to 3.8pre). I have found nightlies
to be very stable, as is the 64-bit Flash beta (the only plugin I use).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Rob Owens

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 09:21:55PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-01-22 21:17 +0100, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>
> > From what I understand, the debian-security guys will still backport fixes to
> > iceweasel in Lenny as needed until security support is terminated for Lenny.
>
> Not really, actually security support for Iceweasel could end rather
> soon.
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#mozilla-security

I'm concerned about the way this is handled. I understand that
continuing support in Debian once upstream support has stopped may be
infeasible, but is ceasing support while offering no alternatives (and
not much warning) really the best solution?

I'll confess that I never read the release notes until now, but I think
admins should get more warning about this issue. In the release notes,
"Your web browser will cease to get security updates" falls in between a
notice that "NetworkManager doesn't play nice with NIS" and "There are
no huge changes in the KDE Desktop". An internet app w/o security
updates seems vastly more important than the issues that surround it in
the release notes.

At the very least what I would have liked to see was an update to
Iceweasel that doesn't actually update the software, but issues a
warning to the admin that security updates have ceased. One step better
would be to include a supported version of Iceweasel in Lenny main. I
know it's against Debian policy to add new versions during a stable
release. But isn't it also Debian policy to provide security updates for
the life of the release? (I may be assuming that last bit, but I hope
not).

Anyway, I've now installed Iceweasel 3.5 from backports. I just wish I
could have gotten it from the Debain main repo that I know and trust.
This is not a shot against the guys who run backports.org. It's just
that I don't think backports is intended to be a substitute for
security.debian.org.

-Rob

Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-27 02:36 +0100, Rob Owens wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 09:21:55PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>>
>> Not really, actually security support for Iceweasel could end rather
>> soon.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#mozilla-security
>>

> I'm concerned about the way this is handled. I understand that
> continuing support in Debian once upstream support has stopped may be
> infeasible, but is ceasing support while offering no alternatives (and
> not much warning) really the best solution?

There are certainly alternatives, basically any package that provides
the www-browser virtual package.

> I'll confess that I never read the release notes until now, but I think
> admins should get more warning about this issue. In the release notes,
> "Your web browser will cease to get security updates" falls in between a
> notice that "NetworkManager doesn't play nice with NIS" and "There are
> no huge changes in the KDE Desktop". An internet app w/o security
> updates seems vastly more important than the issues that surround it in
> the release notes.

Personally I would prefer if packages whose security support has ended
were removed in point releases, but that is not always possible because
other packages may (build-)depend on them. Such was the case with
Iceape in Etch.

> At the very least what I would have liked to see was an update to
> Iceweasel that doesn't actually update the software, but issues a
> warning to the admin that security updates have ceased. One step better
> would be to include a supported version of Iceweasel in Lenny main. I
> know it's against Debian policy to add new versions during a stable
> release.

Yes. New versions have to be installed from backports.org. In case of
Iceweasel there is also the problem that Debian ships many extensions
which may not be compatible with a new major version.

> But isn't it also Debian policy to provide security updates for
> the life of the release? (I may be assuming that last bit, but I hope
> not).

Yes, in the case of Mozilla packages it is lack of manpower and upstream
support that defeats this, unfortunately.

> Anyway, I've now installed Iceweasel 3.5 from backports. I just wish I
> could have gotten it from the Debain main repo that I know and trust.
> This is not a shot against the guys who run backports.org. It's just
> that I don't think backports is intended to be a substitute for
> security.debian.org.

You can trust backports.org insofar as only Debian developers can upload
packages there and only backports of versions that are already in
testing are allowed. I think that making backports.org officially
supported (as much as testing and unstable) is the goal, but lack of
manpower for security support holds this back for now.

Sven

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:57:05AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-01-27 02:36 +0100, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I've now installed Iceweasel 3.5 from backports. I just wish I
> > could have gotten it from the Debain main repo that I know and trust.
> > This is not a shot against the guys who run backports.org. It's just
> > that I don't think backports is intended to be a substitute for
> > security.debian.org.
>
> You can trust backports.org insofar as only Debian developers can upload
> packages there and only backports of versions that are already in
> testing are allowed. I think that making backports.org officially
> supported (as much as testing and unstable) is the goal, but lack of
> manpower for security support holds this back for now.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

-Rob